• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

On the Beat in Birmingham

Blacksmith

master brummie
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but there's a good artcle in the History section on the BBC website about the setting up of the police force in Birmingham.

The following is just a snippet from it. I particularly like the bit about night serving police officers having to 'grow a beard that will cover his throat to keep his air tubes warm'.

Rules and regulations

Appropriate conduct for constables was laid down in a detailed book of instructions published in 1840 and issued to all new constables. On discovering a fire, for example, the constable, who doubled as a fireman, could consult his book for the suggested response, '...the constable will spring his rattle and cry fire there for raising an immediate alarm. He will also raise the inmates of any house or dwelling.' The instructions didn't just cover operational matters, '...night duty officers will grow a beard that will cover his throat to keep his air tubes warm...'.

The constable's uniform consisted of a top hat representing authority and a tailed jacket for servitude, because although the police were considered public servants they were also the public's masters. The officer would also have carried a truncheon, handcuffs (which were issued on a semi-regular basis from 1832 and by 1839 were commonplace), an oil lamp and - in some of the more dangerous areas - a cutlass. Police whistles came much later; the early Victorian constable would have carried a small wooden rattle.

Constables lived either in the police station or a few doors away. On parading for duty at 6am the day constables were marched to their beats. Only at this stage was the night constable they were relieving allowed to join the officers going on duty so he could march back to the police station to sign off. Had any incidents occurred on his beat then he would have to write up the report after he had finished his tour of duty.

If you want to read more, the link is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/beat_01.shtml

We still had to stand in line holding our Accoutrements for inspection by the Shift Inspector or Station Sergeant. We had personal Radios by then but still had to make meets out on the beat. Inspectors were gods back then, now you rarely see anything higher than a Constable in my town ( 1968 manning level of 6PCs, 5 Rural PCs, Two Sergeants, One Inspector, One Chief Inspector. It was a Sub Division back then.) We must all be alot better behaved now .

Here's another snippet from it:

Pulling rank

The rank structure of the force was very simple. At the top was the Superintendent. According to instructions issued for the running of the Birmingham force, 'It will be incumbent on him to direct the officers and men in their respective duties and to make such regulations with regard to the performance of them as he may find conducive to the interests of the service - subject to the approval of the Watch Committee.'

Plain-clothes detectives were introduced a few years later. Their main job was to circulate lists of stolen property and to check pawnshops as well as dealing with more serious crime - all under the guidance of the Detective Inspector. The DI was often responsible for the attendance of police officers at court, and was therefore able to meet most regular criminals; he needed a good memory for names and events.

The constables were the backbone of the force and, not surprisingly, the lowest paid. In 1839 a constable in Birmingham earned between 16 and 18 shillings (80-90p) a week.

hi guys
i feel sorry for the police today under paid and more severe aggrivasion than it was years ago
compared to the early days of policing ;at least they knew what they was up agaist
and they knew whom to visit and arrest and they knew there grades of safe blowers and burgarlars and the petty thief,s around in those days they are young drugged up misfitts
my grand father was a police officer whom came from glocestershire and eversham to the birmingham police force i am awaiting for there museum to open in acocks green to find out what rank he held
first he was at piddock st. then central steel house lane
have a nice day every one best wishes astonian ;;;

Here is a blast from the past. The last time i seen one of those police boxes Dixon of Dock Green was using it.

Image15_Policewomen_1956.jpg

Regards Stars

hi stars ;
there is no ends to your remarkability is there when it comes to all these pics are thes from your own collection or what they are increditable
and you truly amaze me with your results ; 1o out 1o [ if i was a school teacher and you was at school in my class i would give you a gold star ; for your work ; well done; that pic give me some good old memories regarding seeing that orininale police box
way back in time before the picture was taken there used to be one right out side my grand parentscoffee shop on the corner of number 1 newcannal street digbeth and next to it there was a fire stand as well it was a post with a peice of glass with a little hammer in within it
it was red and it was for emercencyies in case of a fire it said break glas and use the little hammer to report th fire thatwas also next to it ;
it was number 1 newcannal street and facing bordesly street digbeth my grand parents the jelfs was a transport coffee shop for boarders and the lorry drivers whom used to come to deliver typhoo tea next door and the catle traders coming up from the country side delivering cows and sheep or pigs to the pennsfor the hide and skin which was nxt door to the house and shop which had a lot of rooms with it the proper did take all the stret corner up
if you went to new cannal street today across from the as ware housesware houses and the dog pub public house which is on the opersite corner facing
you will see the extent of the ground that was occupied by my grand parents propery they owned that large knocked down ground
any way thanks for the cracking pic and them memory,s that you have stirred up nin my mind today ;
best wishes alan ; astonian

Anyone who recalls the b/w Carry On Constable film will remember the Station Sergeant (Sid James) marching his team to their repective beats.

