• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our family tree: Weddings

Here's my Mom and Dad on their wedding day, 23rd May 1942. He was serving on HMS Berwick then - the Russian convoys - and was home on leave. They were married at St Barnabus, Erdington. This shot was probably at a photographic studio by the look of the background. My Dad told me all the family saved their ration coupons for the food and drink at the reception.

Nice photo.David, one that makes you think.The horrors of the Russian convoys,and here is a young couple,looking to the future,determined to forge a life together.

Thanks Ray. Later that year he was transferred to HMS King George V and spent the remaining years in the Pacific. He was there at the surrender by the Admiral of the Japanese Fleet. In fact I still have a dinner plate from one of the Japanese vessels, lovely white with a gold rim. We used to have several but Mom managed to break most of them over the years!

David,
Did you ever apply to the navy for your dad's service record,I ask, because I did it for my father-in-law,from the info they gave me I was able to trace what ship he was on and where he was at any given time over a 22 year period.

Have found a couple of old wedding photos from Enids side of the family, one in 1929, which someone may
be able to clean up a bit, the better one 1934/35, I knew quite a few of them, Bernard

View attachment 43587Ray, yes my Dad had his Service Record. It makes fascinating reading. As well as stating that he had volunteered "until the end of the period of the present emergency"!! it also gives dates etc when he was based on which vessel or training site. Here's a pic I posted before of his "class" at Royal Arthur nr Skegness where he went for his assessment and kitting out. He's 3rd row down 5th from the right. From there he went to HMS Raleigh, HMS Cabot and HMS Victory before his first "real" stint on board HMS Berwick.

B*gger, it's not letting me upload now after I've done several before!:(

Sadly the worst of the damage was across two ladies faces, so they don't look like their real selves now, but here's my quick attempt for you Bernard.

Thanks Lloyd, its a difficult one, the lady concerned would have been my mother in law but she died in May 1954, just before we got married in August 54.
Life is never fair, Edith who was a really lovely lady died at 45, her two sisters both lived into their 80s, Fate robbed my two children Stephanie and Paul of a
wonderful Nana. I only knew her for two years but in that short time we got on really well. Thanks again Bernard

This is a family group photo taken on the wedding day of my mothers sister Eva Goode to Ivor Bowers in 1937. My gran and grandad are on the right. i am sitting on my grans lap. My uncle Ted is standing between his future wife and her sister. The photo was probably taken in my granparents garden in Kathleen Road, Hay Mills.

View attachment 43691

I have managed to repost mine at #106 and #107 but they seem to be rather large ?? I didnt seem to be able to add them as attachments ??

Here is one of my favourite family wedding photos from about 1909/10
Ped_Wedding_aa.jpg

Baron, this is the first time I have read this thread but will fish out some of our photos to post - mom and dads will be of interest to you, they also got married at St Peters, Maney, in 1958, as soon as hubby is off the computer will do some scanning. Not many pics though, Dads parents and moms parents both had shotgun weddings, with no photos and dads aunts and uncles never married with the exception of one uncle who emigrated to Australia!
Sue

The photos show an early 1930's wedding in Perry Common, my Mom was a bridesmaid for her sister Phylis.
Let's hope that some of the lost photos will eventually be restored in their original posts of this thread
My Mom and her sister in the churchyard of St Johns Church Lane Perry Barr. The little bridesmaid decided to make the photo unusual with her left foot.
1_OldPH051.jpg

My Mom's Parents in the churchyard. My Dad just behind.
2_OldPH056.jpg

The Groom and Bride on the left, my Mom and Dad on the right.
3_OldPH053.jpg

Broomhill Road Perry Common looking towards Oscott College.
4_OldPH058.jpg

Another photo in the garden at Broomhill Rd. Hastings Rd School on the right. The road and the school are long gone. The Groom and a family friend.
5_OldPH057.jpg

Last edited:
Back