• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Pete,it was on the old dual carriageway.by the Clock pub on the Coventry Rd just passed the Old airport.Thought the Canvas roof was coming off.It really did 100 mph I can assure you

Hello everyone, I've really enjoyed reading through this thread over the past couple of days and viewing the wonderful photographs you have posted.

Our research into my Father's paternal side has lead us to Farm Street, Hockley, in particular, a café. I found an image of Peggy's café on the 'Farm Street' thread but wondered if anyone had any recollections of this café, and in particular those who owned or ran it between the years 1955 and 1965?

Any additional photos would also be most useful! Many thanks.

Learnt to swim there earnt my free pass then during the summer holidays go all the time had to stand in line some times to get in to many kids, the café was over the front entrance door was it Horlicks we would drink ?
If I remember rightly we'd drink Cow & Gate and it was a type of chocolate drink. I learned to swim there to. We had to do the swimming test each year to get the free pass but it was done from school. We went swimming every week from St Laurence's and walked there - strictly in a row and in pairs! I belonged to Northfield Swimming Club as well. Happy Days!

highfield place/granville place..anderton st ladywood...dated 1967

View attachment 117416

old square bottom right..date 1962

View attachment 117417

old square dated 1969...i remember these shops so well...it is said that they were just basically back filled and still remain more or less intact underground..

View attachment 117418

rear of milton st newtown dated 1962

View attachment 117419
Thanks Lyn great to see the place of my early years 41 Milton street is where I learned to ride my first bike from

Shoothill have the image below from the library collection tagged as Willis Street and I have lightened the right side of the image to show the 'Tea & Coffee' shop. On the right side of the shop window I can see written vertically what appears to be '69-71 Barr St'. Under the full image I have put an enlargement of the writing.
View attachment 134890
View attachment 134891
Barr Street was and is in the Hockley area

The pattern of entrances and the apparent end of the row of buildings at the corner with Hockley St fits the photo being Barr St.. Also around 1900 no 65 is lsited as a shopkeeper, which usually means general provisions and this would fit with tea and coffee sign. No 63 on the edge of the photo wasa pearl button works
Sorry my choice of colour for numbers hasn't shown up too well

View attachment 134911

So like a street in Coventry Grandad used to take me for a treat on Saturday. The Weaving houses looked like these. That took me right back! I think all the window frames were painted a chocolate brown or a very dark green. One of them had a lady who sold pork batches from her window. She was stingy though!

I don't know if the Coventry ones were back to backs as nobody we knew walked round the back, not even dad and he was from that area and it had been heavily bombed too. I remember Grandad showing me the roughest pub in Cov, he said, The Ring O' Bells, where the landlady was battered to death during the war. I always looked down the road at if, feeling scared. It was behind these houses. I am shuddering now!

My sister lived in Bankes Road from the early 50s until about 2000 when she moved to retirement flats in Hall Green. It was a lovely road. Unfortunately I can’t remember the number; it was about half way in the dip. I spent many happy times visiting her and staying there when I was a lad and my parents were on holiday. She is not in the Coronation picture, I think that then she came to our family home in Guildford Street. Her married name was Doris Cridge. The Cridge family lived in the Peaky Blinders area near Garrison Lane and were a mixture of English, Italian an Irish
My dad lived there in the 40s and 50s I think ...the field family

Brilliant photos, really brings my Dads stories alive. I've been unsuccessful in finding any pictures of the Ravenscroft Dairy on Millar street, close or next to the tram sheds, before it was taken out by the blitz raid a couple weeks after Coventry was leveled. If you have any thoughts on where else I might look I'd appreciate it , Cheers

Back