• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Osler Street Ladywood

I think Lavinia Terrace is just the short row of houses and Alfred Terrace are the two rows opposite each other (one green, one red).

If Lavinia Terrace were the two green rows then no's 11 to 14 would occur twice.

So, on your photo I think you've marked 13 Reservoir Terrace.

I think Lavinia Terrace is just the short row of houses and Alfred Terrace are the two rows opposite each other (one green, one red).

If Lavinia Terrace were the two green rows then no's 11 to 14 would occur twice.

So, on your photo I think you've marked 13 Reservoir Terrace.
Hi MWS, You're correct, I've looked at older maps and found these houses were first known by a court number before they were know by the terrace name. So I've edited my previous posts to reflect this. Must have been a nightmare for the postman.

Phil

Last edited:
Looking at the latest info and the image in post#18, number 13 was not a 'back to back' house when most of the other houses were 'back to backs'.

My mother, Edith Chinn lived at 15 Reservoir Terrace with her sister Annie. Her parents were Sarah-Maria and John Chinn. Annie married and moved away to Northend, then in deep countryside, and Edith herself married George Littlewood, they moved to Bearwood, Smethwick in early 1950s. She took me to see the terrace before it was demolished in 1963, I think? I have some family photos of people and a few pictures of old Ladywood. Mum worked at CWS wholesale until she moved. We did visit Ladywood,especially Coxwell Road where her friend Hilda Buffery lived. Beatrice Cuff was another old friend. Mum had a fund of stories including the Zeppelin raid and the fire bombing of Docker's paints. People lived hard lives, but there was a close community.

Sarah Maria and John Chinn were in service at a big house in Edgbaston, but lived out. They were cook-housekeeper and gardener. Sarah Maria Clarke was born on a narrow boat in Tipton Basin. When first they married they lived in Parker Street.

Anyway good to see this thread.

I'd speculate that it was Rotton Park Terrace on the left and Helena Terrace on the right. Rotton Park Terrace seems to be the only one with at least 6 houses in row with no break, front houses that are slightly bigger and a building opposite the path. Map from 1950...

0 - Osler St.jpg

I'd speculate that it was Rotton Park Terrace on the left and Helena Terrace on the right. Rotton Park Terrace seems to be the only one with at least 6 houses in row with no break, front houses that are slightly bigger and a building opposite the path. Map from 1950...

View attachment 183683
Thank you! That's a great map too. I appreciate it.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hello. Does anyone knowledgeable about Ladywood know where "Owens' Buildings" were located?

I believe they were on or adjacent to Osler Street. The 1871 census seems to place them between 46 and 47 Osler Street (I assume the street numbering has changed since 1871). House numbers 1 to 12 Owens' Buildings were recorded in the census.

Looking at the map posted above, I am wondering if "Owens' Buildings" was "Court No 3" ... ?

1696445515054.png

Last edited:
Owens Buildings are not listed on the 1890 map but that's not uncommon, the name may have changed. You could try to match residents from 1871 to 1881 and see if any correspond.

There are a few from 1871 still on Osler St in 1881. I can't see the 1871 scans, was Josiah Dugmore at no. 3 or James Peatman at no. 10?

No not cort 3 , but cannot say much more. I tried to associate the numbering pre 1880 and in 1880, when the numbering changed. Only got two positions on that side of the road that I can definitely place the position of ,(19 and 50) and one where i know the approximate position of it, but think the building may have changed , so position is approximate. (27). Have marked these in red on the map . this would indicate that Owens buildings are either to the south of the school or possibly where the school is . It was there in the 1880s map, but was not built till 1875.

Osler St 1950s with nos pre  1880 in red.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you MWS for the suggestion of matching people between the 1871 & 1881 censuses and for your two suggested individuals. I managed to find several 'Owens Buildings' families from 1871 in the 1881 census. Most were further away in Birmingham or Aston, although Josiah Dugmore & family who were were at 10 Owens' Buildings (not 3) in 1871, were not too far away in 1881, at 11, Back 263, Icknield Port Road.

However ... James Peatman & family, who were at 12 Owens' Buildings in 1871, were at House 12, Court No 10 Osler Street in 1881.

Now that's really interesting, because Court No 10 is exactly where mikejee suspected Owens' Buildings would be based on the street numbers - just south of the school. So Court No 10 is now my leading suspect for the elusive Owens' Buildings.

Thank you so much, both. I am a newbie here (that was my first post), and I was amazed at how quickly you posted such considered and helpful replies :)

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Birmingham Gazette, April 1940.
”A.R.P. workers at Osler-street ambulance service post, Birmingham, hung their work at their own exhibition last night.
There were more than 100 entries. Voluntary and paid worker worked equally enthusiastically for an effort which took the place of their usual recreation.”

IMG_5635.jpeg

Back