• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oliver Street Bloomsbury

pudding

master brummie
Hi all,

I have came across this photo of a street party which the owner said was taken somerwhere in Nechells,but no name of the streets or roads the only name I can make out is the shop in background called E Aston.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think they are in Saint Saviours Rd, probably a VE party as there is flags and Bunting hanging up. Eric

Last edited:
There are photographs in the house windows so presumably the celebrations had connection to do with the occupants unless it is Coronation year and it is the Queen that is in the photographs.

Last edited:
There are photographs in the house windows so presumably the celebrations had connection to do with the occupants unless it is Coronation year and it the Queen that is in the photographs.
Looks like a photo of the Queen in the window.

Pudding

It could be Elizabeth Aston 21 Oliver Street.
Hi Phil. is oliver st running across from left to right on thr photo? if so then the person taking the photo is standing in Cromwell st?
thank you for your time and help.

Pudding I am going by the name that you said you could make out on the shop, where is the name displayed because I can't see it. If the shop is 21 Oliver Street then I think the photographer would have been in Schofield Street looking toward Great Lister Street.

John are you going with personal knowledge or can you make out the street sign? Because if you know what corner of Willis Street Lupin Street it was then I might have another photo.

Pudding I am going by the name that you said you could make out on the shop, where is the name displayed because I can't see it. If the shop is 21 Oliver Street then I think the photographer would have been in Schofield Street looking toward Great Lister Street.

John are you going with personal knowledge or can you make out the street sign? Because if you know what corner of Willis Street Lupin Street it was then I might have another photo.
Phil, could this photo help you to work out thr location better? as it taken from the opposite side of the road/street? taken 1946

The corner building directly behind the man on the motorbike looks the same as the one in the other photo but at different dates. The street name sign left of upper window and advert sign right of the window in same positions.

Pudding

The Name Oliver Street is quite plain on the street sign, though what I said before about the position of the photographer you can forget as from your second photo I can see it's the other direction and the person taking the photo has their back to Great Lister Street and in fact would be stood where the red spot is on this map.

The corner building directly behind the man on the motorbike looks the same as the one in the other photo but at different dates. The street name sign left of upper window and advert sign right of the window in same positions.

i agree OM same location just a few years apart

Back