• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Orange juice from the welfare in the 1950s

It was in my mind today as I am writing a memoir. In 1954 I was in a childrens' 'home' and they used to dose us each morning with a tablespoon of a mixture of the 'orange juice' mixed with cod liver oil. A revolting taste that I have never forgotten. Be well.

It was in my mind today as I am writing a memoir. In 1954 I was in a childrens' 'home' and they used to dose us each morning with a tablespoon of a mixture of the 'orange juice' mixed with cod liver oil. A revolting taste that I have never forgotten. Be well.
Slightly off topic Mike I noticed you were writing your memoir.
My daughter has started her’s . She is a wonderful daughter, but not biological, she also has memories of her short time in a children home
Take be safe regards Diane.

Hi All.
I got talking to a neighbour about the unique taste of the orange juice we used to get from the welfare in the 1950s, what was in it, was it concentrated, as everyone I know used to drink it as it came? or was it just full of sugar. I have never found anyother juice to taste like it.
Pete
I don't know what was in it, but best orange juice I ever tasted.

I remember National Dried Milk, obtained from baby clinics in the 1950s and Ostermilk and Cow and gate, perhaps a bit later.

Our clinic was on the Coventry Road near to Small Heath park. I loved the orange juice, couldn't stand the rose hip syrup. I always thought it was made of the red berries in the park and they put it it bottles. Do you remember those glass dummies that had the syrup in and toddlers would walk around with them dangling from their mouths. Practice for when they grew up with the ciggies hanging on their lips ! ha ha ! I loved the jar of brown sticky Virol. I used to sneak into the pantry and stick my finger in the jar. yum.

I well remember my Mum having the orange juice when she was expecting my sister. When my sister was born Mum tried her on powdered milks such as Ostamilk, thinking it was the best but the only one she was able to tolerate was The National Dried Milk which she was quite happy on.

Our clinic was on the Coventry Road near to Small Heath park. I loved the orange juice, couldn't stand the rose hip syrup. I always thought it was made of the red berries in the park and they put it it bottles. Do you remember those glass dummies that had the syrup in and toddlers would walk around with them dangling from their mouths. Practice for when they grew up with the ciggies hanging on their lips ! ha ha ! I loved the jar of brown sticky Virol. I used to sneak into the pantry and stick my finger in the jar. yum.
I think that was the clinic where my sister used to take my nephew. I went with them a couple of times, and seem to remember a rocking horse.

Back