• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ossy Osbourne

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
I only noticed this set into the pavement on Boad Street the other day. Now hear there's another for Jasper Carrot. I'll have to sort that one out.

Thanks Chris. I find the list of present nominations strange as most of the candidates are from Smethwick or the Black Country.???

Thanks Chris. I find the list of present nominations strange as most of the candidates are from Smethwick or the Black Country.???

Yes, I agree. Plant was born in West Brom and brought up in Halesowen then Kidderminster. Holder is from Walsall.

But Julie Walters was born in Edgbaston and moved out to Smethwick, so she's fine. It annoys me that they won't put dead people on there. Michael Balcon and Oscar Deutch (sp?) should be there.

Ossy

Hi There Everybody
What About Julie Walters,
She His A Thorogh Bred Born And Bred
And She Spent Her Money On Brummie Soil ,
I Knew Julie Personely Way Back In 1959-1960 ,before She Made It Big Time On The Boards We Shared The Same Resturant As Well Down At The Grove Dudley Road ,
Also Don,t Forget The Lads From Aston ,roy Wood The Moody Blues
Raymond Froggit . Tommy Iomie Who His Still Famous In His Own Right Who Helped Barmy Ossie To Fame With His Backing
Tommy As Not Changed In All These Years Even His Cruisifix We Have Plenty From Handsworth To Choose From, With Out Tommy He Would Nothave Got There
I Remember Ossie When He Was A Nipper And He Broke His Arm
I Got Knocked Down Outside The Astoria Which Changed To The Atv Studios , We Used To Get Picked Up Every Week In An Ambulance To Take Us To See Thedoctors At The Old General Hospital I Would Be Lying Down On The Stretcher And He Would Have To Sit With The Old Dears On The Seats We Used To Talk To Each Other
But Getting Back To The Walk Of Fame We Have Got Plenty Of Stars Who Are Brummies Whom Made It Big

Astonian just a little correction to your memory, it's Toni Iommi not Tommy I knew him years ago when he lived in Kingstanding his Mom was lovely a real Italian Mom! I remember he lost the tips of some of his fingers in a factory accident and thought he would never play again. Just shows what determination can do. My hubby has met him and his beautiful wife recently he's a nice bloke, as you say there are so many who should be in the walk of fame. I just love Julie Walters!

I've nominated Roy Wood and Nigel Kennedy. There are loads of famous Brummies who should be on there. What about Tony Hancock? I did wonder about Cliff Richard myself! :rolleyes: So glad Ozzy was the first though, I think he's done his fair share of publicity for Brum.

Well said Harborne, I had forgotten Nigel he's brilliant, although he lives in Poland now!

I agree that Oscar Deutch (the founder of the Odeon chain of cinemas) and Michael Balcon (great film director) should be included.
And absolutely - Tony Hancock!

Not an entertainer but what about Anne Jones the tennis player, the only Brit to win a championship at Wimbledom since Fred Perry in the 1930s. She was Birmingham born and bred and still lives here.

Tony Britton
Born Erdington 1924
Star of Sceen, T.V. and Stage.

cheers,

pmc1947

pmc 1947 Nice to see you mentioned Tony Britton a great old brummie who is still alive and kicking, his Ma use to be in the box office of the old Aston Hipp.on the night and during the day time worked at Kynochs as did her husband ...later on in life they ran the Trocadero pub in Temple St and the Market Hotel in Market St next to the old Brum Rep. a little know fact is that his daughter is Fern Britton
Tony was born in Marsh Lane Erdington

It annoys me that they won't put dead people on there.

Aint Tony Hancock dead ?:Aah:

Jim if they put dead people on .. Chamberlain would be at the top of the list and all our other great men and women... and the stars would circle Brum in no time .....now its all about the X factor & footballers and anyone who is on the TV...

Here are some I don't thinks been mentioned-
Trevor Eve,
Ian Lavender,
Toyah Wilcox,
Stevie Winwood
And I think he is still alive, Kenny Baker.

Ossie

Hi Moma P
Just For The Record ,
We His Friends Long Before Ossie And The Band Made The Big Time
And Before He Got His Reconision In The Media With Ossie
We All Used To Drink Together When We Was Young , Along With His
Cousin , Whom His A Female And Younger Than Toni Himself ,
Was Also Called [toni]. Down At The Smiths Arms ,on Winson Green Rd Winson Green Next To The Prison ,
We All Hung Out Together,
And He Always, Mostly Carry His Guitar In The Case With Him
In The Early Days ; If They Was Doing A Gig Some Where
To Us Down At The Green We All Used To Call Him Tommy
Thats Why I Refered To Him As Tommy
People Outside Whom Never Knew Him Called Him Toni,
Which Appropiately His His Correct Name Toni
But Nearly Every Body Now Knows Him As Toni Okay ,
Since He Made Good It Was Ashame Ossie Did,nt Keep The Boys
Just Like Toni As Kept Wearing That Lovely Cross He Wears
From Day One ,right Up Today
It Was Them Whom Made Ossie , And He Only Made It At The Top
Through Doing Out Ragest Acts To Draw His Attention
But I Must Admitt He,s Done Well ,
He,s Always Been A Live Wire Ossie ,even At The Age Of 12 Years Old When He Broke His Arm Down In Lodge Rd Witton Aston
When We Picked Him Up From His House With His Mom In The Ambulance To Take Him To The General Hospital In The 50,s
Any Way I Won,t Waffle On About That , Thats Another Story
But Getting Back To Tommy , [ Whoops ] I Mean Toni
Thats Why I Said Tommy , Not Because Of My Lost Memory Okay
Have A Nice Day Best Wishes Astonian ,
-------

Could the selection of suitable people be restricted to those who reflect the revelling night-life of Broad Street and that's why it's so limited, d'you think? So, f'instance, Frothblowers suggestions would be cut to Toyah and Stevie.

How about from the world of sport - Nigel Mansell ? Grew up in Brum although I believe he was born down Worcester way and came to Birmingham as a babe in arms ( maybe wrong ).

Try typing GRAHAM WEBB in the search bar of this site.
Now thats a TRUE BRUMMIE CHAMPION.

Robert Plant.

:confused: I thought Robert Plant went to school in Stourbridge?. He now lives the other side of the river from Lower Arley. I think Steve Winward deserves a star. I believe he was born in Atlantic road just round the corner from Dias. Used to watch the Spencer Davis group at the Carlton club in Erdington. TTFN. Jean. :confused:

How many of us would tune into Radio 1 on a Tuesday lunchtime for the latest charts and the new number one with Johnnie Walker - born Peter Dingley in Birmingham in 1945. Now on Radio 2 with an excellent show on Sunday afternoon.

I've heard Duran Duran will be getting a satr on Broad st. Doeas anyone know anything?

Back