• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oldbury 1950 Map. Help Please

evergreen

Cradley Heathen
Could any of you kind people help. I am trying to find a map of Oldbury in 1950.

Also trying to find out the names and addresses of any working mens hostels in the area.

I think there may be one run by Accles & Pollock's but this may be a long shot.

If not. do you have any idea where I can find this information out.

Many thanks, Heather

Heather not what you want..:rolleyes: but just as a bit of trivia from Wiki .. 1910 Accles & Pollock built the world's first all-metal aircraft, the Mayfly, in their Oldbury factory, using a steel tubing structure :) more trivia .. The Accles-Turrell was an English automobile built between 1899 and 1901 in Perry Bar, Birmingham, England and from 1901 to 1902 in Ashton under Lyne.

The company began in 1899 when the British pioneer motorist Charles McRobie Turrell who had helped organise the 1896 London-Brighton Emancipation Run, joined Accles Ltd a Birmingham engineering company. The car was a 3hp two-seater light carriage equipped with a single cylinder engine of Accles manufacture and a body by Arthur Mulliner of Northampton. The engine drove the rear wheels by belt to the 3 speed gearbox and chain to the wheels. The top speed was claimed to be 20 mph (33 km/h).
its amazing what you find out looking for something else aint it:rolleyes:could try email [email protected]

Last edited:
Back