• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

We have the same sort of thing in our village, for just two buses a day! But no chairs and plain old white emulsioned concrete. Currently and at every Christmas it houses a nativity scene. In Park Lane, London, your shelter would have been commandeered by the homeless, Pete.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Hi Lady Penelope
many thanks for coming back to me and telling me of your up bringing and when you mentionioned aunty Ivy was your friends
sister and she is a member i have a feeling whom your are refereing to as she is a member very true
and she as been for a long time and her mother is my mothers cousin whom is or i should say because my mom died
afew years back unfortunely my mom was the only child to this member of the jelfs whom owned those shops on the aston road
and around birmingham and the city centre from the early 1930,s
and the mr jelf was my mothers grand father whom built up the coffe house brigade way back then around birmingham
along with his sons five sons whom all had a couple of kids each but sadly my mother was the only child to this one whom was ernest jelf each one was given a shop then one by one as they died they left to ivy at the end of the day
901 holly lane was actualy listed as Ivydene 901 tyburn road erdington
yes dunlop was a big supporter to grand father coffee shop by the employers and employees when he died
me and your friend whom i have been in contact with in the last 12 months have met up as we are cousins
and exchanged photos and i have given her alot of knowledge regarding the jelfs history on how they obtainained there wealth
and where they came from and going back centrys of there family tree
they had alot of shops around birmingham in the coffee houses and resturuants and a couple of booking shop[s
we was brought up right next to thompsons butchers shop i was that poor little kid whom used to sit and stand at there gates on the pavement from a very early age the men used to stop and talk to me i have photo of thompsons and the gates where i used to sit at
and i went to upper thomas street school as well
yes aunty ivy never got married she came to my grand fathers funeral in 1969 at victoria road aston
best wishes Alan,, Astonian;;;;
Hello I’m new here so not sure if I’m doing this right. I had an uncle named norman jelf who was always talking about his brother who ran a cafe in aston, not sure of his name.sadly norman passed away many years ago but his wife is still alive and lives in Solihull. Again new here so sorry to butt in..

Hi S.Shephard, welcome to the Birmingham History Forum. The original poster Astonian (Alan) died just over a year ago. We understand that he may have been related to the Jelf family who owned a café on the corner of Tyburn Road and Holly Lane.

Perhaps someone else with a great depth of knowledge than mine can help with your enquiry.

Hi S.Shephard, welcome to the Birmingham History Forum. The original poster Astonian (Alan) died just over a year ago. We understand that he may have been related to the Jelf family who owned a café on the corner of Tyburn Road and Holly Lane.

Perhaps someone else with a great depth of knowledge than mine can help with your enquiry.
Sorry to hear Astonian is no longer with us ( don't get on here as much as I used to !). Feeling that I've lost a very distant friend.
Welcome aboard S Shepherd.

RobT,

The Chine Hotel, Bournemouth (actually in Boscombe) - I used to play there with my trio back around 1969. Amazing that it should me advertised on an Aston Hipp programme.

Maurice back in Feb 2020 on the Aston Hippodrome thread you wrote:
Interesting to see that Fred Butterworth was the M.D. for that period. Fred had his finger in many pies in Bournemouth and owned the Boscombe Chine Hotel amongst several other enterprises. By the time I played there for a few months in the late 1960s / early 1970s, his son John had taken over. Fred owned a total of 18 theatres throught out the UK, including the local Boscombe Hippodrome, which was more recently being run as a club. Fred died in 1992.

astonfront--covers-final.jpg

There is this aerial view dated 1933 of a school in Windsor Street but it is on the corner of Forster Street and your mom would not have had to walk very far if this was the school she went to.
School close up identified from an old map
View attachment 134963

A view of the area. I posted this pic in #5399 and it was a link to the 'Then and Now' thread.
View attachment 134962

If it is the school maybe someone will have a street level pic of it.
An up-to-date aerial view is in a post link below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/post-639941
oldmohawk ...:)
OMG. I went to Windsor Street Primary School from 1953. The Headmaster was Mr Giles and Miss Soppitt was our Reception teacher.... Sooo lovely. I hope someone sees this thread from those days.

Was it this church?

Was it this church?
Thank you for the info on St Judes Church. I think I remember it. Thank you too for pointing me to A History of Churches. I do not do Facebook, so this is something else for me to enjoy. Kind regards, Sue

Was it this church?
Hi Do you know what happened to the Unitarian Domestic Mission in Hurst Street please? Sue

Hi Do you know what happened to the Unitarian Domestic Mission in Hurst Street please? Sue
I just had a look at the Unitarian Historical Society Website
If you page down till you come to West Midlands it lists various churches etc in Birmingham but I did not see the Mission that you mention. As a mission it would probably be recorded as part of its parent organisation, presumably the Church of the Messiah.

Back