• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

'Old' Yardley Wood School

DAJ

knowlegable brummie
Hello. Does anyone know if the old buildings set back off Yardley Wood Road near Swanshurst Pool is the original Yardley Wood school which was replaced by modern buildings some time ago?

Thanks.

Where exactly are the buildings you refer to? I can't think of any "school type" buildings by Swanshurst park.

Thanks. As you drive along the Yardley Wood Road from the roundabout near Billesley Fire Station towards Swanshurst Road, there is an old building set well back on the left and virtually invisible unless you know it is there at SP089815.

I see. It appeared to be boarded up. Do you know where the original Yardley Wood School was situated?

Last time (quite a while ago) I went there it was a neighbourhood office - no idea what it is now.

It seems to have been the neighbourhood office until at last 2016 but by 2019 it was a day nursery.

If a child lived in the Pendeen Road Chin Brook Road area in the 1930's 40's what would the nearest Primary, Secondary school would they have gone to ¿ Please

If a child lived in the Pendeen Road Chin Brook Road area in the 1930's 40's what would the nearest Primary, Secondary school would they have gone to ¿ Please
l think it would have been Yardley Wood Primary & Secondary School on the School Road. The Nursery, Primary and Secondary buildings were next to each other. l went to all of them as l was born there in 1953 & lived in School Road. l was 4 yrs old when l went to the Nursery in School Road and l have very clear memories of my first day there. l left the Secondary School when l was 14 in 1967.

l think it would have been Yardley Wood Primary & Secondary School on the School Road. The Nursery, Primary and Secondary buildings were next to each other. l went to all of them as l was born there in 1953 & lived in School Road. l was 4 yrs old when l went to the Nursery in School Road and l have very clear memories of my first day there. l left the Secondary School when l was 14 in 1967.
That's correct. I was born in Pendeen Road and went to those schools.

Ivor do you remember my Grandparents by any chance Breakwell (Gladys and Dennis son David, daughters Betty and June) they lived at number 18

Hi, I'm sorry but I dont remember them. I was born in 1949 at number 34 which was on the corner of Glastonbury Road and lived there until 1969.

Stone me l went to Yardley Wood School Infants, Junior and Seniors. Pendeen Rd Cleeve Rd. Was the chippie in Ravenshill Rd. My mother died when I was three and my grandmother lived at 212 School Rd. My home address was in Maypole.

Yardley Wood School had two entrances one up a long drive from School Rd the rear one was off Ravenshill Rd there was a third one I remember now that used to be from in a Cul De Sac in Ravenshill Rd that was just past the row of shops where the chippie was.

The school by Trittiford Park going towards Billesley to the T junction with Yardley Wood Rd was a Catholic school. Our Lady Of Lordes I remember. Opp Chinn Brooke Rd.

Taken from https://billdargue.jimdofree.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-y/yardley-wood/

Yardley Wood Church School opened in 1838 in a former meeting house which doubled as a chapel; there were less than sixty children on roll with one master and a mistress. In 1893 the children were transferred to Yardley Wood Board School which opened with accommodation for 250 pupils. A new school has been built along the road, but the old school buildings still stand on School Road/ Patricia Avenue

Attachments

• yardley wood.jpg
    yardley wood.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 3
Stone me l went to Yardley Wood School Infants, Junior and Seniors. Pendeen Rd Cleeve Rd. Was the chippie in Ravenshill Rd. My mother died when I was three and my grandmother lived at 212 School Rd. My home address was in Maypole.
Hi, there was a chippie in Ravenshill Road. My sister was friends with a Valerie Lines who lived in Glastonbury Road. Dont know if she might be a relation of yours.

Hi, there was a chippie in Ravenshill Road. My sister was friends with a Valerie Lines who lived in Glastonbury Road. Dont know if she might be a relation of yours.
There were quite a few Lines families in Yardley Wood. Non related to me. Jill Lines and Pauline Lines were in the same class as me all through senior school. Jill Lines who I had a crush on lived in Scribbers Lane.

I remember the Chippy. Chips were three pence or four pence for a large portion. I used to get sent there every Friday uncle Alf always had Hake aunt Lil cod and uncle Roy plaice, I myself liked plaice. School playing fields entrance was in Ravenhill Rd the phone box being opposite the entrance to the playing fields. The health clinic was further down School Rd next to the library. My brother who was seven years older than me built me a tracking bike for my thirteenth birthday. First day I got it I took off down School Rd. There were a number of girls from my class who were sitting on the health clinic wall, I was just going to show off. Pulled wide to save slowing down to go into the recreation ground banked it the back wheel went from underneath me and I ended up in the gravel. Needless to say I never looked at the girls but grabbed the bike jumped back on and shot into the rec. I was happy it was August and I hoped they had forgot about it by the time we went back to school. Annette Hands was one of those girls I think that was how you pronounced her surname, I only remember Annette as my next door neighbour one Robert Massey said they were related.

Last edited:
Thanks. As you drive along the Yardley Wood Road from the roundabout near Billesley Fire Station towards Swanshurst Road, there is an old building set well back on the left and virtually invisible unless you know it is there at SP089815.
I think you will find this is the old Billesley Police Station.

I lived at 212 School Rd with my grandmother most of my life. I was also 14 when I left Yardley Wood Secondary Modern, only because my 15 birthday was in August. That was 1962 just in time for the Mod scene.

Back