• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Online Search For Birmingham Cremations Or Burials

My Nan & Grandfather WOOLLEY were laid to rest in ASTON PARISH CHURCH YARD (St Peter & St Pauls) Alas the grave no longer as it head stone & seems to be grassed over. Can any one tell me how or if? it is possible to find its actual siteing?

Hi, Im new to the Forum I wonder if you could help me. I had a sister born in 1962 at Marston Green Maternity Hospital, unfortunately she was stillborn. I was 14 at the time and it was never talked about at home, where would I find where the records would have gone after Marston Green was closed. I hope you can please help.

Hi, a lot of the paper was thrown away, and not in a very proper way either, it was found scattered on the site when the builders were there.
You could try contacting Heartlands Maternity where most people transfered to. Sorry if it isnt much help. Also not sure how much info would be given out.
Wendy.xxx

Hi, Im new to the Forum I wonder if you could help me. I had a sister born in 1962 at Marston Green Maternity Hospital, unfortunately she was stillborn. I was 14 at the time and it was never talked about at home, where would I find where the records would have gone after Marston Green was closed. I hope you can please help.
The location of hospital records can be found at nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords. The Access to Medical Records Act will give you details of access rights.
Good luck with your search.

:(This is one of the sites I found and tried to get info from but it keeps saying 0 results for my search, even though I have the original grave deeds and burial documents for two people buried there from the family. I was hoping to find others I didn't have documents for, but so far no joy for any, even the ones I'm absolutely certain are there.

I have been looking for my rellies at Yardley cemetary and found they were in Public graves,"I said ,paupers grave?" and the lady was very upset that I called it that as she said ,that was what everyone expected at the time ( iwas looking at 1900),she said it's the same as cremation is today.
They hold the records of each grave,which held about 10 people ,when the plot was full they grassed it over.My Great grandfather is grave 6355 and is in the Woodland Rose garden area,which is on the right against the fence from the Yardley Road side.
AS the map has the grass in front of the cemetary alongside Yardley road Does that mean that they were Public graves ,I seemed to remember gravestones there when I was a child,does anyone else remember these stones?does anyone know when the public graves stopped and people had to buy a grave,other than DSS burials?

I can understand the lady at Yardley being upset at the term 'paupers grave' as there are non in Birmingham cemeteries only public ones. If you put types of graves into the search engine above there is a list which explains the difference. I was amazed the other day when a well known local family historian in Radio WM's Ed Doolan show referred to a public grave as a paupers grave. It's a common misconception. I am sorry I don't know when public burials stopped.

You all seem a pretty switched on bunch, maybe you can offer me some advice?!
I am looking for my paternal grandfather whom my dad never met,( he was adopted at 8 by his mums 3rd husband).
By deduction we think we have found him and located him as living at 27 Knights rd Bham 11 in 1981 when he died at 59. After obtaining the death cert for this man we have an address of a woman who cremated him, she was in Heathcliff rd at the time. She seems to have died last year ( tomorrow a year ago in fact) and herself was cremated at Yardley Crematorium. So we were wondering is this the nearest crematorium to Bham 11 and if so maybe the mysterious Sydney was cremated there also.
I need cremation records. I live in Ireland so online would be easier! I am in the process of tracing her children whose names I have but feel as tomorrow is the years anniversary I should wait a while!!! Also, from her 4 kids and area and her maiden name they all have her maiden name no fathers name, which is unusual for 1946 onwards....
Anyone have any ideas?

Can anyone help me please? I am trying to find out if there was a crematorium at Hodge Hill Brum in the early 1960's. My dad was cremated in 1962 and I can't remember where.

Hello maggs, do you mean Lodge Hill? My Grandparents were cremated there in the 60's. The online burial index for local cerematoria wasn't working last time I tried.

Hello maggs, do you mean Lodge Hill? My Grandparents were cremated there in the 60's. The online burial index for local cerematoria wasn't working last time I tried.

I have often wondered if it was Lodge Hill Rosie, but I just can't remember. My dad was young when he died and I was devastated and I think this is why I have probably forgotten.

I'm sorry to hear that, it's my Dad's "anniversary" on Monday, he was cremated at Lodge Hill too. Maybe you could email them with the date, and they may be able to find your Dad. When Mum died they found the plot where he was scattered, so she could be scattered there too.
rosie.

I'm sorry to hear that, it's my Dad's "anniversary" on Monday, he was cremated at Lodge Hill too. Maybe you could email them with the date, and they may be able to find your Dad. When Mum died they found the plot where he was scattered, so she could be scattered there too.
rosie.

Thank you Rosie, I will have to email them and see if they can help. It's lovely that they were able to find your dad's plot so that your mother could be with him.

Jayne,I have just replied to your blog about your grandfathers cremation.
Social services may have dealt with his cremation.
I have advised you to contact Social services and prove you are his next of kin.
Having read your post here can i offer more advice,Do not mention your Dad being adopted by his stepfather.

My paternal grandmother died in childbirth and my Dad was adopted by his mothers brother.(This was a private agreement before legal adoption it was 1924 and it became legal in 1927)
When my paternal grandfather died he had previously been taken into care by Social Services at the police force request.
When I started my family tree I contacted them and they told me that in law he ceased to become my grandfather when my Dad was adopted,foolishly I had mentioned the adoption.
The same blood flowed through his veins as mine and they said were were no longer related and I had no right to the info.
It has been a few years now and I am going to get my sister to have a try(leaving out the adoption bit),we have our Dads birth certificate and his parents marriage certificate
so it is worth a try.

Last edited:
Sibadd, My grandfather's 1st wife was Beartrice Neale (nee Banks) burried at St Mary's in Sept 1906 and I would love to be able to visit her grave some day or have a photograph of it. Are you able to help?

Warwick

I have been looking for my rellies at Yardley cemetary and found they were in Public graves,"I said ,paupers grave?" and the lady was very upset that I called it that as she said ,that was what everyone expected at the time ( iwas looking at 1900),she said it's the same as cremation is today.
They hold the records of each grave,which held about 10 people ,when the plot was full they grassed it over.My Great grandfather is grave 6355 and is in the Woodland Rose garden area,which is on the right against the fence from the Yardley Road side.
AS the map has the grass in front of the cemetary alongside Yardley road Does that mean that they were Public graves ,I seemed to remember gravestones there when I was a child,does anyone else remember these stones?does anyone know when the public graves stopped and people had to buy a grave,other than DSS burials?
I was told that the graves nearest the railing caved in and were grassed over some time in the twentieth century I believe. My uncle told me that he drove past in the 1960's and the family stone was visible then.

Back