• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Orton

Suep283

Brummie babby
According to my Grandma's birth certificate (Phyllis Una Orton), she was born at 37 Ledsam St, Ladywood in April 1899. Both her parents are named (her father was said to be living at 138 Dudley Rd, I think it says, occupation a milk seller). I'm trying to find out more about her parents, Charles Edward Orton & Caroline Elizabeth Orton.
My grandma ended up in Leicester on the 1911 census as an 'inmate' in a 'school' probably in service, although my cousin says that my Grandma was an orphan, so I wonder, is this why she ended up there?
Would love the hear if anyone knows anything about the address? Or about the Orton's? :)

First impression is that Phyllis was the illegitimate daughter of Caroline Elizabeth Orton b1877 Leicester, the daughter of George Bellingham Orton and Mary Ann Lemon.

Charles Edward Orton is possibly a completely made up name or a combination of the father's forenames and mother's surname. Either is not unusual for illegitimate births.

Caroline then appears to marry a Harry Dexter in 1902.

wow, thank you mws.
I did wonder along the lines of illegitimacy or on a darker note- incest. Would the address and occupation for the father be falsified for the certificate too?
My cousin had told me that my grandma had been born in Cornwall and was an orphan, but there were no records for her down there, only this record of her birth in Birmingham. The stories that families tell. Grandma dies when I was young and my Mum and I never discussed family history, although I'm guessing that my Mum wasn't told everything either.

It's difficult to say. Most of it maybe true but little chance of proving it. My 2 x grandmother used her elder half brother's details on her first marriage.

Family stories do have a tendency to become garbled especially in the situation you describe.

I can't see what happens to Caroline after her marriage to Harry Dexter. There doesn't seem to be any children. There's a death registration in Manchester 1937 that could be her but it could be someone completely different.

Interestingly, it is possible that Harry Dexter marries another woman in 1907. This Harry is with his 'new' wife and children in 1921 but there's no sign of him in 1911, his wife and child are listed alone.

They are in Preston both times, so that would give a Lancashire connection.

Just found Harry in 1911, listed as Henry an Asylum Attendant at Whittingham Asylum.

And found another Henry Dexter that could have been Caroline's husband.

Last edited:
It's difficult to say. Most of it maybe true but little chance of proving it. My 2 x grandmother used her elder half brother's details on her first marriage.

Family stories do have a tendency to become garbled especially in the situation you describe.

I can't see what happens to Caroline after her marriage to Harry Dexter. There doesn't seem to be any children. There's a death registration in Manchester 1937 that could be her but it could be someone completely different.
Thank you. It's fascinating. Although not helpful for tracing family trees, much easier with todays accurate recordings. :)

Thank you. It's fascinating. Although not helpful for tracing family trees, much easier with todays accurate recordings. :)

It is and it certainly saves on the travelling.

I think that the Harry Dexter I first thought married Caroline is the wrong one.

I think it may be a Harry/Henry Dexter who was a baker born in Syston, Leics. I've found a possible reason why Caroline isn't on the 1911 census. An article in the Leicester Evening Mail 1911 but because of the nature of it I won't mention anymore.

Last edited:
Interestingly, it is possible that Harry Dexter marries another woman in 1907. This Harry is with his 'new' wife and children in 1921 but there's no sign of him in 1911, his wife and child are listed alone.

They are in Preston both times, so that would give a Lancashire connection.

Just found Harry in 1911, listed as Henry an Asylum Attendant at Whittingham Asylum.

And found another Henry Dexter that could have been Caroline's husband.
Ahh cool. I'm registered on Ancestry.co.uk, but not been able to find half of this information, where do you search?
I also wondered if 37 Ledsam St was some sort of maternity house- from what you've said, maybe for mothers with dubious offspring? Looking at old pictures of the streets and all the back to backs, it's very interesting. All classed as slums and bulldozed for modern housing. A friend of mine was at Uni in Leeds in the late 80's and she resided in a back to back for a while.
An asylum attendant- would have been a pretty grueling job back then.

It is and it certainly safes on the travelling.

I think that the Harry Dexter I first thought married Caroline is the wrong one.

I think it may be a Harry/Henry Dexter who was a baker born in Syston, Leics. I've found a possible reason why Caroline isn't on the 1911 census. An article in the Leicester Evening Mail 1911 but because of the nature of it I won't mention anymore.
Ahh, just done a search and think I've found the article. Interesting. Might explain a few things :)

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I also wondered if 37 Ledsam St was some sort of maternity house- from what you've said, maybe for mothers with dubious offspring?

In 1899 and 1900 Kelly's directory 37 Ledsam Street is listed as a grocer's shop.
However, from 1901 census it looks as if there are some back houses as I can see entries for 5 back of 37 to 9 back of 37.

The entry for Phyllis on the 1911 census is to a children's home. It was a system whereby small groups of children were placed in ordinary houses rather than in large orphanages.

Last edited:
Perhaps I have the wrong person.
Caroline Orton a licensee at the Milkmaid - two references in January 1913 in Leicestershire papers.

Back