• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

I walk my dog up this road every day. Visit Brookvale Park and Witton Lakes. Where the shop is it is houses, also a post office got no dates. The other side of the phone box is the entrance to the allotments. The post box is gone. In front the no 11 bus there is a pedestrian crossing. Across the road where the Hare & Hounds was is now nursing home now called Abbey Rose.
I`ve walked that road many times. Had a few pints in the Hare & Hounds & across the road was Holdens post office, where as a sixteen year old wages clerk i had to walk up that hill every day with a suitcase full of Registered mail ( Wages to post out to workers all over the country ) I think it would be a trifle dangerous to do that these days. :worried:

I know everyone waxes lyrical about the buildings that have gone but the Market Hall can't be one of them.
I remember the 'Market Hall' back in the fifties/sixties. What a dump. I used to be dragged around there by my mother in the wind and the rain.
Many people do wax lyrical about old buildings etc and are saddened by the demolition of the same. I can understand how they feel. I also have been saddened at the demise of buildings that I grew up with.

A few years ago now I was talking to the private owner of a castle, he said that all visitors enjoyed the property but it was him who had to pay for the upkeep. ,

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Architecturally the Market Hall was never a beauty, but it is still one of the Brum places that I miss the most. It was what it was, but nevertheless it was known by many as a symbol of Brum that should not have been demolished. Yes, sometimes it rained, Mort, but it was still a pleasure to go whether or not you actually bought anything, and Dad always bought a tray of plants. A trip there was also coupled with a trip to the the rag and fish markets, neither of which could be described as architectural masterpieces. The trouble with modern malls/shopping centres is that they are much the same in every city you go to.

Having said that, the photograph above is one of the best photographs I have ever seen of the front of the Market Hall. Thanks Rob.

Maurice :cool:

NO idea where I got them from but people need to "Right Click" & SAVE them for posterity.
The more people that do that, the less chance of them being lost forever.
Also.....that goes for any images I put up that my Father in Law took.........all I ask is you give him a credit.
Great photos thank you but some I have seen before.

Architecturally the Market Hall was never a beauty, but it is still one of the Brum places that I miss the most. It was what it was, but nevertheless it was known by many as a symbol of Brum that should not have been demolished. Yes, sometimes it rained, Mort, but it was still a pleasure to go whether or not you actually bought anything, and Dad always bought a tray of plants. A trip there was also coupled with a trip to the the rag and fish markets, neither of which could be described as architectural masterpieces. The trouble with modern malls/shopping centres is that they are much the same in every city you go to.

Having said that, the photograph above is one of the best photographs I have ever seen of the front of the Market Hall. Thanks Rob.

Hi Maurice, I agree with what you say about the Market Hall and Rag Market. For me so many happy memories, one favourite being a plate of whelks or penny winkles. Loved going there Saturday afternoons with my mom. I have mentioned this on another post. The Photo is great but a bit before my time. The other photo was late 50’s and I think it may have been one of Steve’s. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the post. That too was a great photo but more side on.. Many thanks to Steve, Tates and his father in law. Kind regards Sue

And three years before I was born, Sue, but this one is the first front-end-on pic of it that I have seen. And so much detail in these pics too. The remainer are generally taken at an angle and lack the detail.

And three years before I was born, Sue, but this one is the first front-end-on pic of it that I have seen. And so much detail in these pics too. The remainer are generally taken at an angle and lack the detail.

Lol
It is a great pic, I agree. Thank you for your response. Regards,

I remember that Peacocks as a sort of cheap tat version of Woolworths, and even us kids turned our noses up their pressed-steel cars and lorries, the usual tab into a slot constructions, which quite often broke within a couple of days. And bare wooden floors as I recollect. When we had a little birthday money so spend, even then we needed better value for money than could be obtained at Peacocks. We regarded it as somewhat of a joke store. This was back in the immediate post-war years.

A Vauxhall from just after WW2 follows a 1954-56 MG Magnette, designed by Gerald Palmer. Nice!
The Vauxhall was a pre war design, and although still being built until about 1948, it looks a bit... well, old!

A great record of the buildings in the photo in post #5863. You don’t often get a clear view of that section (right side of the photo) looking towards Spiceal Street.

Is it OK if I add it to our Bull Ring thread ? Viv.

. The Photo is great but a bit before my time. The other photo was late 50’s and I think it may have been one of Steve’s. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the post. That too was a great photo but more side on.. Many thanks to Steve, Tates and his father in law. Kind regards Sue
I think my photo was in the market thread

Goosemoor Lane Erdington 1904..........click for larger view.

View attachment 154684
Another pic of Goosemoor Lane
index.php

only visible if logged in

Back