• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Sutton Parade Shops

The Baron

master brummie
Thornton's Sutton around 1950 My sister in law Barbara Hampton ( Nee Benton )
any one know were about's this shop was on the Parade ( no one left to ask any more ) So sad only wished I had ask before all family had left us .

Attachments

• Barbra Hampton Thorntons cabin Sutton Coldfield c1950.jpg
    Barbra Hampton Thorntons cabin Sutton Coldfield c1950.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 49
I asked my 87 year old Mother. She said she thinks Thornton's Cabin was next to Bata shoe shop which was next to Woolworths. She also said there was another chocolate shop before that in the same premises. They didn't go there much because in 1950 as there was still sweet rationing, so she didn't know any of the shop assistants.

I asked my 87 year old Mother. She said she thinks Thornton's Cabin was next to Bata shoe shop which was next to Woolworths. She also said there was another chocolate shop before that in the same premises. They didn't go there much because in 1950 as there was still sweet rationing, so she didn't know any of the shop assistants.
Thank you & your mom for the Info ;0))

Hi
Yes Thorntons Shop was next Woolworths the frontage lay back I think it was originally called the Chocolate Box.

In the picture it's behind the Midland Red Bus on the left

Attachments

• Scan_20170304 (2).jpg
    Scan_20170304 (2).jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 69
Does anyone remember Gills toy shop? I worked there as a Saturday girl 1966 and 1967. I met my best friend there and we have some very happy memories of the staff selling everything from World Cup Willies to newspapers and stationery. We used to go over to Frosts to spend our earnings on make-up or records, after listening to them in the booths.

Does anyone remember Gills toy shop? I worked there as a Saturday girl 1966 and 1967. I met my best friend there and we have some very happy memories of the staff selling everything from World Cup Willies to newspapers and stationery. We used to go over to Frosts to spend our earnings on make-up or records, after listening to them in the booths.
Yes, I remember my dad taking me on a Saturday morning to spend my pocket money - often on model animals for my toy farm I seem to remember.
A few years later, I went to Frosts with my friends to listen to records in the booths around the same time as you - good times. My Saturday job was at a cake shop close to Roses the fruit and veg shop, next to the 103 bus stop.

I remember Gills the toy shop we used to take our 2 little boys there in the early 60s. When toys were only bought on Birthdays and Christmas. When I met my husband in the 50s who lived in Sutton we used to go to the Snackerie on Sunday afternoons as there was no where else to go . Downstairs in Pattersons for afternoon tea in the 60s with my two little boys.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Thornton's Sutton around 1950 My sister in law Barbara Hampton ( Nee Benton )
any one know were about's this shop was on the Parade ( no one left to ask any more ) So sad only wished I had ask before all family had left us .
This is my Nanny!!! I dont know what made me Google her name but this thread came up. By a process of illumination that means I'm replying to Uncle Keith? Am I correct?

This is my Nanny!!! I dont know what made me Google her name but this thread came up. By a process of illumination that means I'm replying to Uncle Keith? Am I correct?
Hi Thornton’s was next to Woolworths which was the old cinema, I think I’ve got picture I’ll see Ican find it and post it. Woolworths later was taken over by MEB shop then the markettookover

From another thread ...
Sutton Parade late 1960s and a zebra crossing in need of a repaint but nice and handy for that Woolworths store.
index.php

Last edited:
Regarding Sutton Parade Shops

My family owned H G Turner Ltd Corn and Seed Merchants and my Grandfather had about 12 shops in Birmingham one of which was on Sutton Parade, other shops in Small Heath, Hay Mills, Stechford, Sparkhill, Two in Shirley, Olton, Sheldon, Jamaica Row, Digbeth.
The Sutton shop closed when the shopping centre was developed.

Back