• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. i think i will cut down on crips. sarnies now i have read what goes in them to give them the taste:(

Tonight we should celebrate " Rabbie" Burns , with Haggis and Whisky.
Haggis with Neeps and Tatties, plus buttered leeks, followed by Cranachan, don't forget the whisky sauce.
" Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the the puddin-race.
Aboon them a'yye tak ya place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye worthy o'a grace
As lang's my arm."
etc.
Or just drink the Whisky.

Tonight we should celebrate " Rabbie" Burns , with Haggis and Whisky.
Haggis with Neeps and Tatties, plus buttered leeks, followed by Cranachan, don't forget the whisky sauce.
" Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the the puddin-race.
Aboon them a'yye tak ya place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye worthy o'a grace
As lang's my arm."
etc.
Or just drink the Whisky.
Just drink the Whiskey, everything tastes better :cool:

Love haggis, neeps and tatties (and lots of gravy). We have haggis any time of the year, not just on Burns Night. Apparently more people are eating it again, which I can well believe as you can quite easily get it in the shops now. Not found a local butcher who does it though, too far south I suppose ! Viv.

I reckon this lot had had a few wee drams before the haggis hit the plates ! Extract from British Newspaper Archives.

7690D215-0F30-4B0E-AAB6-F9F7D63F7DDA.jpeg

Just been reading through part of the thread so don't know if it's been mentioned - brains on toast. Very much like soft roe. Our doctor advised my mother to have it regularly for some illness she had so of course we all had it. Wife is from Yorkshire so we still have corned beef hash. Mother in law always had tripe and onions for Saturday tea time so got used to it. If we go up to Scotland on holiday always have at least one Haggis meal

Just been reading through part of the thread so don't know if it's been mentioned - brains on toast. Very much like soft roe. Our doctor advised my mother to have it regularly for some illness she had so of course we all had it. Wife is from Yorkshire so we still have corned beef hash. Mother in law always had tripe and onions for Saturday tea time so got used to it. If we go up to Scotland on holiday always have at least one Haggis meal
yuk brains on toast. i think that comes under disgusting food.1611672647571.png

Johnny, great selection of comfort foods I would say!

My Dad used to have brains on toast at least once a week. I can't remember how Mom cooked the brains but my main memory of them was Dad smothering them in pepper. I tried some of them as a lad but it was the texture of them in my mouth that put me off not the taste. As an adult I would probably give them another go now but I'm not sure that you can still buy them.

Here in Greece offal is frowned upon. The only organ that ever appears on menus is liver and onions, not dissimilar to the UK, so my other half tells me as she likes a lot of that sort of stuff. So if you buy a chicken or a turkey, it rarely has the liver & kidneys left in it. One of the large Greek supermarkets sometimes sells the small trays of chicken livers.

Also, when it comes to food and drink, there is little difference between retailers and wholesalers/distributers apart from price. Anyone can go to a drinks wholesaler and buy box of 6 beers and they will sell them to you at wholesale price.. Some will even sell you one bottle of wine - your money is as good as anyone else's, though you won't always get a receipt as neither buyer or seller pays the tax and as far as the taxman is concerned, the sale doesn't exist! :)

Wholesale butchers, because there is little market for offal, will give you a load of liver (generally pigs;) and kidneys for free provided you let them know the day before. I've no idea what happens to the rest of it locally as there is no pet food canning company in this area and probably not one on Crete. As far as I am aware the pet shops only sell canned or dry food, the same as supermarkets. We will soon be in Lent, when most Greeks won't eat meat, only fish, squid or octopus, though non-believers can still buy meat and most restaurants will still serve it in non-pandemic times. I like the salt dried hake that they have at this time of the year, but which is difficult to find in a restaurant at times other than Lent, though you can always get it in Greek supermarkets (as opposed to Lidl). However, it is not filleted, so you have to be prepared to cope with the bones! :)

Maurice :cool:

Maurice.
Interesting. From talking years ago to friend who had a Greek boyfriend, I had thought eyes were a delicacy in Greece

Travelled around Greece in the 1970s and I think I came across goat eyeballs on the menu somewhere. Viv.

Mike,

I've never seen anyone eating eyes here or even pig's trotters, though quite a few of them eat snails. If I wanted to chew rubber I've got one here on my desk. :)

Pete, I notice that young lady hasn't put any of that exotic food in her mouth yet - we have a before picture, where is the after one? :)

Pete, I notice that young lady hasn't put any of that exotic food in her mouth yet - we have a before picture, where is the after one? :)

our Maurice
Years ago we had a apprentice who stripped the cars ready for the work to be done, one day we got some sheeps eyes complete from a butchers, and put them under the seat. after a while the shouting started,he had found them.and thought they was human. ......Sorry that man:D:grinning:

When I was at school, we cut up a heart in biology. Really put me off eating heart. But when I lived in digs as a student, the landlady served them stuffed. Not wanting to offend her I ate one. Well I was surprised, I didn’t actually hate it as much as I expected. But I also didn’t love it so much to eat them today. Viv.

When I was at school, we cut up a heart in biology. Really put me off eating heart. But when I lived in digs as a student, the landlady served them stuffed. Not wanting to offend her I ate one. Well I was surprised, I didn’t actually hate it as much as I expected. But I also didn’t love it so much to eat them today. Viv.
i remember chomping a pie at my grans, later finding it was a steak and heart pie. never seen one sinse.. thank goodness:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back