• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'Orse Road

mwOnjm,after the war my mother gave the rag & bone man some old clothes and a tin bath.He gave her 2 chickens,1 with a bad leg so called her Peggy.had them a good few years till just before we moved from Vauxhall to Glebe Farm in1949
i am so glad they lived edifi. i had some but the fox got them.

No one seems to mention TIP CAT ,bit of wood pointed at each end and a bit of wood for a bat.Good Timesas with the match sticks in the gutter when it rained
Blimey, I'd forgotten Tip Cat. Wasted on me, never could get the hang of it ! While I think about it, I don't think there's been a mention of Jackstones.

Pete,were we lived in Inkerman St we had a back yard and a bit of garden.My father fenced it off with Wire Netting to keep them safe.There were 4 houses with a good supply of peelings ,cabbage and bits to keep the chickens happy.And in return the neighbours had a good supply of Eggs.We finished with 6 ,so a good lot of Eggs.My mom even sold a few to Pickfords a small shop across the road.

'orse road seems to have got lost this is title of this thread.
Birmingham sayings are here:

I still occasionally say ‘oss road’ - I don’t think I ever heard it as ‘orse road, leastways not in the Black Country.

Back