• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

RobT,

The Chine Hotel, Bournemouth (actually in Boscombe) - I used to play there with my trio back around 1969. Amazing that it should me advertised on an Aston Hipp programme.

Maurice :cool:
Maurice back in Feb 2020 on the Aston Hippodrome thread you wrote:
Interesting to see that Fred Butterworth was the M.D. for that period. Fred had his finger in many pies in Bournemouth and owned the Boscombe Chine Hotel amongst several other enterprises. By the time I played there for a few months in the late 1960s / early 1970s, his son John had taken over. Fred owned a total of 18 theatres throught out the UK, including the local Boscombe Hippodrome, which was more recently being run as a club. Fred died in 1992.

Maurice :cool:
astonfront--covers-final.jpg

There is this aerial view dated 1933 of a school in Windsor Street but it is on the corner of Forster Street and your mom would not have had to walk very far if this was the school she went to.
School close up identified from an old map
View attachment 134963

A view of the area. I posted this pic in #5399 and it was a link to the 'Then and Now' thread.
View attachment 134962

If it is the school maybe someone will have a street level pic of it.
An up-to-date aerial view is in a post link below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/post-639941
oldmohawk ...:)
OMG. I went to Windsor Street Primary School from 1953. The Headmaster was Mr Giles and Miss Soppitt was our Reception teacher.... Sooo lovely. I hope someone sees this thread from those days.

Was it this church?

Was it this church?
Thank you for the info on St Judes Church. I think I remember it. Thank you too for pointing me to A History of Churches. I do not do Facebook, so this is something else for me to enjoy. Kind regards, Sue

Was it this church?
Hi Do you know what happened to the Unitarian Domestic Mission in Hurst Street please? Sue

Hi Do you know what happened to the Unitarian Domestic Mission in Hurst Street please? Sue
I just had a look at the Unitarian Historical Society Website
If you page down till you come to West Midlands it lists various churches etc in Birmingham but I did not see the Mission that you mention. As a mission it would probably be recorded as part of its parent organisation, presumably the Church of the Messiah.

I suppose miskins could be positioned to hide suffs, another word maybe known to folk who knew what miskins were ... :)
I had never heard a drain referred to as a 'suff' but looking through the 'old evening mail' pics, I noticed the word 'suff' in the caption underneath the 1960's Ladywood picture below.
Icknield_Port_Road_early_1960s.jpg

I remember going to Dymchurch in Kent early sixties to visit my moms oldest brother. One of the very few family holidays. My dad called the dustbin the miskin and my cousins hadn’t got a clue what he was talking about. Happy days.
I can remember my dad saying to me "You`d better bring the dog into the house, the middin men are coming "

I suppose miskins could be positioned to hide suffs, another word maybe known to folk who knew what miskins were ... :)
Wonderful picture old Mohawk. Can relate so much to it. I am back in my nans yard in Gopsal street. She lived further down than us and her yard was bigger. Two families shared the brewhouse in our yard and we had a communal toilet. I remember my mom lighting the fire under the the built in tub, in her wellies. A line of clean washing when we came home from school and leftovers from Sunday and hot rice pudding. I note that in a lot of old photographs yards are referred to as courts. I do not remember that at all. I have a couple of old photos of my nans yard somewhere,, cannot find them yet. I would love for you to see them. Kind regards,

Never heard of suff oldMohawk!!!!!! Are you a fake Brummie or are you posh
When I was a lad drains were drains and dustbins were dustbins ... never heard of suffs and miskins. I suppose we mainly put ash from the kitchen fire in our bin and maybe should have called it an ashbin. We used to call 'binmen' 'dustmen' ... I called them 'dustmen' in an old post from long ago
A dustman at work in Alexandra Rd, they carried the rubbish in tin baths on their heads. The dogs look a little excited but they stay on the footpath.
Our dog used to go berserk when dustmen came, he could hear them before they got near to our road.
index.php

My mum always told me & my brothers the clean the Suff outside, meaning the drain. Where the word comes from is a mystery. Maybe it is to do with the pipework. Never heard the word Miskins though. This is a new one.

When I was a lad drains were drains and dustbins were dustbins ... never heard of suffs and miskins. I suppose we mainly put ash from the kitchen fire in our bin and maybe should have called it an ashbin. We used to call 'binmen' 'dustmen' ... I called them 'dustmen' in an old post from long ago
I know my dear mum never called the waste bins Dustbins. She always called them "Ashbins", as it was where the ash from the fires were put.

With lavs being mentioned in #5756 some were so bad they removed them even in the old days ...as shown in a post below. No miskins or suffs in the pics.

Back