• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our family tree: Weddings

Hi Lindyloo - I was looking at the last but one photo where the little bridesmaid is standing with her foot strangely placed - perhaps she was bored !
I love looking at everyone's old photos on the forum.
oldmohawk

Michael's grandmothers sister's wedding in 1909, They married at St Barnabus in Balsall Heath. Michael's grandparents are at the back in the middle.

Brewer_Family_Edited~0.jpg

Hi Lindyloo - I was looking at the last but one photo where the little bridesmaid is standing with her foot strangely placed - perhaps she was bored !
I love looking at everyone's old photos on the forum.
oldmohawk

I hadn't noticed that old Mohawk, it does look very strange...I love all the old photo's too :)

Wendy, thats a great photo, .......I often wonder though, why few people smiled in the old photos, ...maybe it wasn't the "done thing" ?

I liked Wendy's photo and also thought about why so few people smiled in photos taken earlier than about 1920, they seemed to smile in later years. Perhaps the photo taking was an important part of the wedding and possibly only one take, so it had to be right.
Lindyloo - I'm amazed at those hats in your photo in post #114
oldmohawk

Just replacing wedding photos of my Uncle Bill & Aunt Freda's wedding at Erdington Parish Church in 1945 as the war was ending.
Money was tight, all spent on the wedding, so we all went to the Pavilion Cinema in the evening. I also went and saw a newsreel of an Atom Bomb dropped on Japan.

My sister is a bridesmaid and I'm on the right. Notices for the 1945 General Election are on the church wall.
1_BillandFredas_Wedding.jpg

The Pavilion Cinema we went to. The mood of those times was such that the audience cheered when film of the atom bomb was shown.
wylde_green_pavilion.jpg

s_Wedding_9Aug1904_28129.jpg

My grandparents Harry Jukes and Catherine Jane Collins, married at St Andrews, Bordesley on 9th August 1904. Their addresses as shown on the marriage certificate were 64 Glovers Road and 43 Cattell Road but unfortunately I don't know where the photo was taken. The vicar was Rev J H Richards who later became Provost of Birmingham Cathedral.

64 Glovers Road (click to see)

43 Cattell Road is no longer there - a superstore opposite St Andrews football gound occupies its site.

St Andrews Church has also gone, but here's where it was,at the junction of St Andrews Road and St Andrews Street, its now replaced by this, but is seen here and here in it's better days.

Doesn't my dads mom look severe? you'd think she was at a funeral, not a wedding lol!Mom and Dads wedding 6th December 1958 at St Peters,Maney, Sutton Coldfield

Attachments

• img087.jpg
    img087.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 37
  • img088.jpg
    img088.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 46
  • img089.jpg
    img089.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 41
My mom was manageress at Linnels Bridal shop ( dont know the spelling) first on the Litchfield Rd Aston then they moved to Erdington High St probably in the late 30's. I bet she dressed a few of the brides on here as it was a very popular shop, only wish I had a picture of it.

Doesn't my dads mom look severe? you'd think she was at a funeral, not a wedding lol!Mom and Dads wedding 6th December 1958 at St Peters,Maney, Sutton Coldfield

Sue what lovely photo's I think most of the ladies of your gran's era look a bit scary on photo's.

Albumn Photos 001.jpgMy parents wedding 1935 Howard Bourne & Mary Doreen Parker daughter of Alfred Parker & Emily May Parker nee Bigland, who are on the left of the photo

Hi are you related to Elizabeth Mary Peckover
Here's a picture of my dad's cousin Ellen (Nellie) Parry (Née Handley) at her second marriage, to Arthur Peckover in 1949. It would be great to hear from anyone who recognises anybody in the pitcure.
View attachment 42398
Here's a picture of my dad's cousin Ellen (Nellie) Parry (Née Handley) at her second marriage, to Arthur Peckover in 1949. It would be great to hear from anyone who recognises anybody in the pitcure.
View attachment 42398
who lived in Harborne

Back