Hi
Here are couple of photos of our policewomen in the 50s at Steelhouse Lane
and on parade outside the general hospital

In the office in 1955

Image2Police_women_in_Steelhouse_Lane_abt_1955.jpg

1952 on Parade outside the general hospital

Image1_Policewomen_on_Parade_outside_The_general_Hospital_abt_1952.jpg

Regards Stars

Here's another lovely snippet from that web site:

[h=2]On the straight and narrow[/h]The day constable would have to patrol at the pace of two and a half miles per hour, keeping the streets free from hawkers selling goods from suitcases, moving on persons causing an obstruction, and looking out for children playing in the street. He was not allowed to leave his beat or consume alcohol when on duty. Traffic duty consisted of ensuring the roads were not obstructed by horses and carts, hansom cabs and making sure that persons being carried in sedan chairs were transported on the road not on the pavement. He was not allowed to gossip with anyone or even pass the time of day with another constable if it was not in the line of duty. The policeman was clearly dissuaded from taking advantage of his smart new uniform - '...a constable will not enter into conversation with women especially female servants...'.

The Victorian policeman was lucky enough to receive sick pay (with a deduction of one shilling). However, if he had a hangover or injury caused by drinking, he received nothing - all at the discretion of his Superintendent. After his first year of duty, the constable received ten days leave a year, but he worked seven days a week!

Clearly though a thick rulebook was not enough to keep the constables on the straight and narrow. The Birmingham Police force 'Default book' for 1839-40 lists examples of where constables slipped up. The hapless PC George Leach joined the force in July 1840. On 3rd September he was found to be, 'Absent from duty beat at 9pm and found drinking in the White Lion Beer shop in the company of prostitutes and thieves - fined two days' pay'. Four days later a slightly ambiguous entry reads 'Highly disgraceful behaviour in Church yesterday - dismissed from the service.'

What an interesting snippet for anybody related to PC George Leach. I wonder what happened to him after this.

A couple of photos. The first showing a friendly neighbourhood bobby helping the kids cross Soho Road. The second, on parade. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332169509.878675.jpg Crossing Soho Road Handsworth

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332169537.217425.jpg On parade

Another good job performed by the police in the more sedate days,when children used to cycle on the road and not the footpath.Moss

Attachments

• cycling proficiecy.1961..JPG
    cycling proficiecy.1961..JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 30
hi moss
its a pitty they do not enforce this law today ;they are worse than ever if it aint the mobility scooters it s young kids even grown adults bombing around the pavements today jugging and weaving in and out of people but the police do not bother any more; i must admitt i used to do the sme when i was young in ladywood at the bottom of shakespear rd one night a ppolice officier was walking around the corner from anditon st he gave me a teling off and said next time he seen me on the pavement rideing the bike he would lock me up never rode onthe pavementsever since ;
whilst we are on the topic of the police ; i went passed the stratford rd police station and up the side only to find what i think is there old musuem ;
and there was banners up across the door saying neibourhood office ;am i to beleive that its totally finished [ the muesum ]
as i was hoping to go this year and try and get some info; on my grand father whom as i have said was a police officierfrom gloucester to birmingham
way back in the early 1900 i believe he was at piddock street smethwick then to steel house lane ;
i was hoping to find more of what rank he held if any ; i recall a big picture a long one with a huge crowd of police officiers whom had there picture taken
when i was a kid in my grand fathers office at park lane which showed a large group of police officiers but at thetime i really never knewof him or even not knowing which one he was ;when i used to stand next to my grand father at his office desk i used to look up at it and i thought whom or what has he got that up there
this grand father s office was jelfs ; as you know he was at 235 park lane aston cross and 237 -and a ware houses on the land behind the both shops
down a long yard where he also had the jelfs grocery hire and catureing bussinees along with a house which he rented to a mirs mack ;
but it was only in recent years that i discovered my other grand father whom was married to bertha hinton ; that he was a rank officier in the force and that it was him on that photograph ; and is fittings to me that the section of park lane aston cross goes back a fair bit of land so all thjat land is now the police motor transport section of the
police traffic cops ; so can any body tell me or advise where can i ge the info; from now if there is any chance of it ;
best wishes astonian;

HI GUYS ;
Its happenend again today yet another shooting og guns and murder ;will the police ever be fitted out with gunns
this subject was discussed many years ago about the day the police will be armed or ot way back in the fifties ;
i used to attend meeting about the hanging of peoples debates and it used to get very hot indeed at some points during the debates ;
as i have said many times and i am sure there is alot of you must see the way this country is going ; we ae becoming americanised in every hink they do there ideas and the way there country is ;
and also gun crime is on the up and up whether you want to agree or disagree it def; on the increase
all the years i have asociate with winson green and heath street ; i have never heard of a shooting yet today there as been a shooting and gunning down
of another person ;there was always gang war fare and violece but never a shooting ;
i know that down london if you mention winson green area they say oh thats a rough place way back in the sixties but there as not ever been a shooting
only gang war fare ; there was alot of druggs around in thesixties and seventies around thegreen but never a guning down over it ;
wellone thing said about it summer field police station will not deal with
top think they cleared heath street of all the back to backs houses and built new ones and this is the results
i can only presume its over druggs ;and put new people into the area ;
still its always been known for rough charactors and that par of brum is now become a no go area after dark ;
we shall know more later as to what its all about later today on the news ;do what the americans do lock them up for natural life
and the police are doing a grand job with there hands behind there backs lets hope they do not take industry action ;
and yes arm the police with guns it surely as to happened with in this country for the safty of every body not just the police survial us as well;
the gun bridgade is on he up beleive it or not despite the police say no its not ; the guns are increasing out there
best wishes astonian

