• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Orphanages in Birmingham in the 1920's??

B

becrobinson_1

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

I am trying to find out if I am able to trace orphanage records within the Birmingham area around the time of the 1920's. I'm trying to trace a birth certificate or birth date information for my late grandfather, John Robinson. I'm having little luck trying to trace any further information on him than what I have. I have a death certificate and a marriage certificate. As far as I know he was born Jan 15, 1921 to a John Robinson and Ada (last name unknown).

The family reports that they think he was an orphan from birth, and that he was enlisted in the British Army from the age of 15 (ie. approx 1936), At the moment I'm following the path of looking at orphanages he may have been in but am having trouble finding names of orphanages/homes in operation at this time. I have contacted Father Hudson's Society with no luck from them. I'm hoping someone will be able to help :)

I had a little go at trying to find which orphanage my father was in 1929ish. The library gave me this address :
The Director (Archives)
NCH Action for Children
Midland Region
Princess Alice Drive
Chester Road North
Sutton Coldfield
B73 6RD
It's just one of many possibles.
There's a possible birth on 'FreeBMD' in Birmingham.

Anothershot,
Thank you kindly for this address. I will certainly write to them.
When you say there is a possible birth on 'FreeBMD'in Birmingham, can you give me any further details?? Would love if someone else's searching found something I've missed. I've had a thorough search on FreeBMD and various other searching sites with no real luck.
Most recently I sent away for the birth certificate for John A Robinson, born in Aston to a mother 'Newey', comes up as a Jan-Feb-Mar birth. When I got the certificate he was born on Dec 20 1920 and the birth was registered Jan 15...

I've had a look on FreeBMD but all dead ends . Good luck with your research, please post if you have any luck tracking down which orphanage, etc.

Back