• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

One for Rowans fella

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Cheatham St (c) Birmingham Libraries

Attachments

• Nechells Cheatham street[1].jpg
    Nechells Cheatham street[1].jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks Postie.

Cattells Grove was my Grandparents area.(as you say this was just round the corner) The "old" falla'a family were Rupert street and he is waiting in anticipation to see if you can come up with a piccie of there.

Also we have been searching for a pic of Heathfield Road Maternity Home where he was "pupped"!!!

Hopeful and thank you. you are a star :-*

Heathfield Road (c) John Marks

Attachments

• Handsworth Heathfield Rd.JPG
    Handsworth Heathfield Rd.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 4
Thank you Postie.

Wonder which "House" he was "pupped" in? ;)

Looks a bitof a posh area don't it? ;D

It was a bit 'posh' Rowan.

There was a gated estate called Heathfield Estate, I went there once with mom, and we stood looking through the gates at the big houses in there. Very much later I found that the man who was the head of the department I worked for at ICI lived there.

Is it still gated?

The old Nelson, Rupert St O0 (c) Maria Twist

Attachments

• Nechells Old Nelson Great Lister St 1960's.jpg
    Nechells Old Nelson Great Lister St 1960's.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1
Thanks again Postie,

Wonder if this was the pub that Jim's Mother used to go to get "a jug of ale"?

These photo's bring alive the family history tales. They are great.

I don't know the area very well (having been born in Sheldon and raised in Erdington!!!)

But I do vaguely recall going to some very old houses by the Saltley Gasworks and walking over rubble to get to the house we were visiting. I realise now that it was bomb damage.

My Grandad, George Clegg, worked for the railways and I think it may have been Saltley Sheds, if there was such a place?? If not it would be Aston.

I really don't know much about my family as my Mother never spoke of them, so I enjoy trying to find out
about them.

Thank you again Postie and please keep 'em coming.

:angel: Postie your a genius...
My Dad played the piano in that pub many a time (We lived across the road in Wickham House) When it closed and was demolished in the early 1960's they gave him 'The Baby Grand Piano', it filled the lounge and there was not much room for anything else .
The pub was situated just at the junction of Rupert St, Great Lister, St and Henry St.
On Cromwell's pic' of the V.E Day parade (Mystery St Thread) they are the same Gasometers of Windsor St Gasworks and I know for sure the Lady that Cromwell mentions (Iris Haycock) and her family use to drink there too.

Rowan if he lived in Adams St it would have been the Windsor St Gasworks, there were railway workshops and sheds at Salty my brother in Law worked there in the 1960's as a shunter.

Chris :angel:

Back