HI ROVER MAN
Yes i recall those films and yes in there hey day when we had a police force in the early years of old peel;
the used to have problems with officiers not turning up as i read a book some years ago on the subject
but thank fully they got reorganised and they done a great job ;
but to me the police are going slack; but saying that yes i under stand why ; with getting low pay and pensions and the right to strike ;
i can tell you i have met some officiers and one by one they have disapeared slowly ;
the very latest case was friday evening after making a call to them ;the officier involved said can i call around at 7 30 i said i rather you call at 8 pm
to come under cover of the dark ;so he would not be seen entering ; but guess what he never phone or came around as agreed
as to why he will not come ; so i am to beleive he as disapeared like the rest of them ;
i can see the day coming when we will all have to defend our selfs and property and be come and now i call our local police station the keystone cops
because the station only does seventeen hours per week ; and beleive crime is rife around where i live ; astonian;

On the subject of declining police cover, I noticed the Police station in Coleshill is up for sale - apparently the police have to come from Bedworth for any incidents!!
I don't envy the police their jobs today, with some of the arrogance and disrespect they are shown, not only from the teenagers, but from their parents and families. That added to the fact that there is no real deterrent for criminals makes it a difficult task, even prison is a cushy number, food and board provided, education available, it's better than home for some of them, but hardly a punishment!
Sue

Sue the sale of the Coleshill police station is long overdue, it has been virtually redundant for many years.
I had my caravan stolen from Coleshill in 1994 and reported it at Coleshill station which at the time only opened part time, the man behind the desk was a civilian and I was told to report it at Bedworth.
In all the years since whilst I have seen a couple of Police cars every now and then on their forecourt I have never any officers coming in or out of the building.

Hi Sue
apparently its happening all over the country the closeing of stations who is really responible for there shortages i often wonder
on the part you said prison is home to some people;yes you are quite correct in years gone bye especialy at christmas times the people whom are home ;ess especialy
the old ragged men with hardly any clothining on there backs are more at risked for survial on the streets for many years i have seen many a guys
standing out side dudley rd police station in the dark nights andthrow a bottle through the police station window
and waited for the officiers to come running out and get arrested so they can be sent to jail;for the christmas and the new years ;
which i surpose is not a bad idea
some of the younger ones want locking up and the key throwing away ; in my opinion
many years ago when i came back from london one evening ;from euston ; i used to go to the pink elephant club thats when there was not many clubs around then to meet up with my pals where we stayed all night and this particular night there was a very dirty lookng tramp as they was called sitting out side the club on the pavement
he was a really old guy and i mean a old guy i stoped and looked down at him this was one thirty nthe morning he was black as coal from not washing himself and the closes was ragged ; so i went int the club and i took him just inside the foyer and my friends looke at me and said what are you doing with him ;
i said i have brouught him in out of the cold for a cuppa and some think to eat they said you are barmy ;
i just said to him hes an old fella ; and i shout to the gaffer behind the counter give him a cup of tea and a dinner ; i am paying ;
the old man kept saying thank you to me all the time ;
and he said son thanks very much ; for this i will not forget you ; he said to me i have to go to the lock ups every night he said because they let mesleep there for afew hours until morning and he said son i have alot of money coming my way ; and i will give you some for this ;
i just smiled and said okay ; and when he went they all said to me you are barmy for that but it did not bother me had he been young i would have took a different view ;
but yes some do become instuteized way of life best wishes astonian ;;;;

Back in 1916 Birmingham police helmets on point duty had these. Seems very sensible to me. Source: British Newspaper Archive. Viv,

1724392C-10F0-4BD5-AC90-D4A852F72994.jpeg

I joined Birmingham City Force in October 1965. My first station was Kenyon Street. We weren't marched to the beat then, but you carried a card which showed you the boundary of whatever beat you were posted to. You also had a list of times and locations where you had to meet the Sergeant, during your watch. If you couldn't make that, you had to have a good reason, and had to inform Sarge, why and wherefore! Also there were times you had to visit the 'Blue-Boy' telephone post, and ring in for any messages. The Station Sarge also had a list of call box numbers and you were sometimes expected to be at these call boxes at given times, in case they needed you. One point was in Icknield Street where there were four boxes (or was it three?) Sarge would give 'nozzers' a run around by ringing the numbers in turn.

As for Sid James, and 'Carry On Constable' well, ignoring the obvious "artistic licence" of actors, his character was particularly well-drawn and portrayed as it happens.
Happy Days...
John

Back