• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Brilliant photos, really brings my Dads stories alive. I've been unsuccessful in finding any pictures of the Ravenscroft Dairy on Millar street, close or next to the tram sheds, before it was taken out by the blitz raid a couple weeks after Coventry was leveled. If you have any thoughts on where else I might look I'd appreciate it , Cheers
If it is Miller Street you are referring to, there is a bomb damage photo in the quoted post below ... :)
Just another morning after a night of heavy bombing in Miller Street Aston. Most of the building has fallen on to the pavement and the roof is hanging off over that women standing on the debris looking at a gate. She seems to have said something which caught the attention of the two blokes in the pic.
index.php

Looking at the buildings, the dome like object on the tall part of the building looks interesting, it seems to have split apart. The tall building behind seems to have survived the blasts but is not there today so may have gone in the 1960s demolitions in that area.

It is difficult to pin the location but it seems to be on left side of Miller Street looking towards Newtown Row and halfway between Bracebridge St and Elkington St. A 1945 aerial view shows what appears to be a cleared area in that position and a hint of that large building in the background.

Welcome to the Forum, David. I have yet to find a photograph, but you've just missed this Ravenscroft milk bottle that was sold on eBay:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/milk-bot...911122?hash=item342e3ae552:g:JIcAAOSwuG9cb~vZ

EDIT: But it has just been re-listed and also here:-
https://picclick.co.uk/milk-bottle-nice-rare-early-swingstopper-Ravenscroft-224113911122.html

I've also added a copy of the Liquidation Notice. Very little else in the newspapers other than a job advert and an appeal to register to ensure your milk supply during the war.

Ravenscroft Liquidation.jpg

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Yes thanks I saw that one, was hoping to find a before image of the dairy my Grandad used to run until the bombs took it out. I'll just have to keep looking. Thanks for your response.
An aerial view dated 1951 looks as if it identifies the location of the Miller Street bomb damage photo.
I've marked the tall building which is seen in the background in the bomb damage photo and also placed an arrow showing direction of view. See the 3 extensions on the parapet and notice their spacing. Other views should eventually be able to identify all bomb damage locations in Miller Street by referring to a prewar aerial view.
Image3.jpg
click the image, zoom it, and scroll across to see close-up detail. aerial view is from the 'britainfromabove' website.

The Miller St bomb damage photo only visible if logged in.
index.php

Last edited:
Map from 1950 (showing numbering of properties in Miller Street
Above the word Corporation is newer tram depot building which replaced the section gutted after an air raid in April 1941.
Kelly's 1930 says 161 Miller Street - Ravencroft's dairymen
Kelly's 1955 says 155-167 Lewis F. Tubular Steel Furniture
" " " 155-167 Lewis F. Haulage Contractors

Miller Street.JPG

Miller street residents in 1920
Miller Streetresidents 1920.JPG

Last edited:
An interesting post about Miller Street with particular reference to the former tram/bus depot.

This aerial view dated 1951 shows the area on the map in post#5705. The house marked with the red dot appears to be house number 169 on the post#5705 map so where would numbers 161/163 be?
MillerSt_1951.jpg

A map below dated 1937 with number 169 marked. Regarding numbers 161/163 the properties east of Elkington St appear to be domestic housing.
1937_Map.jpg
aerial view is from the 'britainfromabove' website.

Last edited:
An interesting post about Miller Street with particular reference to the former tram/bus depot.
Alan, that is a VERY interesting article and history lesson!

This notice below shows some addresses.
1915Notice.jpg

The view below shows Miller Street in 1951 running diagonally from top left to bottom right. The houses on the nearest side (odd numbers) probably include numbers 155, 159 and 161 but I have not yet seen an old map with these house numbers on it. They look like domestic houses and although it is 10 years after the bombing I can't see signs of any bomb damage but they were quick to repair houses in the original styles back then.
1951_Miller_St.jpg

A good view of the Courts attached to some of the houses
1951MillerCourts.jpg
aerial views are from the 'britainfromabove' website.

Last edited:
I insured my first cars at P M Hart on Newtown Row. There was always a queue in there. The company moved to Great Barr at some point, but as far as I'm aware no longer exist.

I remember The House That Jack Built very well - it was one of my mother's favourite places for hardware and other bits and pieces.

G
L remember Phill Hart as a speeway rider for The Brummies Iwas born in Manchester St 936

This aerial view dated 1951 shows the area on the map in post#5705. The house marked with the red dot appears to be house number 169 on the post#5705 map so where would numbers 161/163 be?
View attachment 149147

A map below dated 1937 with number 169 marked. Regarding numbers 161/163 the properties east of Elkington St appear to be domestic housing.
View attachment 149148
aerial view is from the 'britainfromabove' website.
The area shown as Walmer Recreation Ground was known as Blews St Park (I always thought it was Blue St).
Dave A

I am trying to find what year this photo of ME and MY sister Joan was taken, There is a TROLLEY BUS in the background what year is this bus? I was born in 1933 Joan 1936 I look about 5 years old could this have been taken that long ago poss 1938?120508535_2860517364048281_7693947472795951242_n.jpg

Trolleybuses, that ran on the Coventry Road routes were introduced on 5th. January, 1934, continuing until 30th. June, 1951. I get the impression of 1939 is their still is an offside destination blind.

I am thinking that the trollybus that you see was one of 50 Leyland/Metro-Cammell bought in 1934 for the Coventry Road routes. Further buses were bought in 1939 and 1940 and all were withdrawn in 1951.

Re : aerial photos of Miller St. post #5710.

Here are 3 maps from 1950. I've attempted to rotate the first 2 to line them up with the photos a bit better.

Miller St 1.jpg
Elkington St is at the bottom. The houses within the bottom triangle seem to match.

Miller St 2.jpg
Again Elkington St is at the bottom, Miller St on the right.

Miller St 3.jpg
And here is Miller St in the vicinity of 155 to 161 but they're not there. Nothing between 107 & 169. I wonder if the numbering has changed because the older maps look pretty much the same.

Last edited:
W
right here we go folks.

lee bank road dated 1953

View attachment 117383

gt russell st dated 1965

View attachment 117384
We're in Lawrence st, Birmingham 4, United Kingdom...then July 11th, Cabramatta hostel, Sydney, Australia ( one month 2 days_Fairsky Italian ship) 9 mths old army corrugated barracks no fly screens/insulation, Dad says let's rent housing Liverpool, Sydney Australia...

Back