• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Osbourne family Hurst Street

Marchesgirl

proper brummie kid
In 1881, John and Sarah Osbourne were living in the Courts on Hurst Street, Birmingham with their children: Sarah Jane, Mary Elizabeth, Phoebe, George Henry and Joseph. John Osbourne, a Miller by trade, was originally from Evesham in Worcestershire whilst his wife Sarah (nee Cardo) was born in Wordsley in Staffordshire. They married at Dudley in 1867 and settled in Wordsley before moving to Swan Village, West Bromwich and then to Great Bridge before arriving at Hurst Street between 1877 and 1880.

A few months after the census was taken, John and Sarah's youngest son, Joseph, died at the age of 1. Less than two years later, John Osborne died aged 40 followed, in the first few months of 1886 by his eldest daughter and wife. All of them died in Birmingham but were buried at Wordsley. Sarah's death certificate gives the cause of her death as Pulmonary Phthisis, from which she had suffered for 1 year. Given the cramped conditions in Hurst Street, and the infectious nature of the disease, it seems likely that her daughter and husband also suffered from this condition.

I have no idea why their bodies were taken back to Wordsley for burial and am intrigued to know how the bodies would have been transported. Canal seems the most likely explanation. I would be very grateful for any assistance.

First thought would be that there was a family plot in Wordsley or the family had a long connection with the church there.

It appears Sarah's mother and brother were still living in there in 1881.

Thank you for your response, MWS. The Cardo family were certainly connected to the church at Wordsley and used it for baptisms and burials from when it opened in 1832. They may have had a family plot but there is no monumental inscription for this family; in fact, many of the graves in the older section of the churchyard have no gravestones at all. Sarah's brother Edward (Edwin) registered her death so she obviously maintained contact with her family. I just find it strange that a family with fairly limited disposable income would go to the expense of transporting 4 bodies such a distance although it would enable Sarah's family to visit and maintain the grave.

Probably cheaper than buying a new plot in Birmingham. Especially if a friend or relative with a farm cart moved them to Wordsley to a family plot.
Thank you for your response - I admit I hadn't considered a farm cart. The church in Wordsley is only a quarter of a mile from the canal so my first thought was that might be how they transported the bodies. However, I've no idea whether that would have been allowed.

Thank you for your response - I admit I hadn't considered a farm cart. The church in Wordsley is only a quarter of a mile from the canal so my first thought was that might be how they transported the bodies. However, I've no idea whether that would have been allowed.
Didn't realise it was that close to the canal. I would think canal could be used - again relative or friend running a barge.

Back