• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old tram routes in birmingham

I've found these few photos of trams on Stratford Rd, I have a few others including steam trams if you are interested.

Attachments

• 1 Sparkbrook By Kyotts Lake Rd On Stratford Rd.jpg
    1 Sparkbrook By Kyotts Lake Rd On Stratford Rd.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd - Highgate Rd.JPG
    2 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd - Highgate Rd.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 3 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Nr Kyotts Lake Rd.jpg
    3 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Nr Kyotts Lake Rd.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 4 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd.jpg
    4 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 5 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd (2).jpg
    5 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd (2).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57
caggyken

Here you are then. 3 steam trams on Stratford Rd, all in the Sparkbrook, Sparkhill area.

Attachments

• 6 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Steam train.jpg
    6 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Steam train.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 7 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Steam TramNr Farm Rd.jpg
    7 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Steam TramNr Farm Rd.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 8 Sparkhill Court Rd - Stratford Rd Steam Tram.JPG
    8 Sparkhill Court Rd - Stratford Rd Steam Tram.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 41
morris, there was NO tram route down Rocky Lane, I worked at Hercules Cycles Rocky Lane in 1944 (my 1st job on leaving school). There were 3 routes along Lichfield Rd Aston Cross. the No. 2, 78 and 79 ( Erdington, Short Heath and Pype Hayes) plus the 3X from Witton which came down Park Rd, all passing top of Rocky Lane on way to City centre. I lived in Queens Rd and if weather was bad would catch the 3X otherwise I would walk. Eric
can any one tell me please if trams ran from nechell green down rocky lane to aston cross its on the number 8 route. I always thought my granddad died on tram in rocky lane,but someone said it could not be a tram because they never run down there only buses.my granddad john bullock died 6 jan 1943. Has anyone any ideas as to find out if it was in local papers.
Many thanks reg morris
G'day, Cookie, Have you any info of this Tram/Bus? I came across it browsing old pics, looks like Stockland green to Short Heath
We have in Adelaide one simular it's called The O'Bahn but it runs on a guided track system most of the way once out of the city.
Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_0337.PNG
    IMG_0337.PNG
    365.8 KB · Views: 25
G'day, Cookie, Have you any info of this Tram/Bus? I came across it browsing old pics, looks like Stockland green to Short Heath
We have in Adelaide one simular it's called The O'Bahn but it runs on a guided track system most of the way once out of the city.
Thanks..

This was, as far as I recall, a guided busway, located on the former tramway trackbed. It was not a success.
I never saw this experiment and I am sure others on this Forum will have more details; the dates and time scale of the experiment. I believe, but cannot recall in which other city, a similar trial was made.

This was, as far as I recall, a guided busway, located on the former tramway trackbed. It was not a success.
I never saw this experiment and I am sure others on this Forum will have more details; the dates and time scale of the experiment. I believe, but cannot recall in which other city, a similar trial was made.
Tracline 65 was the experimental guided bus system that was laid in 1984 to take buses on a concrete track of about 600 metres from Stockland Green along Streetly Road to Short Heath. This was the first of these systems in the UK and was used to test how ell the system worked.
A new fleet of specially adapted buses were provided for the service. They had special guide wheels fitted ahead of the front wheels to guide the bus along the track. Although trams once used the central reservation where Tracline ran they had stopped running there over forty years previously. When the concrete Tracline track was laid it is said that many mature trees were destroyed.
When the contracts to put out to run the service were put out to tender, the company that won the right to run the weekend service refused to run modified buses, so the guided busway was dismantled just three years after it started.
There have been a number of guided busways opened in the UK, the best known probably being the one in Cambridge, which was thirty-one million pounds over budget and almost two & a half years late opening.

8106 - Tracline 1985.jpgTracline - Streetly Road, Perry Common, 1986.jpgTracline 65 - Short Heath 1986 02.jpg

There is an interesting and dedicated thread for Tracline of 26 posts.

