• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

How to build a bham city bus from Meccano bits you sure would need a lot of screws.

Whoever took the pic.made the bus passengers smile................................................ spelling sorry

Last edited:
Most of the pages of the magazines are available to download. at http://meccano.magazines.free.fr/months.htm
The relevant article pages for this are:
Mike
Thanks very much indeed, disappointed of course I had hoped to see a model, but you would need an awful lot of nuts and bolts as mw0njm said. I must admit I have now got to find the page with the skimmer scoop on it to find out what a skimmer scoop was.

Bob

Mike
Thanks very much indeed, disappointed of course I had hoped to see a model, but you would need an awful lot of nuts and bolts as mw0njm said. I must admit I have now got to find the page with the skimmer scoop on it to find out what a skimmer scoop was.

Bob
Hello Bob. I just checked on Bing, & they sat it is a flat bottomed spoon type implement for skimming the top of the oil in a chip shop. Apparently, the chinese use a similar thing but is called a spider. Hope this helps.

Mike
Thanks very much indeed, disappointed of course I had hoped to see a model, but you would need an awful lot of nuts and bolts as mw0njm said.

Bob
Here's a model for you, built by a friend of mine.
There are still Meccano enthusiasts building models today from all round the world.
The South Birmingham Meccano Club (SBMC) still hold meetings twice a year, April & October, at Hall Green Baptist Church, this is where we have been meeting for the last 46 years! Members are mainly of the senior age group, but any Meccano enthusiasts who would like to join the South Birmingham Meccano Club can do so, as long as they are willing to attend twice yearly meetings in Hall Green send me a private message if interested.
Enthusiasm and a genuine interest in model-building in MECCANO are the only qualifications.

DSC_4425-1R-(3).jpg

Last edited:
Hello Bob. I just checked on Bing, & they sat it is a flat bottomed spoon type implement for skimming the top of the oil in a chip shop. Apparently, the chinese use a similar thing but is called a spider. Hope this helps.
A skimmer is mostly used in kitchens - or any place where cooking is done - to remove surface scum from boiling meats, separating cream from the surface of boiling milk, the surplus batter (as in the quoted post) in chippies and so on.
Other skimmers were for more industrial or gardening usage.
There are two or three kitchen types in my kitchen but I use a kiddies fishing net for my pond. ;)
Then of course there is the newer type of skimmer usually associated with credit card fraud!!

Last edited:
The photograph in post 1861 showing Lawley street. Can anyone confirm that the company just out of the photograph was G H Bloore Ltd. which dealt in plastics. My Dad worked there in the 60's and seventy's.
regards John.
Hi John i can confirm that the marginal view of the building is J Saviile Gordon which was indeed next to G H Bloore Ltd i worked there 1975-1978 and i get the feeling i may have worked with your dad - was his name Tommy Bevan?. I worked in the office and Tommy was a Driver for them.

My sister lived in Bankes Road from the early 50s until about 2000 when she moved to retirement flats in Hall Green. It was a lovely road. Unfortunately I can’t remember the number; it was about half way in the dip. I spent many happy times visiting her and staying there when I was a lad and my parents were on holiday. She is not in the Coronation picture, I think that then she came to our family home in Guildford Street. Her married name was Doris Cridge. The Cridge family lived in the Peaky Blinders area near Garrison Lane and were a mixture of English, Italian an Irish
I lived in Gordon Street during the 1960s and the Cridges ran the greengrocers on the corner of Garrison Lane and Barwell Road.

Brilliant, thank you very much and look at all those nuts and bolts. It is a better representation than some of the models (Forward excepted) that appear on Ebay

Bob
Here's a description for building a Meccano Bus from the March 1954 Meccano Magazine Page 140.
Also shown photo of model built in Birmingham colours, by a friend Sid, lives in Hall Green, been making Meccano models for nearly the last 70 years.

View attachment 140785View attachment 140786
Looks absolutely brilliant Rob. I myself, am currently building a 1:12 scale model of a 1966 Routemaster from London at the moment. Should be finished in around 20 weeks or so.

My parents bought me quite a large Meccano set and steam engine completely ignoring my lack of mechanical skills.
My Dad said he would help construct the windmill etc but overlooked that he wasnt an engineer but a head waiter and had little time at home.
It was eventually built ,fired up and dismantled and passed on. Anyone who builds buses has my admiration !

My parents bought me quite a large Meccano set and steam engine completely ignoring my lack of mechanical skills.
My Dad said he would help construct the windmill etc but overlooked that he wasnt an engineer but a head waiter and had little time at home.
It was eventually built ,fired up and dismantled and passed on. Anyone who builds buses has my admiration !
Hello Tim. One of the great things about model building, whether it be Maccano or like I am doing at the moment, it does not matter about having engineering skills, as I think quite anybody could create masterpieces, though it may take a little longer. They are great passtimes to have. Building these models is a great stress buster. Will share a photo or 2 when my bus is completed.

Back