• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old tram routes in birmingham

Bushbaby
Astonian is marked as "Gone but not forgotten", which means that, unfortunately , he is deceased.

Bush Baby, No, trams were never on Park Lane, only the No. 8 inner circle 'bus route which crossed Aston Cross and continued down Rocky Lane towards Nechells. Eric

Hi there Astonian.. can you please help me with this question that I'm asking and this is it..... did trams go along PARK LANE.. .. that's my question.. I lived in Aston a long time and even looking back at old pics of park lane I ca not see any tram lines at all... I'm sure a tram come down park road to Lichfield rd which then went onto town.. I ask because I know you have such superior knowledge of Aston.. I await your reply.. I'm on Facebook Margaret Harris if you can not get back to me on this site.. but I await your reply..many thanks..
I don't believe that there were ever trams on Park Lane.
Dave A

I don't believe that there were ever trams on Park Lane.
Dave A
Dave A ..many thanks Dave..sometimes people just don't want to be corrected.. and I feel that regardless they should be if you are only correcting them..as other people would be inclined to believe them that trams ran down Park Lane IF they did not have any knowledge of the area.. . But thanks for that Dave.. stay safe and alert..oh and thanks again..

Bushbaby, the Tram that came down Park Road was the 3X Witton to Martineau Street via Aston Cross, later (about 1950) replaced by the 39 bus. I used to catch both to work in the 40s/50s. Eric

A tram on Park Road
Tram 631 on Park Road Aston. The 3X route closed in 1949 and buildings in this pic were demolished to make way for the Aston Expressway.
index.php

Its just passing the Sycamore pub, one of my locals. There was a tram stop in front of the pub (hidden by the tram) were I used to catch the 3X, later the 39 bus. Aston church bottom of hill where my Mom and Dad were married mid 20's. On the right would have been Aston Park. Eric

Bushbaby, the Tram that came down Park Road was the 3X Witton to Martineau Street via Aston Cross, later (about 1950) replaced by the 39 bus. I used to catch both to work in the 40s/50s. Eric
The 3X trams stopped running on the 31st of December 1949. This photograph shows tram 692 outside the Aston Hotel at Witton opposite the tram depot. This was probably on or around the last day of service on the no 3X route. The chalked bus route number (64) was to let passengers know what the replacement bus service was. However the 64 replaced the no 2 route and I suspect that 692 had been working the no 2 route earlier and was on its last run to Witton. I may be totally wrong, but it is a great photograph.

Tram 692 at Witton Lane - the tram depot is to the right.jpg

OuterCircleBus, the 3X tram was replaced by the 39 bus (see attached painting), the 78 Short Heath tram was replaced by the 65 bus (which I used to use when I lived of Slade Road, as you say the 64 bus replaced the Erdington No. 2 tram, I forgot which bus replaced the No. 79 Pype Hayes tram. Eric

Attachments

• Aston Cross 1951 painting.jpg
    Aston Cross 1951 painting.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 19
Bush Baby, No, trams were never on Park Lane, only the No. 8 inner circle 'bus route which crossed Aston Cross and continued down Rocky Lane towards Nechells. Eric
i have some film of the trams going from miller st to erdington shortheath and an orioginal model built by the driver of the LAST TRAM 64

I don't remember trams in Park Lane and old maps don't show tram tracks. There were certainly trams in Park Road as shown below in the Electric Trams thread ... :)
Tram 631 on Park Road Aston. The 3X route closed in 1949 and buildings in this pic were demolished to make way for the Aston Expressway. Note ... I added colour to this image
index.php

OuterCircleBus, the 3X tram was replaced by the 39 bus (see attached painting), the 78 Short Heath tram was replaced by the 65 bus (which I used to use when I lived of Slade Road, as you say the 64 bus replaced the Erdington No. 2 tram, I forgot which bus replaced the No. 79 Pype Hayes tram. Eric
The service no, 66 bus route replaced the 79 tram route. The was another, 67 route, which went to Castle Vale - introduced in 1967.

This is heart wrenching to watch...so many memories and now trams have made a come back, seems so pointless.
Dave A

i agree it is sad but also very vital to have ...without footage like this the history of our trams is lost forever...enjoyed watching it and i even managed to spot a few locations as the tram was going on its journey....the model of no 616 is splendid...

ashamed to say i dont know so could anyone confirm where the last tram is now...surely it was preserved

lyn

Tramcar 395 is preserved and located at the Think Tank. It was forerly kept ai the Science Museum in Newhall Strret.

I don't remember trams in Park Lane and old maps don't show tram tracks. There were certainly trams in Park Road as shown below in the Electric Trams thread ... :)
A map of old(1940) Brum tram routes.

Attachments

• Screenshot (421).png
    Screenshot (421).png
    140 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (422).png
    Screenshot (422).png
    86.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Trams from Witton Garage used this route to service No 5 Lozells to Gravelly Hill route they would travel up hill and turn in to Victoria Rd at the top of the hill. Conductor and Motorman would stop traffic and change tracks to allow the tram to continue either to return to Witton Garage or come into service no. 5.

When did trams stop running on the Bristol Road ? I think (?) I remember seeing them in the middle of the road, but that could be a false memory, maybe I only saw the tracks before they were ripped up / buried. Thanks
Andrew.

When did trams stop running on the Bristol Road ? I think (?) I remember seeing them in the middle of the road, but that could be a false memory, maybe I only saw the tracks before they were ripped up / buried. Thanks
Andrew.
The last Bristtol Road trams ran June 1952.

395 was the only BCT tram preserved, the rest were scrapped by Birds at Stratford, in The late David Harvey's book on the scrapping of Birmingham buses, there are pictures of scrapped trams. Remember the last tram ran in 1953 just 8 years after the end of the war and the times were still quite austere and the preservation bug had not really bitten. It did, not very long after, but by then a lot that should have been preserved had been destroyed. One of the problems preserving anything from Bct was where could it be run, by whom and how? it would have needed a dedicated track, overhead wires etc and Black Country Museum, which can now supply these was not yet conceived. No trolley buses were preserved either, two were converted to diesel buses
Bob

Thanks for that. I would have been almost 2, so I will go for false memory. Possibly saw a photo in later years and it ended up in the wrong brain slot.
Andrew.

The last Bristtol Road trams ran June 1952.

395 was the only BCT tram preserved, the rest were scrapped by Birds at Stratford, in The late David Harvey's book on the scrapping of Birmingham buses, there are pictures of scrapped trams. Remember the last tram ran in 1953 just 8 years after the end of the war and the times were still quite austere and the preservation bug had not really bitten. It did, not very long after, but by then a lot that should have been preserved had been destroyed. One of the problems preserving anything from Bct was where could it be run, by whom and how? it would have needed a dedicated track, overhead wires etc and Black Country Museum, which can now supply these was not yet conceived. No trolley buses were preserved either, two were converted to diesel buses
Bob
There is also a second Birmingham tramcar in preservation - car 107 is at the Aldridge Transport Museum, although it is a long term restoration project - details on their website:-
1643095868587.png

Back