• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Online Search For Birmingham Cremations Or Burials

Thank you for posting that link John.   The site is down at the mo', but I will certainly keep looking.

Barrie.

There does seem to be a problem with the script on the site....... I discovered if you dont put a date in you can use it. It's by no means complete yet, I found my brothers but not my mum and dad...... but I guess as a little time goes by it will become yet another good online source?

I found my mother and one brother at Yardley Crem but my other brother and dad were at Perry Bar which isn't listed.E.

I've put about 10 Family members who are interned in Witton Cemetery 1904 to 1980 no luck Rod offer to sort their site out quick.
Wouldn't mind but they are exact dates and burial papers :-\

Alf the site is under development and I suppose they still have much to do in the way of transcribing. I have had mixed results.

Perry Barr belongs to a private company,I tried their website but there is no information.

ref Perry Barr write to them with all the datails you have, do you have any dates or approximates I don't know if they charge but when I enquired for my Aunt Lily they gave me the date and plot where thr ashes were scattered, they also have memorial sections with plaques and urns

I don't really need to write John, I have all the details re my brother and father, I was just curious as to how much was available from the link. Might need it in the future. E.

On the site they ask for comments,I e-mailed them for information on what they were going to do in the future.I received the following reply

I am sorry to disappoint you. There are no plans at this time to input historical data onto the computerised genealogy search.

This type of task would involve a huge amount of data and would not be manageable. We have 3 crematoria and 11 cemeteries. I do not know the exact numbers involved but to give you an idea here at Handsworth we have almost 70,000 burials since 1909 - some of our cemeteries date back to 1836 !

The facility available at the moment is via a link to the computerised system we use on a day to day basis to take funeral bookings and administer them. The only time historical information is input is when a family grave is reopened for a further interment at which time details of the previous burials will be added to the system.

We do have burial and cremation information held at each site and we can help with specific enquiries. Where very little information is known people tracing the family tree and similar research can access microfilm/microfiche copies of the burial index's at Birmingham Central Library.

Yours sincerely
(name removed)
Bereavement Officer
Handsworth Cemetery

Its only useful for searching from 2002 otherwise you need to contact individual cemetaries or Central Library records

Just had same reply to Colin B except they specify 2002 as the cut off date. Before then it is a case of contacting Cemtaries or the burial records at Central library. I found this useful for finding 19th C relatives in Key Hii Cem.
Where can one find a site plan for Warstone Lane Cem. I have found relatives there but short of examining every gravestone dont know where they are?

:angel: Actually Daremic, if you play around a little with the Information you put in (Full Name only, First Name only, Surname only, Add a date, remove the date, Extend the date, Male, Female, Gender unknown, or whatever). You will be surprised, I have found 6 of my relies and friends dating from the 1950's through to 2004..‚.. :smitten:

Last edited:
I can't find cremations at either the crem on Newton Road (Handsworth?), or the one on Old Walsall Road (Perry Barr?). Surely they must come under Birmingham?

They must intend expanding the database quite a bit, otherwise why would they have Key Hill included, which hasn't seen a burial for yonks?

Any one know what you do about burial at St Peter & St Paul's ASTON. my GRAN & GRANDFATHER were interred .Its now grassed over???
Do you have to contact the Church for records of were & when???
ASTON

Newton Rd. is in West Bromwich and as I said above Perry Barr belongs to a private company
Mike

Believe Perry Barr Crem is owned by company called Dygnity (or Dignity) with office in Gracechurch Cente Sutton Coldfield

