• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had gammon and fried cabbage and onion with a mustard sauce. Think this was once an old-style favourite. Remember gammon’s returning popularity in the 1960s/70s topped with pineapple ? Then I think it dropped out of favour again. Probably too salty for the health conscious. Viv.
Question : do you blanch the cabbage first ?

Yes Chris, a quick blanch otherwise it goes soggy. The cabbage I Iike is the cone shaped one - don’t know the name. And has to be butchers gammon. Our butcher slices it for us. Beautifully tender. Sometimes we quick fry the gammon, chop it up and mix the gammon and cabbage altogether. Hope you enjoy it ! Viv.

Yes Chris, a quick blanch otherwise it goes soggy. The cabbage I Iike is the cone shaped one - don’t know the name. And has to be butchers gammon. Our butcher slices it for us. Beautifully tender. Sometimes we quick fry the gammon, chop it up and mix the gammon and cabbage altogether. Hope you enjoy it ! Viv.
At Christmas I fried the sprouts with lardons and chestnuts but forgot to blanch the sprouts first, the chestnuts and lardons were edible !

I still love cottage pie. But thinking back I’m sure we used to get it served up with baked beans at school. Wouldn’t have that now, only fresh vegetables will do for me. Viv.

A new twist on an old theme; I like the baked beans that have mixed beans, they seem less sweet and a little more interesting, Still love chips and beans, beans with a full English, and beans on toast. Also love spaghetti hoops on toast. Easier to handle and less messy than the long spaghetti version. Also used to like the tinned Heinz macaroni cheese on toast, but now it tastes too ‘fake’ to me. Viv.

A new twist on an old theme; I like the baked beans that have mixed beans, they seem less sweet and a little more interesting, Still love chips and beans, beans with a full English, and beans on toast. Also love spaghetti hoops on toast. Easier to handle and less messy than the long spaghetti version. Also used to like the tinned Heinz macaroni cheese on toast, but now it tastes too ‘fake’ to me. Viv.
Crisps on white bread with butter! Squish them down a little. Delicious!!

Crisps on white bread with butter! Squish them down a little.

Spaghetti hoops on pikelet's topped of with a fried egg.:yum:yum

NoddKD. Still not a gourmet.
Also hasn't the foggiest what's going on with this post.

Last edited:
Cheese Ham Fried Egg on Toast (cheesy hammy eggy) Jum And the wife likes Weetabix not with milk on it but a cup of Tea instead

I really prefer to see them hopping about, but they certainly eat them here and rabbit is available in a few restaurants (when they're open again!). When it's getting close to dusk, mainly in the summer, you sometimes see two or three guys out on the headland north of us with shotguns, and less occasionally on the outskirts of the village you will hear shot guns. When I lived in Dorset, there was one particular field near Studland that used to get a couple of dozen of them hopping about as the sun was going down.

Maurice :cool:

We used to have rabbit stew when I was young, I remember it tasting like chicken. We’ve got rabbits in the field behind us, only a few because one year the owner decided there were too many and got someone out to shoot them all... made me ill for weeks to see it...anyway a few are about and no way are they going in my stewing pot!!!

When were in Spain rabbits were sold in the local supermarket. My wife used to cook them slowly in cider. Very tender and as Imr3103 says it tasted very similar to chicken. Used to enjoy it but don't eat it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back