• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Orchard Road & Orchard Terrace

Linda

master brummie
Hello , has anyone tried to find Orchard Road or Orchard Terrace Sparkbrook on the 1921 census.
The only one it will come up with for me (bearing in mind technology and myself do not always see eye to eye!) is Orchard Road Erdington.

There's an Orchard Road & Orchard Terrace in the Kings Norton district / Smethwick parish.

It seems to match Birmingham ERs.

Thanks for the reply but Sparkbrook, wouldn't come under this would it.?

The 1921 census does not seem to recognise Sparkbrook, although the map that comes with other places I have researched on the census is clearly marked Sparkbrook.
I don't understand !!!

I think the only Orchard Road comes under Erdington. There is certainly one in Erdington Division on the 1921 Eroll.
I did a 1921 search for Orchard Road Erdington and it came up with
1641664068006.png
I did not find an Orchard Terrace but then the eroll did not list it either.
Who were you looking for? As I cannot find an Orchard Road in Sparkbrook.

It can be surprising what in what districts places are classed.

I don't know these road and all I can say is that some of the people that were on roads I searched matched people on the Birmingham electoral rolls.

Balsall Heath traditionally came within the Kings Norton district, though I think it may be the Smethwick parish that's new.

In 1914 there is a mention of Orchard Terrace, Orchard Road in connection with a theft of coal. The accused had proceeded to Esme Road, Sparkhill. It does not give a clue to the actual whereabouts.

Comparing the eroll
1641665049345.png
with 1921 results it is entered under Smethwick - no idea why but seems to be another error.
1641665108160.png
hovering over the end icon gives the names Patrick and Elizabeth
1641665170554.png

It is close to what is now Belgrave Middleway. Orchard Road no longer exists but Sherbourne Road (visible on this c1916 map still exists).
1641665685122.png

It can be surprising what in what districts places are classed.

I don't know these road and all I can say is that some of the people that were on roads I searched matched people on the Birmingham electoral rolls.

Balsall Heath traditionally came within the Kings Norton district, though I think it may be the Smethwick parish that's new.
I suspect that "Smethwick" should be Sparkbrook but I am not sure. The eroll has it as Sparkbrrok Division and Balsall Heath Ward

I suspect that "Smethwick" should be Sparkbrook but I am not sure. The eroll has it as Sparkbrrok Division and Balsall Heath Ward

Following your suggestion I looked at my 2 x great uncle again who was listed under Smethwick which I found surprising and thought he may have moved.

However, he's still at the same address in Stechford, which is even further away from Smethwick than Balsall Heath is!

Hello thanks everyone for your help, maps particularly useful.
It is my Great Grandfather John Richardson I am looking for , he and Great Grandmother separated.
In the 1911 census I have him boarding with a widow and her son at this address 9Stonehouse Place Ormond Street Carter (Builders) he describes himself as a widower !
1920 electoral registers at 2 back 143 Moseley Street St Martins and Deritend polling district, with same widow and a Price family of three.
Electoral registers from 1922 to 1935 he is 1 back 1 Orchard Terrace Orchard Road Sparkbrook, Balsall Heath Ward, with same widow. Sometimes it says 1 back 1 Orchard Terrace and then sometimes includes Orchard Road. I don't know why I can't find it on the census !!!!
As You cannot actually see who is at the address , before purchasing it makes it more difficult.

Thanks again for your help
Linda

There is a John Richardson listed on Orchard Street (Kings Norton/Smethwick) in 1921, a boarder of Richard Downes (also Harriet and Emma).

However, he is listed as single and born 1857 in London. Seems too much of a coincidence to be 2, which would mean that his details are wrong or it is not your John Richardson on the electoral rolls.

Hello thanks everyone for your help, maps particularly useful.
It is my Great Grandfather John Richardson I am looking for , he and Great Grandmother separated.
I don't know why I can't find it on the census !!!!
As You cannot actually see who is at the address , before purchasing it makes it more difficult.

Thanks again for your help
Linda
It is on the 1921 census but listed as Smethwick.
John Thomas Richardson is on the eroll at 1 back of 1 Orchard Road - nothing to do with Orchard Terrace as far as I can see.

Either deliberately or by mistake I would say that the personal details listed on the 1921 census are wrong and it is the correct John Richardson with Harriett Durant listed as Harriet Downes.

The actual scan may reveal different details but as it's not my money that's easy for me to say. A few wrong purchases and it can soon mount up.

Back