I don't know if this is an appropriate posting here or whether it will be of interest but I am one of the founding members of a new group called the Friends of St.Mary's Churchyard, Handsworth. It is a closed graveyard containing an enrmous reservoir of historical information surrounding the St.Mary's Church - colloquially referred to as the "cathedral of the Industrial Revolution" - where lie the remains of Matthew Boulton, James Watt and Robert Murdoch (sometime Murdock). There's an illustrated Wikipedia entry with a map giving source information on over 2000 memorials in the graveyard and inside the church - extended in the 19th C to include some graves previously outside. A genealogical record has already been prepared by a team from the Handsworth Historical Society (during the 1980s) with inscriptions from the 18th Century to the 1920s. This record is not guaranteed as comprehensive especially as there are a number of unmarked paupers' graves in the churchyard but we hope that by starting to digitise the text based record we can make it more accessible. I have personally guided a few people to their ancestor's graves, though the main means of finding these, at present, is via the Chair of the Friends, the Reverend Brian Hall (contact details in the Wikipedia entry):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mary's_Church,_Handsworth

Sibadd

My great great grandparents married at St Mary's Church Handsworth in 1835 so this site will be of interest to me.

When I have more time I will mooch about this web site.

Many thanks letting us know about itl

Fay

Many thanks for this - for some time I've been seeking out information about St Mary's Church, Handsworth, where my great-great-grandparents married in 1844. This article is excellent. (There are also a lot of really good old paintings of the church online.)

If anyone plans a trip in to look at those six volumes of monumental records referred to in the article, and is generous enough to offer a look-up, I'd appreciate it.

Dale in New Zealand

For many years i have tried to find the maiden name of hubbys grandmother without much luck but armed with the bdm records i trawled through the records. Luckily his father was born 1913 so mothers maiden names were included. I came up with three possibles and then searched marriage records with no idea of a date untill i found one match for a Emma Louise Tolladay. I put this on the back burner for a while as a possible.

Yesterday i decided to delve further and searched for a birth for this lady. What has that got to do with a cemetery i hear you ask.

Armed with the date of birth for this lady and knowing that hubbys dad was buried in the same grave as his parents i attended Yardley cemetery in the hope of finding the location of the grave. I gave them the date of his dads death and they could not have been more helpful. After a short wait the lady produced a printed off map with the location of the grave. It's unmarked she informed me. My heart sank slightly. The lady then went on to say that she had taken the trouble to list the three names of the people buried there. Bingo there she was Emma Louise died 1933 age 56 years which also matched the birth date of 1877.

Full marks to Yardley cemetery.

fantastic..... glad you found her. Yardley were also very helpful to me a week or two ago. O0

I visited Brandwood End Cemetery,and found the staff there to be very helpfull.
I had spent some two hours searching ,without success in what I thought was the right area on the Sunday.
When I revisited on the Monday,the lady in the office was able to direct me straight to all three graves I was interested in,one which was un-marked so I would never have found that one.
First class service.

Colin

Got similar help at Witton Cemetery three or four years ago, especially with two unmarked graves. Well done Brum Cemeteries.

I have some cemetery plans here is one for Witton Cemetery. I also have Key Hill and Warstone Lane. The reason Handsworth has information about Key Hill and Warstone Lane is because they hold the registers as these two cemeteries are no longer open for burial.
removed by admin due to being used on another thread John H

Can any one tell me how to find a list of grave names at Warstone Lane Cemetery? please.
looking for WHISTON family.

175 years of St Johns Perry Barr........OPEN DAY

As I have had contact with Rita (archivist) at St Johns, she sent me this email today which, as it is an open invite, I am posting it in the hope that it may help someone. I will be on holiday and cannot catch up on my search.
Regards Derek

"You have all been in contact with me about our archives at St. John's Perry Barr at some point over the last few years. Therefore, you may be interested in the fact that we are celebrating 175 years since the concecration.
The church will be open with a large display of St. John's archives on Saturday 14th June and Sunday 15th June.
We hope to have the church open on Saturday by 10.30am and at 3pm we are hoping to have activities including a visit from the Bishop and scones and tea available over at the Church centre. On Sunday there will be a special service with the Archdeacon.
If you or any of your families are available do call in to see details of the development of St. John's from it's beginnings. We have an extensive archive. You will all be given a great welcome."

Back