• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

This was on Twitter, posted by Birmingham Museum Images. It's Bordesley Green with the tram going to High Street. My husband thinks the roads to either side are Blake Lane and Churchill Road.View attachment 140179
This picture was posted (372) in 2013 on the Bordesley Green thread, without comment. The post card, posted by someone in Churchill Road, is said to be around 1912 but the tram route box suggests after 1915. Route 11 was High Street to Blake Lane which is where the tram in the photo is terminating. In 1928 it was extended as the 90 to Stechford, becoming bus route 53 in 1948. Apparently the corner shop of J.R.Burn was a tobacconists,

Pool Way Post Office opened in 1961. It’s not there now, the grounds all flat, and below it is the man in a bowler hat. My mum had to go to Lea Village P.O. for Family Allowance etc.before that. I think until that time the Post Code was B26a, then became B33 after the opening.
Wasn't there a post office among the temporary shops that were built on the edge of the park before the main shopping centre was built. We lived in Garretts Green which was "B'ham 33" well before the days of postcodes.

Wasn't there a post office among the temporary shops that were built on the edge of the park before the main shopping centre was built. We lived in Garretts Green which was "B'ham 33" well before the days of postcodes.
I don’t think so. My mum wouldn’t have walked all the way to Lea Village if there had been a PO “over the fields” as we used to say.

can remember my mom having curlers under her head scarf and that make me really smile only buried mom Monday she was 92 had 12 kids and loads of grand kids every one loved mom she was an angel in disguise
waswigg
Sorry to hear that. But sounds like she had a good, long life. They were a strong generation. Life’s never the same without your mom and dad though!!

My deepest condolences to you & your family waswigg. I lost my mum 12 years ago & still miss her, though it does get a little easier. You will be forever in my prayers.
I lost my mom 6 years ago and I miss her every day. I m always thinking of the funny things she used to say, in fact I’ve started to say them myself ! She’s always in my heart.

Some beautiful, personal recollections here. My mother went out of my life 80 years ago, although I do think of her. However, I have better memories of my late mother-in-law, a lovely person who kept her thoughts to herself and never interfered. I had the pleasure of knowing her for nearly forty years and much of the acumen my wife possesses was gained from her.

Some beautiful, personal recollections here. My mother went out of my life 80 years ago, although I do think of her. However, I have better memories of my late mother-in-law, a lovely person who kept her thoughts to herself and never interfered. I had the pleasure of knowing her for nearly forty years and much of the acumen my wife possesses was gained from her.
That’s so nice to hear Radiorails, as very often Mothers-in-law are the butt of all sorts of jokes aren’t they ? I hope my sons’ future wives will have such lovely memories of me!!

Back