• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old TVS

well i put these on to see what you like best to let you know these pictures are old TVS

moz-screenshot.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

moz-screenshot-2.jpg

moz-screenshot-3.jpg

They have'nt come up green man:(

Did anyone have one of those TV's with the circular selector where you pushed in a button and the whole dial motored round until the one you pressed was at the top? 12 buttons and just 2 or maybe 3 channels - what a great idea they were.

First set we had, had a casing made out of bakelite and you could tune

to either TV or Radio.

Can't remember the make though..

regards
Neville.

Sean, I posted the link to the museum, i had not looked at it for years, now i can`t stop looking!. Len.

I was 9 in 1954 when my dad died; I imagine it was the insurance money that bought our 1st TV - a Bush 54. It cost eighty odd pounds! It had a rotary station tuner with numbers 1 up to 10 or 12. BBC was on 4 and ATV on 8. It was, of course VHF 405 lines. The best entertainment for me was on 9. where we picked up the police radio. When we visited my Aunt and Uncle in Market Drayton, Granada was on 7, but on a good day one could get ATV on 8 - albeit a weak signal delivering a snowey picture and crackling sound.
Ted

nice link to pics of Tvs .. we are still using one now :shh: cant seem to get a picture on a bit intermittent :rolleyes:

When I left school, my first job was servicing tv's just like those in the greenman psoting - how dare you call them old!

Like jean, we had a slot TV with a company called Telebank. They took your rent and gave you the rest of the money back:)

I remember my dad bought our first television it was a Cossor a console model and it was from Matty's on Lichfield Rd.

It only had one station and when other stations come on stream we had like a cat's whisker device to tune in another station wasn't very good.

Saw the Coronation in blck and white.

Do you remember the intervals they used to show, the potter, going up the river ( never arrived at the church you see in the distance) and the fish it was enough to make you go to sleep.

The BBC started up at 7 pm with news and the tower at Alexandra Place,

presenters Macdonald Hobley, Mary Malcomn and I think it was Leslie Phillips.

Our 1st TV was a 9" Pye. My dad had to thump it on the top with his fist occasionally to make it work. I remember a mate's family had a massive 12" Murphy set. I saw my first cup final on it with Stanley Matthews on the right wing. :)

We had a old black and white slot TV off a firm called Collis TV Rentals. When we decided to buy one of our own Collis's told us to leave their set outside the front door and they would pick it up. Thinking somebody else might pick it up instead we kept in the hall by the front door waiting for them to call but they never did then we found out they had stopped trading so we took it to the tip because of its age and the slot machine on the back.

First TV we had was a Pye 12" - it had a purple screen, and a huge bakelite case. It took two strong men to lift it. Like many others in the early days of TV, we had it for The Coronation in 1953. It came from Jolly's on Witton Circle, and it took about half an hour to warm up, and if you saw the beer-bottle size valves in it, you'd know why.

My old man would turn it on at about 5.30 for the 6.00 News, and we'd be treated to another half-hour of zig-zags, splutterings, etc.

It lasted us quite a few years, though, until the old man went ape one day and bought a 16" Ecko - a cut above. What's My Line, Quatermass, later Doctor Who - great stuff!

These days TV is such a load of total rubbish I hardly ever bother to watch.

Big Gee

We had a tv my dad converted from an old radar screen it was about 12" square and a green screen. Our John may read this and fill in more info!:)

Visit
https://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/
and click on the second panel down marked Interludes and Announcers to re-run those old interludes - Potter's Wheel, Angel Fish, Kitten with Ball of Wool etc.
And, at the bottom, London to Brighton in 4 minutes is still running!

Can anyone remember when the tube was on the way out and the picture got smaller and smaller from the sides and when a valve burnt out oh my goodness the smell.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Green man, Yes here he is. Len. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1bAgqy89M"]YouTube- Theme song and credits to Popeye[/ame]

I remember when the set was switched off I would watch and wait till the little dot disapeared......maybe I should have got out more!:D

Back