HI MORRIS
Cookie is correct there was no trams down rocky lane as i can vouch for it as i lived along the lichfield road
just a hundred or two yards from Aston cross plus the fact i was always on the aston cross because my grand parents had all there shops
around the every corner of the aston cross [ coffee shopps and fish /chips shops and along the aston north just by the cross
and also down rocky lane
and my grand father when he was young was a tram conductor whom lived in parliment street and worked at the miller street depot
and i recall the last trams and the changing to trolly bus,s in that period best wishes Astonian
Hi there Astonian.. can you please help me with this question that I'm asking and this is it..... did trams go along PARK LANE.. .. that's my question.. I lived in Aston a long time and even looking back at old pics of park lane I ca not see any tram lines at all... I'm sure a tram come down park road to Lichfield rd which then went onto town.. I ask because I know you have such superior knowledge of Aston.. I await your reply.. I'm on Facebook Margaret Harris if you can not get back to me on this site.. but I await your reply..many thanks..

Bushbaby
Astonian is marked as "Gone but not forgotten", which means that, unfortunately , he is deceased.

Bush Baby, No, trams were never on Park Lane, only the No. 8 inner circle 'bus route which crossed Aston Cross and continued down Rocky Lane towards Nechells. Eric

Hi there Astonian.. can you please help me with this question that I'm asking and this is it..... did trams go along PARK LANE.. .. that's my question.. I lived in Aston a long time and even looking back at old pics of park lane I ca not see any tram lines at all... I'm sure a tram come down park road to Lichfield rd which then went onto town.. I ask because I know you have such superior knowledge of Aston.. I await your reply.. I'm on Facebook Margaret Harris if you can not get back to me on this site.. but I await your reply..many thanks..
I don't believe that there were ever trams on Park Lane.
Dave A

I don't believe that there were ever trams on Park Lane.
Dave A
Dave A ..many thanks Dave..sometimes people just don't want to be corrected.. and I feel that regardless they should be if you are only correcting them..as other people would be inclined to believe them that trams ran down Park Lane IF they did not have any knowledge of the area.. . But thanks for that Dave.. stay safe and alert..oh and thanks again..

Bushbaby, the Tram that came down Park Road was the 3X Witton to Martineau Street via Aston Cross, later (about 1950) replaced by the 39 bus. I used to catch both to work in the 40s/50s. Eric

A tram on Park Road
Tram 631 on Park Road Aston. The 3X route closed in 1949 and buildings in this pic were demolished to make way for the Aston Expressway.
index.php

Its just passing the Sycamore pub, one of my locals. There was a tram stop in front of the pub (hidden by the tram) were I used to catch the 3X, later the 39 bus. Aston church bottom of hill where my Mom and Dad were married mid 20's. On the right would have been Aston Park. Eric

Bushbaby, the Tram that came down Park Road was the 3X Witton to Martineau Street via Aston Cross, later (about 1950) replaced by the 39 bus. I used to catch both to work in the 40s/50s. Eric
The 3X trams stopped running on the 31st of December 1949. This photograph shows tram 692 outside the Aston Hotel at Witton opposite the tram depot. This was probably on or around the last day of service on the no 3X route. The chalked bus route number (64) was to let passengers know what the replacement bus service was. However the 64 replaced the no 2 route and I suspect that 692 had been working the no 2 route earlier and was on its last run to Witton. I may be totally wrong, but it is a great photograph.

Tram 692 at Witton Lane - the tram depot is to the right.jpg

OuterCircleBus, the 3X tram was replaced by the 39 bus (see attached painting), the 78 Short Heath tram was replaced by the 65 bus (which I used to use when I lived of Slade Road, as you say the 64 bus replaced the Erdington No. 2 tram, I forgot which bus replaced the No. 79 Pype Hayes tram. Eric

Attachments

• Aston Cross 1951 painting.jpg
    Aston Cross 1951 painting.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 19
Bush Baby, No, trams were never on Park Lane, only the No. 8 inner circle 'bus route which crossed Aston Cross and continued down Rocky Lane towards Nechells. Eric
i have some film of the trams going from miller st to erdington shortheath and an orioginal model built by the driver of the LAST TRAM 64

Back