• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Osborne, Garrett & Co Ltd

Arnold Mason

master brummie
My grandfather worked for this company for 50 years.
Mom and dad had a lamp standard with an engraved plaque which was presented to him but unfortunately I don't have it now.
The company were wholesale suppliers of hairdressing items under their trademark "Ogee" which people may recognize. I have occasionally seen some Ogee items for sale.
My grandfather-Fredrick William Mason-was a travelling salesman for them and I think he ended up in a fairly senior position. I think he retired in the 1930's
I don't know where in Birmingham their premises were or wether were just wholesalers or wether they also did manufacturing.
I am also assuming that Birmingham was where they had their main premises.
If anybody has any information about this company I would be very grateful.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

I used to use them to buy various items for hairdressing as I worked at Bernard of Mayfair in Corporation Street, everyone there used the company...they were in Edmund Street from my memories of shopping there and I still have a pair of scissors I bought there in 1962......still in use today as well.

In 1932 they were at 10,11 Temple St, and they remained there till around 1960, when they moved to Edmund St. Site in Temple St shown in red

map c1950 showing 10,11 Temple St.jpg

I have heard of Ogee - or seen its name at some time in that past. I can see how they arrived at that name.

Back