• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old time cures

K

Kandor

I've just been reading a post called 'grandma knows best'
Did they really?
Whilst appreciating the old timers used to base a lot of cures on tried and trusted methods..why did they put butter on burns?
I can't think of many other such terribly wrong cures, but there must be loads.

Old remedies

Interestingly.......a lot of the old remedies are returning

Honey and maggots are becoming very popular treatments in wound care.

Manuka bees.......are providing honey that is showing promising effects againts the MRSA (superbug) infection.

Maggots are a very thriving healthcare therapy, and extremely effective.

Iodine is another popular 're invention'........so maybe we can turn back the clocks and search out some things that may be useful to our health needs in the future. :shock:

A strange fact is.......in the UK, and many other countries......conventional medicine is the primary medicine.........whereas in china.......chinese and herbal/holistic medicine can be the primary medicine.........makes you wonder.............who does know best........maybe we need to be a little ecclectic in our healthcare approaches

Leech's

Leech's also Les, many old cures are being looked at again, we have after all survived for thousands of years on hand me down medicine. Many folk were unable to pay for doctors, or medical bills, so it was down to Granny to fix the family!!

This subject interests me as I have an old friend from school days who suffers from psoraris and it badly affected the soles of her feet, she consulted doctors, hospitals, paid privately for treatment, it just would not clear up and she ended up in a wheelchair because she couldn't put her feet to the ground, then she saw another doctor who prescribed an old remedy pomanganate of potash, this potion is like crystals that turn purple in hot water, and guess what the improvement was so great that she has been up and about and nearly back to normal after 4 years of suffering.

Ulcers

Sylvia, my dad had a badly ulcerated leg which caused him great discomfort. He used pomanganate of potash to relieve some of this irritation.

Potassium Pomanganate

Yes Sylvia....I forgot about Pot Permang.....very true.......another 'old' remedy that has made a comeback........and its the most beautiful violet colour when made into a solution.........needs to be carefully diluted though

MRSA

An article I read today suggests the cure for MRSA may be Garlic or Chemicals contained within? Apparently they have had success using extracts to treat this awful bug? I remember reading that Garlic was a favourite medicine used in the Crimean War, it was administered to patients who had stomach wounds!!

AN INGREDIENT in garlic could offer one of the best defences against hospital superbugs, new research has shown.

The compound is said to be effective even against highly resistant strains of the MRSA bug, which has claimed many lives.

Dr Ron Cutler, the microbiologist who carried out the research, said it can cure patients with MRSA-infected wounds "within days".

Back