• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Tastes.

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
I went to Lichfield last Sunday (big day out for me) and bought some acid drops in a traditional sweet shop... yummy! Just as I remembered them.

They were in contrast to the periwinkles I had from B'ham fish market a few months ago. After maybe 50 years, they were a real diappointment.

What did we ever see in them as kids? The only thing I can think is my sisters used to like sticking those little black cap thingies off the openings on their faces as "beauty spots". :shock:

Paul if your ever in Tamworth, we have a traditional sweetshop, complete with jars of all your favourite sweets.

Ive often thought about buying some winkles, and having a feast, and now you have made me wonder if I should, did they taste different, the ones you had, or have you changed? The last time I had them, we found them ourselves on a beach near to Withernsea I think, in Yorkshire? it was years ago. Our mom boiled em up and we sat and made right pigs of ourselves........ Incidently, my late brother caught a fish and took it back to the caravan, he bragged all day that he would eat this monster size fish for his tea. He didnt get the chance, the local Moggie stole his prize.

Back