• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

February 2010 edition Olympic Gymnast Walter Tysall

W

Wendy

I was so surprised to read the article In Brummagem by Jeremy Thornton at Biddle and Webb. Apparently Walter Tysall was born in Birmingham in 1880. He was three times British Gymnastic Champion winning the title in 1906, 07 and Olympic year 1908. He won a silver medal missing gold by just a few points in what at the time was called the Gymnastic Heptathlon. Photo's and his silver medals will be auctioned on 5th March. I do hope a family member gets them if not a collector who will cherish them. It is such an interesting story I have never heard of!

There is this story about him in an Ancestry family tree:

Gymnastics at the 1908 Summer Olympics - Men's all-around
The men's individual all-around, also known as the heptathlon, was one of two gymnastics events on the Gymnastics at the 1908 Summer Olympics programme. As suggested by the alternate name, the competition included seven events with the scores summed to give a final score.The events were:

1. Horizontal bar, swinging movements
  2. Horizontal bar, slow movements
  3. Parallel bars
  4. Rings, swinging
  5. Rings, stationary
  6. Vault
  7. Rope climbing
The event was won by Alberto Braglia of Italy with a score of 317 points and Walter Tysall took silver for Great Britain, just 5 points short of gold, with a score of 312. The bronze medal was won by Louis Segura of France with 297.

Here's a link to the auction house's page on him
https://www.biddleandwebb.co.uk/blog-entry.cfm?theFqID=C2FFCF86-15C5-F4C0-99D06DDC9E94572B

Thanks Lloyd I just thought it a shame I had never heard of Walter Tysall. The link to Biddle and Webb is the same article that's in Brummagem magazine.

Back