• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh yes - liver and mash with onion gravy. The thought is making my mouth water.
Also oxtail - not the tinned soup but proper oxtail slow cooked until it falls off the bones.
Dare I add - lamb's hearts stuffed and braised.

love it jan...home made mash spring cabbage liver onions and gravy is my favourite although i like all veg

lyn

Calves liver for me - melt in the mouth. Don’t think when we had it in the past we knew which type of liver it was. Pigs I suppose. Never buy pigs, too tough.

I guess dishes such as tripe or stuffed heart will fade out. They’ll become a dish of the past like some medieval foods: pottage etc. At least we no longer eat dormouse kebabs like the Romans.

Viv.

Another good dish, hock of ham. Like the ham in home made pea soup. There was a time when I really couldn’t stomach pea soup. That was all down to a childminder I had (at age 3 - 4 years) who forced us to eat every scrap of food whether we liked it or not. Her pea soup literally made me heave. So it took me a long time to recover from this trauma. The strange thing is, 20 years later, I went on a ferry to Harwich in winter and the only warm food on offer was pea soup. Well it was the most delicious soup. Never looked back since. And now a firm favourite in my home made soup repertoire.

Viv.

My father use to eat sliced white bread and he used to dip them in cold cooked rhubarb.He really loved it until the doctor told him to stop eating it because rhubarb was bad for his gout he had in his feet.My mother always liked cooking rhubarb cus she said it made her aluminium saucepans really shine.Now I always think if it could do that to saucepans God knows what it does to our stomachs ?.

Haven’t had rhubarb for a long time. But I remember it making your teeth feel rough. Must have been the acid in the rhubarb. Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back