• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Newtown Row 1950's
Here's an image I KNOW is NOT on here.
It was taken by my Father in Law Frank James from the bedroom window of the house they lived in.
If you look STRAIGHT up the road you can see the Aston Hippodrome & just in view on the left of where this image was taken from is Cowper Street.
I've tried to read the name of the factory opposite & it's seems to be Lloyds Lazarus if that rings a bell with anyone.
View attachment 154419
brilliant photos thanks for sharing it

lyn

I'm wondering if the little cafe was in New Meeting Street which was (is?) a tiny street running off High Street about the position you suggest?
I don't remember it myself but it seems a likely place?

Edit - was it this place?
View attachment 154440
It has to be ? Just been looking at some old photos of New Meeting Street and though they don’t ring true 100% , I think it’s because my memory is letting me down. Perhaps because at a young age, I didn’t take in the surroundings... and I always remember it being dark. Thank you so much for your help and info. Regards Sue

I knew the Stage Door and occasionally went in there, but it was not that as I really believe the entrance was on High Street. Round the other corner was my other favourite haunt, the Firebird. Susan, yes, full of smoke and both my younger brother, Roy, and his then girl friend were heavy smokers and that caused the emphysema that killed him last year. You can't smoke 60 a day for almost 60 years non-stop and expect to get away scot free. I don't think that the place was in operation for all that long. It was certainly going in late 1957, but I can't remember it still there in 1960 when the Firebird closed. The other coffee bar within a stones throw was at the top of Martineau Street opposite where, prior to 1953, the number 6 tram used to stop. I think at that point it became a bus stop.

Maurice :cool:

I knew the Stage Door and occasionally went in there, but it was not that as I really believe the entrance was on High Street. Round the other corner was my other favourite haunt, the Firebird. Susan, yes, full of smoke and both my younger brother, Roy, and his then girl friend were heavy smokers and that caused the emphysema that killed him last year. You can't smoke 60 a day for almost 60 years non-stop and expect to get away scot free. I don't think that the place was in operation for all that long. It was certainly going in late 1957, but I can't remember it still there in 1960 when the Firebird closed. The other coffee bar within a stones throw was at the top of Martineau Street opposite where, prior to 1953, the number 6 tram used to stop. I think at that point it became a bus stop.

Maurice :cool:
Thank you Maurice. I am talking about 1966. The Stage Door cafe looks too clean and decent I think. The “beatnik” cafe seemed so dark and dare I say it scruffy. This era wasn’t that important in my life but it was part of it, so I am just going to live with my memories. Kind regards,

Well maybe ONE more......lol
I did read that someone mentioned "The House That Jack Built".........
Well HERE it is..............View attachment 154404
Remember THTJB so well. I worked at Benton & Stone (Enots) in Aston Brook Street. There were six of us all getting married in the same year. Everyone of us shopped there, buying little things for our bottom drawer. ( don’t think they do that today). Regards,

Remember THTJB so well. I worked at Benton & Stone (Enots) in Aston Brook Street. There were six of us all getting married in the same year. Everyone of us shopped there, buying little things for our bottom drawer. ( don’t think they do that today). Regards,
I didn't think I would ever see it again. I used to go there on Saturdays.

I didn't think I would ever see it again. I used to go there on Saturdays.
Hi Lindy, It’s amazing really, you think you are never going to see certain places again and then it pops up on BHF. So grateful to the members who post these wonderful, forgotten places. To the people who had the hindsight to take the photographs too. Regards Sue

Newtown Row 1950's
Here's an image I KNOW is NOT on here.
It was taken by my Father in Law Frank James from the bedroom window of the house they lived in.
If you look STRAIGHT up the road you can see the Aston Hippodrome & just in view on the left of where this image was taken from is Cowper Street.
I've tried to read the name of the factory opposite & it's seems to be Lloyds Lazarus if that rings a bell with anyone.
View attachment 154419
My father-in-Law worked at that company. I seem to remember it became Spartan Steel in the 60s.

Corporation St showing Lewis's Dept store 1953.........click for a larger view

View attachment 154485
A good one for John from Staffs to do some vehicle identification, but is that an ambulance on Corporation Street lights and if so what make was it? When you look at the enlarged picture, it almost comes to life, you can feel the hustle and bustle of the City centre. Again apropos my previous remark, all the ladies in dresses and skirts and one or two females in hats, but not many gents in hats.
A super picture, keep them coming.

Bob

Last edited:
Chester Rd with Boldmere Rd (left) and Gravelly Lane (right) 1920.........you can see the bridge in the distance just before you come to The Yenton.................click for a larger view.

View attachment 154493
What a super view and not a 28 bus in sight, between 1940 and 1947 this was a sight I saw every school day as I headed to Green Lanes School I used to turn left into Boldmere Road and right into Sheffield? Road and over the lattice work footbridge. I used to have a friend lived in one of the big houses on the right hand side and of course in later years the Paviloin Cinema was on the right hand corner nearest the camera. Down by the railway bridge there was regularly parked a Hudson Terraplane motor car, a vehicle of seemingly huge proportions compared with the average British car.

Bob

What a super view and not a 28 bus in sight, between 1940 and 1947 this was a sight I saw every school day as I headed to Green Lanes School I used to turn left into Boldmere Road and right into Sheffield? Road and over the lattice work footbridge. I used to have a friend lived in one of the big houses on the right hand side and of course in later years the Paviloin Cinema was on the right hand corner nearest the camera. Down by the railway bridge there was regularly parked a Hudson Terraplane motor car, a vehicle of seemingly huge proportions compared with the average British car.

Bob
The Pavilion Cinema......was later a Bowling Alley........I have a pic somewhere.

Last edited:
Back