• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old TVS

Found this in an old book and it says it is and Ekco Scophony TV receiver one of the first of it's kind. Jean.

Ain't things moved on! Below are a couple of pictures of the advancement of TV's. The first is the inside of an old 405 line black & white TV and the second the inside of a new flatscreen TV. Most of that in the picture of the new one is the power supply, the TV bit is inside the metal case on the right. I must say the new ones aren't so much fun to work on, for a start you don't get blasted against the wall when your finger slips off the test lead with the new ones and there ain't any nice warm valves to warm you up on a cold day. Most TV's these days are repaired by a quick board change, gone are the days of tracing the fault with a trusty multimeter and circuit diagram, better than solving a good crossword that is and a nice feeling of satisfaction when you have tracked down the little blighter of a component causing all the trouble. I must say I have found more entertainment in fixing TV's than watching them over the years, I think people got the wrong idea of Mr. Baird's invention, you are supposed to look at the back of the TV not the front to get the most entertainment value out of them.:D

Dave I remember my dad going to Jolly's to buy spare parts for our tele. The second was a rental from somewhere on the Coventry road so that was the end of his tinkering in the back of the box. I wish I could remember the company's name. Bye. Jean.

Thanks Len ours was a small family run company and thanks Dave for the photo's. They were so friendly that when round our way they popped in for a cuppa. It's doin me head in trying to remember the name. They used to come and collect the coins out of the box. Bye. Jean.

Remember when Television closed down at night and was not a 24 hour thing, most afternoons all we had to look at was the test card. I think the attached picture was better than some of the programmes we now get. Maybe we could use this picture when the Forum goes off line. :rolleyes:

Link to BBC test page. Len. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncmg3bxtTB0"]YouTube- BBC Test Card F (1978)[/ame]

The woman who was the little girl in that was on tele last year. Used to like to watch the potters wheel always wanted to grow to be one of them. Never did though. Jean.

I'll have a shot with the camera JJ. Have not posted a picture in a while. We still have three of the old analogue is it, TVs two about 25 years old. The picture on the oldest one which is what we watch all the time, was not so good recently but now since the cable became digital and with a bit of tweaking, the picture is better than ever. The cable company converts the signal I guess. Anyway I was going to splurge and buy a 40" flat panel but pricing here v the US is rediculus and the soccer ball looks a bit odd even with 120 thingermerzies so since the old one still shows a good ball I think I will hang on. You have to realy watch the model number on the latest TVs. You might think you are getting a bargain and the TVs are the same size and even look the same but there is a wide variation in the content from one model No. to another even of the same brand. We pay about 80% more for the same stuff here than in the US even though the dollar C is only a cent or two under the dollar US. Ohhh the benefits of free trade.

Thanks Rupert look forward to that. There is a shop in Bewdley that sells these sets in working order and they cost a bob or two. Jean.

Some kind soul lent us a flippin' ENORMOUS flat-screen TV to trial, but it took over the room and picture was rubbish.

Just had a look at what's on tonight (we're terrestrial only) and the only thing I have half a mind to watch is Four Weddings And A Funeral. My missus just went into a trance watching Strictly Come Dancing, which puts me in a trance for very different reasons....I can't stand it, being the main one.

Big Gee

Thanks Len ours was a small family run company and thanks Dave for the photo's. They were so friendly that when round our way they popped in for a cuppa. It's doin me head in trying to remember the name. They used to come and collect the coins out of the box. Bye. Jean.

As I said on post 17. Telebank, we had them for years. It was a good way of saving. Bit annoying looking for a 50 pence half way through your favourite programme:(

( Me Grandson started something here ain't he:))

Jean were they Ladds tv, or Sweeny or Colourvision or multivision or john james or multibroadcast or redifusion. I used to do aerial rigging and there were loads of tv rental companies.

When we bought our first TV in the 1970's we pushed the boat out and bought a 4 channel colour Alba set from Maynards in Prince of Wales Lane. They did a maintainance sceme after the guarantee ran out. In 10 years it only went wrong once and we kept it after another couple of years without the scheme before giving it away to elderly Aunt and Uncle who were still watching black and white. They were still using it until sadly they passed away within weeks of each other about 9 or 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Robert no none of those. I have gone through the alphabet several times but nothing rings any bells. Bye. Jean.

Just had a flash of inspiration and remembered the name of the shop. It was Pearsons Electric. Or Peers Electric a family run business. I must still have some grey cells active. Jean.

Back