• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

One I'd Done

Jules65

master brummie
My mother-in-law had us all in stitches the other evening talking about a pub she used to frequent I think in Hingeston Street called the One I'd Done. We all doubted that such a pub ever existed. After much laughter and taking the mickey we phoned my father-in-law to ask him if indeed this was true. He informed us that yes there was such a pub and that it was just a nick name for a small pub he couldn't remember the name of but thought it may have been the Royal Oak. It had just one room. Has anyone else ever heard of this pub? I may be spelling the nick name wrong and it could have been the oneeyedone or similar.

hi jennyann
thats the pub you say it is and its the top end of hingeston street its devided on the corner of pitford street and hingeston street
the oak was at the bottom of pitsford street at the corner junction of ickneild street and pitford street that was an ansells pub if m memory serves
me correctl ; and it was a cream coloued tiles around he pub walls i was not a very popular pub im afraid only at lunch times
evening time was very slack if any trade ; and it wasusedby the hockley rail way station and the mint workers at lunch time
as you walked up pittford street from there from the oak pub which was directly as you walked under the rail way bridge of hockley station
which is walking to hockley brook and the flat of key hill ;
you would have walked up pittsford street just before you went under the bridge and passing the school there was houses and a couple of houses
then there was pickfords heavvy revovals with there cranes and lorrys and there offices ; one side was the vans next to the office and across the rd
faceing the office was a big yard for the rail ways lorrys and pickfods used to keep there heavvy plant of cranes and load loaders in there as well
as i have said as you approch the top[ of pickford street inwas joined by hingestion street it was not really a busy pub the brook hill
it was mainly reidentd of clissold stret and all saints and some of weston rd residences whom was drinking in there
that area wa surrounded by pubs virtualy on every coner and all within walking distances which ever way you walked ; less than half a mile apart i would say even two hundred yards ; and beleive me they was great familys around there all looked out for each other and you could have had a sing song and most with litt fires in there snuggs ; astonian;

In Kelly's 1949 directory lists four to choose from :-

The Royal Mint
Brookfields Tavern
The Laurels
Rose and Crown
plus a couple of beer retailers.

Jan remembers The Lord Nelson pub just outside the Royal Naval Base in Portsmouth was known to sailors (and Wrens) as "the one eyed un" .

Colin

Colin

Hi colin ;
yes you are bang on i have drank many a pints in those boozers nightly
they was on my patch ; you beat me to it i was gonna named them in the thread but i had to dash off ;
many thanks for that info; astonian ;;

In Kelly's 1949 directory lists four to choose from :-

The Royal Mint
Brookfields Tavern
The Laurels
Rose and Crown
plus a couple of beer retailers.

Jan remembers The Lord Nelson pub just outside the Royal Naval Base in Portsmouth was known to sailors (and Wrens) as "the one eyed un" .

Colin

Colin
Now that makes perfect sense - to me anyway.

My mother-in-law had us all in stitches the other evening talking about a pub she used to frequent I think in Hingeston Street called the One I'd Done.

The 'One-Eyed'n' was on Iknield street opposite The Mint. If you walked from the number eight bus stop down Iknield street towards Pitsford street, on the left there was a cafe, a few houses, a second-hand shop and then the One-Eyed'ns as my Mum used to call it.

My mother-in-law had us all in stitches the other evening talking about a pub she used to frequent I think in Hingeston Street called the One I'd Done.

The 'One-Eyed'n' was on Iknield street opposite The Mint. If you walked from the number eight bus stop down Iknield street towards Pitsford street, on the left there was a cafe, a few houses, a second-hand shop and then the One-Eyed'ns as my Mum used to call it.

That sounds spot on Bob - thank you. My father-in-law worked at The Mint so it makes perfect sense. Do you know the "real" name of this pub by any chance?

you forgot to mention the beer retailer i knew the people at the second hand shop there was a little joint facing the mint then you walked down to the birmingham stopper company then yards on was the ansells pub i have mentionioned
one eyes was the little door and room facing the mint the pub on the corner of pitsford stret was as i said ;
astonian;; they had a bar and a smoke room ; and a side entrance ; astonian;;

That sounds spot on Bob - thank you. My father-in-law worked at The Mint so it makes perfect sense. Do you know the "real" name of this pub by any chance?

Hope this is of use to anyone.

Icknield street; 1943

Number 200 'The Royal Mint' pub.

201 Dining room/cafe. Thos Walter Marsh.

201 Confectioner. Mrs Lois Newell.

203 Tobacconist. Mrs Hughes.

204 Draper. Mrs Groves.

207 Furniture breaker. E. Bateman.

------------Great Western Terrace--------------

210 'The Royal Oak' pub. Mrs Adkins.

216 Shopkeeper. Mrs Davies.

-----------------Prescott Street.------------------

235 Jeweller. Charles Peach.

240 'The Commercial Inn' pub F. Walker

-------------------Pitsford Street---------------

Strange that these records were made/distributed in 1943.

Back