• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our childhood toys

I expect every age is the 'golden age' for each generation, after all they know no better, but I think I did quite well. There were a lot of quality toys available at pocket-money prices. We quickly worked out the merits of tin-plate, die-cast and plastic materials, a useful life-skills training, the right material for the right job.

Something else that I had was independence. Just about every newsagent sold a range of decent toys and there were many newsagents within walking distance, (and of course I was allowed to walk!). I knew in advance what I might want to have, a few pennies would buy a catalogue or price list that could be eagerly studied and plans made!

I wasn't restricted to the newsagents either, a trip to the Post Office, a postal order, clipped coupon or short note and a few days later 'Master S' was the proud owner of a new purchase, (sometimes to the consternation of the parents!).

I'm sure many of my generation sent off for the 'Seebackroscope' or 'Throw Your Voice' instructions, complete with the dangerous looking 'swazzle' or that clear-plastic 'ten-in-one' device, (most of which were variations on magnifiers, plus a mirror and compass).

But then today's youngster just raises their voice above the noise of their computer game and says, "ALEXA! Buy me a ...", and it all goes on a parent's card?
View attachment 140320
1577873466878.png

that radio would have been every young boys dream, I had a radio given to me at a very early age and now have this obsession with old vintage radios, I remember as a kid, my dad started his own business in a small shed in the garden and I used to sit for hours with him listening to the cricket commentary from far away from Australia, or radio five football night. I'd take radio over T. V any day of the week

Before I could stretch to a transistor radio, as boy I made myself a crystal set from parts bought from a shop in town, whose name I can't remember. Having soldered the few components in accordance with a circuit drawing I had, and spread a thin wire around my bedroom ceiling to act as an aerial, I could twiddle with the little tuning device and sit up late at night listening to Radio Caroline and other stations on my little bakelite headphones. Does anybody else remember their crystal set?

Before I could stretch to a transistor radio, as boy I made myself a crystal set from parts bought from a shop in town, whose name I can't remember. Having soldered the few components in accordance with a circuit drawing I had, and spread a thin wire around my bedroom ceiling to act as an aerial, I could twiddle with the little tuning device and sit up late at night listening to Radio Caroline and other stations on my little bakelite headphones. Does anybody else remember their crystal set?
Those crystal sets were a good learning curve for boys and girls interested in radio, at the time, to actually go to a shop and bring home some components to build your own radio, then hear it working would have been wonderful. I still think radio is an amazing invention, to hear voices and music coming through airwaves and to be able to listen to it anywhere you like at anytime

see #344.....i built a lot from bits.1577875150089.png

.Having soldered the few components in accordance with a circuit drawing I had, and spread a thin wire around my bedroom ceiling to act as an aerial...
Picture rails, (remember them?) were good for that. I bought a box of single-core insulated cable from Civic in Sheldon for use as an aerial. It was possibly sold just for that purpose. I never saw cable like it elsewhere, the insulation was quite thick and it very strongly smelled of town gas.
Most of my radio parts came from advertisers in Wireless World, a magazine that my dad had bought from his late teens. There was a very good shop across the road from Lewis's that I visited a few times in the late 1960s. Wasn't Hurst Street home to a few electronics-based shops? Henry's, Bi-Pre-Pak, Electrovalue and Maplin (customer 2457) were some of my postal suppliers.

I had one for Xmas in the early 60s. I think my Dad bought it from The Army and Navy Store, the headphones looked military like with a black metal headband, Bakelite ear cups and khaki coloured wire which attached to two terminals on a wooden box with a speaker like grill on the front , though it emitted no sound! I couldn't understand how it could work, having no power supply and was even more confused when I took the back off to reveal a couple of soldered wires and what looked like a glass filament. The only connection to the box as I recall was a wire which was attached to a earthing rod outside in the garden? I think he bought them for my cousins too and later made one for himself, though this one was powered by a small battery, maybe this was an early attempt at making a transistor radio?

that radio would have been every young boys dream, I had a radio given to me at a very early age and now have this obsession with old vintage radios, I remember as a kid, my dad started his own business in a small shed in the garden and I used to sit for hours with him listening to the cricket commentary from far away from Australia, or radio five football night. I'd take radio over T. V any day of the week
I wanted to respond to this but it was off thread so posted it on

Very much so......It took me a while to get it working and my parents did not appreciate the wires around my bedroom. Every once in a while I would come home and they were gone! My mother had enough.....

Very much so......It took me a while to get it working and my parents did not appreciate the wires around my bedroom. Every once in a while I would come home and they were gone! My mother had enough.....
:joy:i hid my very thin wires under the skirting board. and through the corner of the window to the outside.

as i was into electrics.i bought one of these for 10/- 1577884956762.pngto tinker with. and so did my mate next door. we conected them.and was talking at night. mom did draw the line at that. we was e:(victed to the garden shed and air raid shelter.as coms rooms

And dozens of amateur stamp dealers making a bit of money on the side. I bet that they and the many in Exchange & Mart were frequent recipients of letters from the Inland Revenue!

Maurice :cool:

Alan had that Money Box for years.Gave it to my G/son for his 10 birthday last year.He loved the smiling face

Back