• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'Old' Yardley Wood School

DAJ

knowlegable brummie
Hello. Does anyone know if the old buildings set back off Yardley Wood Road near Swanshurst Pool is the original Yardley Wood school which was replaced by modern buildings some time ago?

Thanks.

Where exactly are the buildings you refer to? I can't think of any "school type" buildings by Swanshurst park.

Thanks. As you drive along the Yardley Wood Road from the roundabout near Billesley Fire Station towards Swanshurst Road, there is an old building set well back on the left and virtually invisible unless you know it is there at SP089815.

I see. It appeared to be boarded up. Do you know where the original Yardley Wood School was situated?

Last time (quite a while ago) I went there it was a neighbourhood office - no idea what it is now.

It seems to have been the neighbourhood office until at last 2016 but by 2019 it was a day nursery.

If a child lived in the Pendeen Road Chin Brook Road area in the 1930's 40's what would the nearest Primary, Secondary school would they have gone to ¿ Please

If a child lived in the Pendeen Road Chin Brook Road area in the 1930's 40's what would the nearest Primary, Secondary school would they have gone to ¿ Please
l think it would have been Yardley Wood Primary & Secondary School on the School Road. The Nursery, Primary and Secondary buildings were next to each other. l went to all of them as l was born there in 1953 & lived in School Road. l was 4 yrs old when l went to the Nursery in School Road and l have very clear memories of my first day there. l left the Secondary School when l was 14 in 1967.

l think it would have been Yardley Wood Primary & Secondary School on the School Road. The Nursery, Primary and Secondary buildings were next to each other. l went to all of them as l was born there in 1953 & lived in School Road. l was 4 yrs old when l went to the Nursery in School Road and l have very clear memories of my first day there. l left the Secondary School when l was 14 in 1967.
That's correct. I was born in Pendeen Road and went to those schools.

Ivor do you remember my Grandparents by any chance Breakwell (Gladys and Dennis son David, daughters Betty and June) they lived at number 18

Hi, I'm sorry but I dont remember them. I was born in 1949 at number 34 which was on the corner of Glastonbury Road and lived there until 1969.

Stone me l went to Yardley Wood School Infants, Junior and Seniors. Pendeen Rd Cleeve Rd. Was the chippie in Ravenshill Rd. My mother died when I was three and my grandmother lived at 212 School Rd. My home address was in Maypole.

Back