• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Lichfield Road at Salford Bridge looking north to Salford Park on March 14 1968............click for larger view.

View attachment 154707
The interest is nearest the right hand side, a 1959 Mk1 Austin Healey Sprite “Frogeye” with a red wheel masks a Ford Consul Classic 315, about 1961/2, and then there is a 1965 Cortina Mk1, which is the unusual two door version. The rather bilious green colour is on a 1956/59 Standard Vanguard Phase 3, and finally a rather down at heel looking Ford Consul Mk2, an early “high-line” version. The lorry with the white mouth is a Commer, but not necessarily one fitted with the braying Tilling-Stevens designed two-stroke engine.

Last edited:
I have also put some stuff in at message #5920.
You are so knowledgeable about cars and vans John. My dad always had a nice car. A pale green Corsair in the late sixties, (the owner before dad was one of the Fewtrell brothers I seem to remember), a brown Capri, the family thought he had gone very trendy and a bright yellow Cortina in the eighties. That’s all I could tell you about them. Wonder if Maurice could tell me the proper colour of the bright yellow Cortina. It certainly wasn’t primrose. Kind regards and thank you for all the info you give to us all. Sue

You are so knowledgeable about cars and vans John. My dad always had a nice car. A pale green Corsair in the late sixties, (the owner before dad was one of the Fewtrell brothers I seem to remember), a brown Capri, the family thought he had gone very trendy and a bright yellow Cortina in the eighties. That’s all I could tell you about them. Wonder if Maurice could tell me the proper colour of the bright yellow Cortina. It certainly wasn’t primrose. Kind regards and thank you for all the info you give to us all. Sue
Daytona Yellow? I had two Capris, a ‘69 in red, and a ‘74 in Daytona Yellow, for which I paid all of £70!

Last edited:
The back of the photo says High Street / Winchester Street Aston 1969 but as we can all see it says Webster Street, but the local will know!!
Jack Wolfe Turf accountant - sound so old fashioned these days all blanked out windows and pictures of jockeys. Next door are the offices of Z cars with one of their cars parked outside. See the three storey houses and the brickwork over the windows upstairs.

View attachment 155784
Used to be Foster Bros. corner of High Street and Webster Street

Attachments

• jack-woolf.jpg
    jack-woolf.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 57
Erdington High Street in 1961

View attachment 156041
Austin A30 van, Thames (i.e. Ford) 10 cwt van, SOV is Austin A 30 car, Austin A40 Somerset, Ford Popular, FYX is Austin 16, 1946-49, Singer Sewing Machine van is Ford 100E, behind the Ford Pop is a forties Jaguar drop head coupé, a Minor 1000 saloon and traveller opposite, and the diagonal van is an Austin A50.

Last edited:
Perry Barr........Birchfield Rd 1960.......

View attachment 156043
From the left front, Austin or Morris 15cwt van with a roller shutter back door. Thames 10/12cwt van, the black Austin saloon might be an A55 Cambridge or the bigger A95 Westminster. On the right, a BMC LD 30cwt van, a truck that I can’t do, a Thames ET6, and a Big Bedford truck, everything else is a bit too small or blurred.

index.php

I loved the old trams and the Gaumont was my favorite cinema - I used to go there almost every Sunday evening in the mid 1950's - happy memories...:encouragement:
I remember my mum taking me to the Gaumont Cinema to see "The Sound of Music". must have seen it a few thousand times over the years.

Back