• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Onion Fair

born in aston in 1949 so the onion fair was the highlight of the year.Remember winning a goldfish most years that lived about a week ! great days I also remerber the circus at perry barr park and being taken to see the parade though the streets when it arrived

The picture of the Sputnik ride in post #130 brought back memories. I would have been perhaps 11 when a group of us went to the onion fair, we all went on the Sputnik but one of the girls slipped out of the safety harness and for the rest of the ride was in the cone of the Sputnik, luckily she sustained no injuries. Safety was low priority in those days, it would be shut-down for a week if it happened now. John

I REMEMBER RANDY TURPIN FIGHTING IN A BOXING BOOTH AT ASTON ONION FAIR THINK THEY USED TO USE IT FOR TRAINING. I THOUGHT ONE TIME I SAW FREDDIE MILLS THERE BUT I MIGHT HAVE BEEB MISTAKEN. THE BOXING BOOTHS AT THAT TIME USED TO OFFER CONTESTANTS IN CROWD THE CHANCETO FIGHT THE BOXERS,AND IF THEY LASTED 3 ROUNDS THEY USED TO GIVE THEM £10. THEY WOULD PLAY WITH YOU IN TWO ROUNDS THEN MAKE SURE YOU DID NOT LAST 3RD ROUND. IVE SEEN MANY A DRUNKEN MAN TRY FIGHTING AFTER BEEN EGGED ON BY THERE MATES. BY FOR NOW REG

I know that this post was a very long time ago, but as a newbie to this site, it triggered a memory. My Grandad, was Jack Hill. Jack was a boxer in the booths at the Onion Fair. Would anyone remember him?

HI Gerry yes its great to bring such memories back yes over thhe years on this forum and our olld forum people have put there memories and pictures of the good old onion fair and yes i was a regular kid on the gaff and associated with quite afew of the lads on the gaff and with the girls whom sstarred in one or two of the side shows after they finished the night
I knew bob and queenie of the gaff it was oldd bob and queenie in those days until they eventualy died i knew there son young bob whom had taken over there was a guy called ron, named as cowboy he rode the walzers but getting back to your story about bob hill the boxer i recall him as his owner of the booth would have him standing there whilst they would have the crowds around and pointing to him undefeated champ and dare people to step in the booth and take him on but as you said noboby of the public came out and claimed the prize money he beat them all
Iremember the crowds gathering around and yes there was quite afew fancied there chance agaist him he was not short of contenders but not one got the prize money
there is an old lady from those days off the gaff whom lives down our way she she is disabled and her show i think it was do with an elephant she sat on the pitch bang on her drum begining people to come in we often speak when we meet at the town centre good old days i say roll up . roll up, lets have more memories did you win that chalk cat , or did you win a coconut ? gerry i think i have got a picture of jack in an old bookwill try and find it when the dutchess as gone shopping

HI Gerry yes its great to bring such memories back yes over thhe years on this forum and our olld forum people have put there memories and pictures of the good old onion fair and yes i was a regular kid on the gaff and associated with quite afew of the lads on the gaff and with the girls whom sstarred in one or two of the side shows after they finished the night
I knew bob and queenie of the gaff it was oldd bob and queenie in those days until they eventualy died i knew there son young bob whom had taken over there was a guy called ron, named as cowboy he rode the walzers but getting back to your story about bob hill the boxer i recall him as his owner of the booth would have him standing there whilst they would have the crowds around and pointing to him undefeated champ and dare people to step in the booth and take him on but as you said noboby of the public came out and claimed the prize money he beat them all
Iremember the crowds gathering around and yes there was quite afew fancied there chance agaist him he was not short of contenders but not one got the prize money
there is an old lady from those days off the gaff whom lives down our way she she is disabled and her show i think it was do with an elephant she sat on the pitch bang on her drum begining people to come in we often speak when we meet at the town centre good old days i say roll up . roll up, lets have more memories did you win that chalk cat , or did you win a coconut ? gerry i think i have got a picture of jack in an old bookwill try and find it when the dutchess as gone shopping
*Thank you. I look forward to seeing it. Years ago, I wrote a verse about the onion Fair, and if I knew how to upload it (it's an mps) then I would post it here. Once again, thank you. Gerry

*Thank you. I look forward to seeing it. Years ago, I wrote a verse about the onion Fair, and if I knew how to upload it (it's an mps) then I would post it here. Once again, thank you. Gerry

Astonian, did you ever find that picture of Jack Hill, my grandad, who boxed in the booths?

It's noticeable that the onions are small onions. Where would we be without onions ? I believe they're one of the essentials in any kitchen. Looks like Brummies of the late 1800s thought so too. Viv.

And one of the vegetables that will grow in quite poor soil and don't need a terrific amount of water, Viv.

Maurice :cool:

:)there was an artical in the Sunday Mercury this week about the smallest woman on the onion fair
her name was Anita. i remember her very well. my father inlaw had a photograph taken with him sitting on Anita's lap . i also remember the bearded lady who was there.i used to like going on the ghost train
the catterpiller . had some great at the fair.
My great Nan was Mary shepherd she owned the cakewalk and the wall of death which travelled with pat Collins , my grandad was born in Aston pits on the fair , his cousin was artie shepherd who owned stout port fair I’m desperately trying to get info on them x

My recollection of the Onion Fair is a bit embarasing.
I'd just returned from National Service, went with my wife and leaving the fair she was walking just behind me I reached back and took her hand , we walked on for several paces then I turned to speak to her and it wasn't her but another lady, contentedly holding on, my wife still a couple of paces back grinning. :oops:

My recollection of the Onion Fair is a bit embarasing.
I'd just returned from National Service, went with my wife and leaving the fair she was walking just behind me I reached back and took her hand , we walked on for several paces then I turned to speak to her and it wasn't her but another lady, contentedly holding on, my wife still a couple of paces back grinning. :oops:
Way to go Eric :cool:

Hi all i am born and bred in Clifton Road Aston and i was that excited when the Onion Fair came to Aston watching the caravans coming up Park Road and i remember the Wall of Death and the smell of the fuel in the motorbikes best of all was watching your candyfloss being prepared going round in the machine it was great and we would come home filthy Good Days Raz x

Hi Raz and welcome. Living in Holte road I used to hang out of the back bedroom window and watch and smell the fair from there after ten o'clock.

Fantastic photo Rob. Do you remember the Barrel Organ?. I have a replica my dad bought and it actually plays music. Will take a photo and post it tomorrow sometime.

The barrel organs I had in mind were small and pushed along like a handcart. But there were many ogans in many places. This web site is interesting.

This is my replica Barrell organ that actually plays music.

Attachments

• DSCN4746 (4).JPG
    DSCN4746 (4).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Back