• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLDEST AND YOUNGEST BHF MEMBERS

Born 31/7/1935 Sorento Moseley, Wednesday April 17th on 60th anniversary of my first advanced (IAM) test re-took it and passed with no prob. Despite heart bypass 2014 and Prostate cancer live every day like it's your last . . . . . . Oh and still 'internet savvy'
I was born at Sorento in June 1933

how long has this fourm been going ?
Had a quick play with the forum search this morning to find the earliest post ever on the BHF.
The earliest posts I've found so far were two on July 25 2002. One of them below from jennyann and it suggests she was member No 6 so perhaps there are earlier ones but search does not seem to find them .. :)
On my office wall I have a painting (print) of Aston Cross depicting a l948 street scene. It is in colour and has the perspective facing Aston Cross from approximately where the Library was and is looking up Park Road. Ansells Brewery is being rebuilt with it's brick fascia which has scaffolding on it. The red electric sign saying - Ansells --the Better Beer, is in place. The clock tower is prominent. Just coasting up to the tower is a No. 2 tram sporting a Littlewoods advertising banner along it's side and an ad for Roadley's of Corporation St, who sold prams. This would have come directly from the terminus at Chester Road, Erdington,

gingerjon (john houghton) who is still a member along with a couple of others no longer with us set up this forum on july 24th 2002 and for that we are eternally grateful:)...as you say phil jennyann would have been one of the first to join...lyn

Hi Lyn, I did notice his post on 25 Jul 2002 as seen below and he is down as member No 5 ...
Phil
My first job on leaving school was at Hercules Cycles in Rocky Lane I was employed as a case maker all cycles that where exported were packed in the cases we made. The forman was Edgar I only knew his first name nice bloke it was a huge place to work at there were numerous different departments my favourite was the wheel assembly shop that's where all the girls worked this was the first of many jobs I had next port of call Ansells in the bottling conveyour room directing the grates of beer to different dispatch areas.

more to follow later

Sylvia Sayers joined in August 2002, Postie (the gaffer)in November 2002,Pomgolian (Chris) January 2003, I was late starter May 2003.
Some of us who have been here a long time were originally members of Virtual Brum and when it ended I was invited to join BHF by one its founders, the late Rod Birch.
Alberta.

Svlvia's earliest post I can find is on 8 Aug 2002 below and she is down as member No 11
Co-op

My number was 386787 and I had the same co-op milkman Joe as John H
I also had bread and coal delivered when I lived in Burlington Street. I bought some groceries from the shop next to the Stork pub in Newtown Row. and also had a bedroom suite from the main High Street, Co-op in town.

My son Michael had his first hair cut at the Co-op in High Street, and I have a certificate to prove it. I didn't take him again though because he screamed and wriggled and thoroughly embarassed me.

My mother's number was 110443 and this was written in indelible pencil on
the backdoor post, she was a great believer in the co-op and had bread, milk and coal, and also used their laundry service as my father hated wet washing hanging around, the laundry came back so stiff you had to almost prise it apart and the buttons on my dad's shirts were often broken and guess who had to sew them back on.

My mother also had co-op checks if you had a £10 check you repaid it at ten shillings old money per week for 20 weeks, then another one was taken out, mom used these to buy towels, bed linen, curtains etc., we used to go to the drapers shop on Aston Cross to make the repayments.

The divi was quite generous for a long time it was one shilling ad tuppence in the pound. I think you could draw your divi twice a year from
the fifth floor at the main shop in High Street, my mother saved enough to pay for my wedding reception - at Burlington Street School.

Seeing that I'm having a look at other member's first posts I suppose I ought to put mine on.
I was a latecomer and posted on Aug 1 2007 and I was member No 1669.
Came across this Site, thought I'd try a reply
I used to race for the Mohawks in the 50's and 60's against teams such as Aldwych, Nottingham, and others.
We had many good away trips to race Aldwych at Richmond Ice Rink.
My speed skates are still in the loft !
I have quite a few photos of the full Mohawks club with many of the members named.
If anyone wants to see what their now elderly relatives looked like at the rink then I could email or post copies.
I remember the manager Cecil Woodward shouting 'slowdown' to those of us speeding in the general sessions.
Three catches and you were barred for two weeks, so off to Nottingham for those weeks.
One night, parts of the inner roof started to fall in and they had to close for two weeks to remove it.
New Years Eve nights at the rink were great.
I think the owner of the rink was James Easton, he used to park his Bentley near the front entrance.
Sometimes, with our skates still on, we used to sneak across the road to the pub !
I remember skating on the car park one icy winter.
I always thought the rink was in Summer Hill rather than Spring Hill.
When the rink closed I never really liked the move to the Silver Blades Rink in central Birmingham.
It was a nice rink but lacked atmosphere. It did have the Heartbeat club upstairs.
Solihull had a nice ice rink, is it still there ?
Eventually I got married and had to concentrate on a career so the skating stopped.
My last skating experience was in Ilfracombe in the 70's , where some small theater had a plastic 'ice' surface.
I showed-off my speed skating ability to my son and some of the locals !

Seeing that I'm having a look at other member's first posts I suppose I ought to put mine on.
I was a latecomer and posted on Aug 1 2007 and I was member No 1669.
First time that I knew we had a membership number. Perhaps there should be some sort of celebration when we get to the 5000th and 10,000th member, assuming we haven't got there already. Dave.

Back