• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Onion Fair

I have the music to the old organ and as I have said before a perfect miniature that plays it. Jean.

where have all them years gone jean.
did,nt we have some fantastic times at the onion fair.
i can see the hot dog stalls
and smell the candy floss. happy days regards dereklcg.

Dereck you've started the old taste buds off. My neighbour May used to do the pig roasts and once it was venison hence we had the biggest rolls going. Good days wern't they. Jean.:piggy::piggy:

Has anyone a photograph of the rifle range owned by the Humphries family?. A few posts back I put a photo on of Mrs Humphries who was the first owner with her husband. They handed it down to their two daughters Clara and Ruth who kept it going till they were elderly with the help of their fairground friends. They retired to Nuneaton but have both now passed away. Even owning houses they spent most of their final years in their wagon as they called it and only moved into one of the houses when they could no longer cope in the wagon. This is a photograph [not a very good one] of their wagon which went all over the country from fairground to fairgraound with them. That is there little dog that unfortunatly was run over just after this photo was taken. Jean.

HERES A PHOTO JEAN, CANT REMEMBER WHERE ITS FROM PROBABLY OFF THIS SITE SOMEWHERE, I Have about 3600 photos now so its difficult to remember where they come from or if they have been posted before

Astonite I can't believe it. That's Ruth on the left and Clara on the right. They were my Aunt Flosses and moms dear friends. We visited them at Nuneaton until they passed away. I have letters from them to my mom but only the photo of their mom if you would like to scroll back. It was wonderful as a child knowing these fair people as I have said before I would go on most of the rides for free. Brought a few tears to my eyes but thank you oh so much. Pete can't believe it as he used to take mom over in the car to visit them. Many thanks again. Jean.

One more for some kind soul out there. Has anyone a photo of the little wheel that used to be at the farr end of the Serpentine ground by Aston Hall Road. I used to have free rides and stay on all afternoon sometimes. A blond lad by the name of Alen used to run it. Thanks. Jean.

Hi ya Jean,i would say not, because the lorry is not modern modern but i would say 80s maybe, and the onion fair was long gone by then,i think?
maybe there is someone who knows better? if i,m wrong i,ll hold my hand up.
best wishes Derek

Hi All,

Just found this site with the Onion Fayre on it. This is very interesting. I used to live in Aston 1942 - 1953 and my Grandfather from Wales and his friend used to visit us every year when this Fayre was on as they used to join a trip from Wales. We always used to have such excitement when Grandad visited. He used to have his friend with him. We always used to have such fun to see him. Not many cars in those days you see. Anyway thanks to you all. Ann

Where in Aston did you live Ann?. I lived in Holte road from when I was born in 46 till I was nineteen. Jean.

Hi. I used live in Trinity Road. I have been looking for anything local to that. There used to be a cobblers shop on the corner and around that corner was Witton Road.
I used to go to a sweet shop around thatcorner which we used to call Lizzie Newbold. She had an awful disability with her hip but she was a lovely person.
I remember Princess Margaret in an open topped car coming down Witton road, and was there when they ripped the tram lines up. We had some of
these for our fire.
Unfortunately I cannot remember a very lot more as I was only 10 when we left Trinity Road on the death of my Grandfather in Wales. We went to Wales so that my mother could care for my Grandmother.
I think this is such a wonderful site. Regards, Ann

Ann my husband said "did he sell you the wood for the fire as he got lots of it up". I lived in Holte road and couldn't wate for the fair to come. I loved all things about it and the only thing that spoilt it once was when a fight broke out between the travelling folk and the local lads or men. Ann I am sure there is a thread on Witton road if you have a look on search. Bye. Jean.

Hi. Thank you Jean. I never got to the fayre. I shall have a look for the Trinity Road link. Many thanks anyway. Ann

Ann have just looked at the witton road and witton and aston barbers shops which are both very informative. Jean.

Oh the Onion Fair! I lived at the sweet and tobacco shop opposite and Church and the Fair from 1945 until 1960s. My mum and Dad were Beat and Sid Smith. Such memories - used to go up Park Road to the Wedekinds shop at the top on the right. Used to play on the bombsite at the back behind the post office and always went to the garden parties at the Vicarage. Such wonderful memories of Sunday School etc.

Hi Wallsalie there is a good thread on Aston parish church that I am sure you will enjoy also and the garden parties are mentioned on there. What was the name of your shop only I lived in Holte road and attended Manor Park Girls School. Fantastic memories of the fair. Jean..

Back