• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone like an egg in a curry, specifically the Vesta ones ? Don’t do it now, but I’m sure I’d still like it. After all, you have egg in kedgeree - love this and still have a homemade one from time to time. Viv.
I remember having an egg with my first Biriyani at an Indian Restaurant just off the the top of New Street, can't remember the name, which surprised me. Always have an egg with corned beef hash though.

Remember in the 60s you could get chips and curry sauce ? Then it went out of fashion. In more recent years Wagamamma and Yo Sushi started doing Katsu curry dishes. Now to me that tastes just like the old curry sauce we had with chips. Or am I imagining it. I love it too - and sorry folks, yes with CHIPS! Viv.

Viv we still have the good old curry sauce with the chips .

Was corned beef hash basically a tin of corned beef and potatoes?

mort i very often make a corned beef and potato pie... add a tin of diced up corned beef and mix that into the mash...put it all into a pie dish and cover it with strips of cheese..into the oven to melt the cheese...dish it out with a side of brocolli and gravy...yummy and very tasty..oh if you want onion in it just dice one up and boil it with the spuds

lyn

mort i very often make a corned beef and potato pie... add a tin of diced up corned beef and mix that into the mash...put it all into a pie dish and cover it with strips of cheese..into the oven to melt the cheese...dish it out with a side of brocolli and gravy...yummy and very tasty..oh if you want onion in it just dice one up and boil it with the spuds

lyn

Pete, thats sounds lovely. Corned beef looks not so good but is quite tasty. I do like just plain simple food.

Fish finger sandwich. Fish fingers - the Birds Eye type - are still around. There’s also a giant Birds Eye one. You can get large, fresh fish fingers from Waitrose if you want a slightly upmarket version. Fish fingers seem to have morphed into ‘goujons’ in some places. More recently we’ve been buying local fish fingers which are more like goujons. Add salad, mayonnaise and capers, nice little lunchtime meal. Viv.

Last edited:
Fish finger sandwiches - used to love those when the kids were young. Still have them here about once ever two or three weeks with vegetable and chopped tomatoes, but I love fish. Wish we could get halibut here, just once in a while, done in butter - yummy - but it's not a native of the Med and no one imports it.

Maurice :cool:

Unfortunately, Viv, the small makes you want to eat them even more. And thinking about that has now made me hungry, so it will have to be crisps............................:yum

Maurice :cool:

I love those doughnuts the ones they cook fresh at the fairgrounds, the smell is amazing, my favorite night time snack is cheese on toast covered in coleslaw... Yum

Ly

lyn
Lyn, my husband loves that, he calls it cornbeef hash as thats what his mum called it. I dont think its a typical corned beef hash.

Wendy

Ly

Lyn, my husband loves that, he calls it cornbeef hash as thats what his mum called it. I dont think its a typical corned beef hash.

Wendy
We call it corned beef hash as well. Up here in the North East they have a variation called a corned beef pie in which layers of corned beef, sliced cooked onion and sliced cooked potato are baked in a pastry case. My daughter in law is a dab hand at this.!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back