• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old tv programmes

Reference the old ATV start-up music referred to earlier, there is a nostalgic reconstruction of the whole sequence at :

https://www.sub-tv.co.uk/atv58_startup.swf

The quality is too good to be the original, but it is a convincingly accurate remake, together with the fully animated construction of the ATV logo as the march reaches its climax. The picture quality is better than we would have seen on our old 405 line TVs at the time.

The sequence is based on the London area transmitter but, other than the word CROYDON it is identical to the Midlands start-up.

Much more similar at :

https://www.sub-tv.co.uk/atvstartups.asp

Does anyone recall a programme that featured Bi-Planes It was set out in the desert if I recall correctly. I seem to think the baddies had some means of shooting a flame-thrower at following planes.

Yesss! Wasn't it "The Black Ace"? I don't know why, but I was riveted to it, even as a 9-year old girl.
I also loved Hopalong Cassidy - and his sidekick Windy Halliday(?)

Angela

does anybodie remember the show they made about a fishing club in Small Heath.I think they used the roost pub by the blues ground and i think the star of the show was the chap who was married to Jill in Crossroads.It would of been in the early 80s.theres one to pick the bones from.Best Wishes

JohnO that will teach you. I used to watch What's my line and am trying to remember the name of one of the contestents jobs. It ended in stopper?????. Jean.

Just spotted this thread although it as year plus old but a very interesting read. By the way Jean I think the job title was a "Sagger makers bottom knocker" I think it was something to to with the pottery industry.

Dunno about that, but I do remember a fishing program with Noel Gordon and I think Terry Thomas, in which he was teaching her how to fish. Was on late on a weeknight around 1965

Col yes it was Terry Thomas but |I remember it much later than 1965 and Tight Lines was his catch phrase - I do think sometimes Chris Tarrant was on it

Does anyone remember Rhoda with Valerie Harper - it used to be great humour with Rhoda's mom and Carlton the doorman

hello, i'm not sure but wasn't the Jack Jackson show on tele with Libby Morris, i used to love his humour and all the great music

shardeen

How about;-

Sugarfoot
Cheyanne (spelling?)
Wagon Train
Lamb Chop
The Roaring Twenties - I had the hots for Pinky Pinkham (Dorothy Provine, who died recently) I had her name plastered all over my school bag.
Cool for Cats with Kent Walton
Fury
Champion the wonder horse
Sea Hunt (Lloyd Bridges)

I loved Hi DE Hi, robin hood (richard green), william tell, (fat gessler), billy bunter, and wacko, The Huggets,Highway Patrol, I love Lucy, so many more.
paul

I had the hot's for Rowdy Yates in Wagon Train. I can always remember my dad bringing me and my brothers home a block of cadbury's chocolate with the 6 different flavours in one block of choc just to watch Wagon Train...and then bed ready for school the next morning. Mind you, Bonanza some years later took some beating.

hello all, yes Caroline Libby Morris did and she had a brilliant sense of humour. back to progs what about Oh Boy!!

shardeen

I had the hot's for Rowdy Yates in Wagon Train. I can always remember my dad bringing me and my brothers home a block of cadbury's chocolate with the 6 different flavours in one block of choc just to watch Wagon Train...and then bed ready for school the next morning. Mind you, Bonanza some years later took some beating.

Rowdy Yates was Rawhide. Flint McCullough was the geezer in Wagon Train with a similar role. Played by Robert Horton.

Sugarfoot ? or was it Tenderfoot. Only drank Saspirella in the saloon, vaguely remember it, sounds a bit gay now dont he ?

Anybody rememeber a sort of Sci Fi thing on sunday afternoons, Donald Pleasance was the school caretaker in it i think.

Thank your Lucky Stars, or Juke Box Jury, with Janice Nichols giving it 5, Think I heard somewhere that she was up for being Hughie Greens assistant Double your Money, but when her boyfriend chinned Adam Faith she fell out of favour and Monica Rose got the job.

Sugarfoot or Tenderfoot was decided by which channel you watched it on.....BBC or ITV, they both showed it but at different times. TV companies used to buy packages of programs from the USA and sometimes the serial/series would pop up on the other channel.
https://www.classictvhits.com/cast.php?id=3831
We watched an awful lot of cowboys back then.

Certainly did Arkrite, I forgot about Rawhide, Maverick, Hawkeye and Wagon Train
Do you remember the name of the cowboy series that starred Richard Boone ?

Much obliged Fatfingers.

Now then, how about Callan - Edward Woodward and the great Russell Hunter. I have just watched an old episode of Frost where he played a police sargeant and he cracked me up. Who played the part of Toby Meres ?

There was a spy type series called The Men in Room 13 (I think that was the number) 9pm Friday evening as I recall

Also Fatfingers, did you see Boone's cameo role in John Wayne's last film called The Shootist ?

Much obliged Fatfingers.

Also Fatfingers, did you see Boone's cameo role in John Wayne's last film called The Shootist ?

Not a fan, only came across it cos I was trying to work out which TV western had a theme song that started with " There was a man with a gun"

Thought it was Lawman, but cant find the theme on youtube.

my late films was
highway patrol and 999 scotland yard and the 39 steps and of course alfred hitchcock he always put him self some where in the picture at least once

Back