• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would kill for one of their Pork Pies! I worked in a butchers shop after school but Bywaters PP and sausages were the BEST :)

Sorry to disagree Richarddye our village butcher makes his own pork pies and won awards for the pies and also his black pudding . One of the countries his BP came first was Germany , which knocked their blutwirst into a cocked hat

Sorry to disagree Richarddye our village butcher makes his own pork pies and won awards for the pies and also his black pudding . One of the countries his BP came first was Germany , which knocked their blutwirst into a cocked hat
Always looking to do better, who is your village butcher?

Warm pork pies ......mmmmmmmm
Viv

Viv it's funny you've mentioned that , 1969/71 when I worked at a firm on Upper Gough St . We used to call into The Gough Arms after the days toil . My mate used to have a pasty which the gaffer used to thrown a cold one into some sort of heater , I asked for a pork pie , which accidently ended up in the heater . Strangely enough it tasted ok , so I ordered another the test was over after the second one both tasted very nice , I haven't had another one since though .

Viv it's funny you've mentioned that , 1969/71 when I worked at a firm on Upper Gough St . We used to call into The Gough Arms after the days toil . My mate used to have a pasty which the gaffer used to thrown a cold one into some sort of heater , I asked for a pork pie , which accidently ended up in the heater . Strangely enough it tasted ok , so I ordered another the test was over after the second one both tasted very nice , I haven't had another one since though .
Hot pork pies are quite common in some shops in Yorkshire, especially if kept hot fresh from the oven . I once, in Otley, said "I dont need them hot", to which he looked at me rather strangely and replied "They re all hot" . They were delicious, though likely are not the same recipe as ones further south

Hot pork pies are quite common in some shops in Yorkshire, especially if kept hot fresh from the oven . I once, in Otley, said "I dont need them hot", to which he looked at me rather strangely and replied "They re all hot" . They were delicious, though likely are not the same recipe as ones further south
dont the jelly melt. i have never eat a hot pp.

Yes Mike that’s how I came to discover the hot pork pie. My mum (from York’s) was always in the market for a hot pie. Even when she was in a care home (and on a controlled diet) her brothers would sneak in a hot pork pie from the local butchers shop. Tut, tut, tut ...... her one guilty pleasure. Viv.

Yes Pete the jelly is molten and drips a bit if you are not careful. But remember the jelly is molten when the pie is made. I only wish I was in Otley now - hot pork pie and proper nice fish and chips. To hell with turkey.

Too true Mike. Chips cooked in beef dripping too. When I was young and often stayed with my Nan in Yorkshire, one of the best memories of all was the smell of beef dripping on the air (except on Mondays - difficult to get fresh fish). Viv.

Yes Pete the jelly is molten and drips a bit if you are not careful. But remember the jelly is molten when the pie is made. I only wish I was in Otley now - hot pork pie and proper nice fish and chips. To hell with turkey.
here here proper chips in dripping i dont use oil and a some large pickle onions.:yum:yum
:yum
its no good i have got to go and have a chomp.typing about it as made me hungry:grinning::grinning:

Too true Mike. Chips cooked in beef dripping too. When I was young and often stayed with my Nan in Yorkshire, one of the best memories of all was the smell of beef dripping on the air (except on Mondays - difficult to get fresh fish). Viv.
There was a restaurant near where we used to live in the US. They served two three things, steak, lobster and chip (French fries) cook in the beef dripping. all i wanted was the chips, they were SO good! Extra crispy.

Talking of pies, in Glasgow the classic pie there is the mutton pie. Served with a topping of Baked beans and chips it’s a super meal.

Oh my. I do feel sorry for you and if we wasn't in Tier 1 I would suggest you all come over into Herefordshire where we have the best pork pies, sausages, bacon and fish and chips, and hot beef rolls, you don't know what you are missing, sorry !

Not fair Chris ...... just not fair...... sob, sob.

Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back