• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oldfield Road

Gladysarthur

Brummie babby
I am a new member so finding my way around the forum,I was just wondering if any body here had any photos or info on Oldfield Road,I believe it was in Sparkbrook.
Thanks

Gladys

Oldfield Road is actually in Balsall Heath at least the little of it that remains. Here are some photos of the street through the years. There are two of the bottom end of the road near Ladypool Road, A couple of celebration day street party's (one VE day and another George VI coronation day) finally one looking down the road not long before demolition. Oh yes I've added a map showing it's location running from Woodfield Road to Ladypool Road. Just click on the images to enlarge them.

Balsall Heath Oldfield Rd (2).jpgSparkbrook Oldfield Rd 1957.jpgSparkbrook Oldfield Rd George V Silver Jubilee.JPGBalsall Heath Oldfield Rd Coronation Day George VI .jpgmap Balsall Heath 2.jpgBalsall Heath Oldfield Rd.jpg

Gladys

Oldfield Road is actually in Balsall Heath at least the little of it that remains. Here are some photos of the street through the years. There are two of the bottom end of the road near Ladypool Road, A couple of celebration day street party's (one VE day and another George VI coronation day) finally one looking down the road not long before demolition. Oh yes I've added a map showing it's location running from Woodfield Road to Ladypool Road. Just click on the images to enlarge them.

View attachment 129086View attachment 129087View attachment 129088View attachment 129089View attachment 129090View attachment 129091
Thank you Phil,I have been doing my family tree for a few years and have never been able to find any photos of the road my dad was born and grew up in,I know the houses then were very dire,my dad was born in 19007
Thanks very much

Glady's

I don't think that Oldfield Road was that bad a road to live in, I knew people who spent most of their lives living there and were sorry to go when the demolition started. What number was the house that your dad was born in?

Glady's

I don't think that Oldfield Road was that bad a road to live in, I knew people who spent most of their lives living there and were sorry to go when the demolition started. What number was the house that your dad was born in?
I think it was 2 back of 21,I know the family were very poor,my dad joined the army the day after his 17th birthday,he told me it was the only way he could get a decent set of clothes and decent meals.

Back