• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Orphanage/home run by nuns in Birmingham

D

debrapeter1960

Hi
I'm sorry that I don't have much to go on .. but .. I am looking for my husbands grandmother Martha Jones born 22/7/1895 father's name Edward Jones a bricklayer (info from marr. cert). She said that her father died when she was young and her mother remmarried and put her into a home as her new husband did not want Martha. The home was run by nuns. I cannot find a birth certificate in the relevant quarter on the GRO and have asked for many searches using Edward as a reference check as fathers name. She was probably fostered in her late teens by my husbands great grandparents and ended up marrying one of their sons. Does anyone have any idea how I could find out where she was? I wish the surname was not Jones, am I looking for a needle in a haystack?!
All suggestions gratefully received.
Debra

Hi Debra,

It could be Father Hudson's, that was set up in around that time, and was in Coleshill, which is on the outskirts of NE Bham.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,
I think they only looked after boys until about 1912 which is probably a bit too late for Martha.
Regards
Debra

amanda this is all i found so far annieIGI Individual RecordFamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0 British IslesSearch Results | Download | Print
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Martha JonesPedigree Female
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Event(s):
spacer.gif
Birth:
spacer.gif
Christening: 04 JUN 1894 St Peter'S, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
spacer.gif
Death:
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Parents: Father: Edward Jones Family Mother: Mary
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Source Information:
spacer.gif
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
spacer.gif
I021870 Film
spacer.gif
Sheet:
div{ margin:0;}#footerBar{ background-color:#465a82; color:#ffffff; height:2em; margin:0; padding:.6em;}#footerBar p,#footerBar ul li,#footerBar ul li a{ font-size:11px!important;}#footerBar p,#footerBar ul{ clear:left; margin:0; padding:0;}#footerBar p{ line-height:1.2em;}#footerBar ul{ list-style-type:none;}#footerBar ul li{ float:left; line-height:1.2em; margin:0; padding:0;}
An official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2008 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. Conditions of Use Privacy Policy 28 https://www.familysearch.org v.2.5.0

Thanks for that, it might be worth ordering a certificate to see if he was down as a bricklayer or perhaps I can find them on the 1901 census. Off to ancestry.co.uk again!

hello Debra,
re your equiry for martha jones.If she went to father hudsons homes,she would have been in the girls section which was named "St Joans"/or St Annes. The homes were in A town named Coleshill which is in warwickshire not far from birmingham.All records are held by the Father Hudsons Society.They have their own website and I believe you should contact a kevin Caffray hope this helps
morris116

Don't forget Nazareth house which was run by nuns, there were a couple of threads on this forum recently

nazareth house
yes,your correct,I'd forgotten about Nazerath house..The first homes for children were at marston green,st annes at the bottom of coleshill before the river coles was next,and the "st edwards homes" was finally consructed. The latter I was in for nine years. I think there were homes for catholic chidren in erdington at sometime.also a Nazerath house in london in the hammersmith or shepheards bush area.I'm a bit vague on that one.
cheers morris116

My sister & I were residence of Nazarath House 1960 to 1966 if anyone has photos or any information I would love to hear it. Our house sister was Sister James.

Hi kaverywilson
If you type Nazareth house in the search box at the top,
there is a thread on it. There were some photos, but some were hacked some time
ago. I will have a sort out and see if I can replace them. Also you may want to look
at a site called Rubery past and present, there is some info on there. Good luck
with your search I hope this helps.

regards stars

My sister & I were residence of Nazarath House 1960 to 1966 if anyone has photos or any information I would love to hear it. Our house sister was Sister James.

Hello Kavery,
have you tried contacting the mother house convent for the sister's of Nazareth,(Birmingham) I'm sure they will hold your records some where, you are by law entitled to your records on request.

good luck
morris116

Back