• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

The photographer is standing in Lickey Road looking towards Birmingham where the Bristol Road turns off towards the west. Buildings of the the Austin Motor Co Ltd on the right. The hump in the road behind the bus is the bridge over the Halesowen Branch line and ten bar telegraph poles stretch towards Birmingham. No date but probably pre 1920.
View attachment 127097
Well how things change I walked that road going to school then down Longbridge Lane passing the Austin factory, by the time I had to make the walk it became a dual carriage way tram tracks had come and gone that junction became a roundabout and the entrance to Austins became gate K, love the picture I wonder what was the reason for taking it

Westminster Bank ? can you imagine a bank looking like that today ? looks more your old uncle Bill's place he turned into a bank.
That branch was my bank when I first came to Birmingham in 1967. Long gone, but similar to many other small branches that came about when more and more people were getting bank accounts and needing easy access to a branch when this was necessary as no internet or cash machines then.
Would add that I would prefer a proper bank like that when I need to go into a branch, unlike that which seems to be getting to be the new fashion - No counters, but a man/woman who takes your name, gets you to sit down and then you have to wait for 20 mins or more to make the simplest transaction

Last edited:
Moving even further up Bristol Rd we come to the Village of Bournebrook.
Patrick Motors been in that building many a time on Thursday at 11.00 am to pick up the pay packets for Dawlish road Patrick's back then as we all know all cash and the missing corner on the packet my job sit in the passenger seat with the money tray on my lap and hope to god I did not get clobberd in a robbery I got picked because I was big young and dumb.

Along with these 3 final views of the Bristol Rd at Longbridge I'm adding this view of Longbrige Station from the platform side and this one of The Old Mill on West Heath Rd.
Great pics Phil my old stomping ground as a kid the line ran at the back of my home when I was a kid and back then steam trains still ran Longbridge to Rubery I never saw the station at longbridge in operation by the time I went to school the line was no longer used but we would walk the old line from Colmers Farm School and come out at the bridge when we waged the afternoon off. the pic of the tram lines splitting must be at the Lickey Road Bristol Road junction on the south side of the bridge were now is the traffic island and back in the day gate K in to the Austin's the site of many a strike protest in the 70's
Before continuing on down Bristol Rd South toward Rubery I'm going to cheat a little and post these two sets of photos of the Lickey terminus, simply because for most of us it was the end of the long bus or tram ride that we took on Bank holidays or other special occasions.
the first pic is at the top of the Lickey Road with Jim Fletcher's place the amusement arcade the bus is about to turn hard left in to the terminus.
the 3rd pic shows the candy floss store closed and boarded at the time of the pic in the shoping strip the newsagents was there Pickins
the 4th pic is the Old Hare and Hounds pub still there today
5th pic is the line waiting for the #62 bus to head back towards town, the white building are toilets and that the woman's end the Lickey's got to see so many people and the lines got so big waiting on trams that building could handle a lot looking to spend a penny, you can see the pub in the left corner and the arcade

Thanks from me too Phil,...for me it's been a trip down memory lane of going to my Nan and Grandads in Rubery on the bus once a fortnight for many years as a child, with my Mom and Brother...getting the 58 or 60 from Sheldon into town, going through the market to get fresh haddock (for when we got home) then to the smelly bus depot to catch the 144 ...along the Bristol Road to The Rose and Crown in the village, a journey that seemed to take forever..in fact we spent more time on the bus than we did visiting ! But although some of the scenes in the photos were a bit before my time, there are a lot of the landmarks which my Brother and I used to look for which told us how much longer we would be on the bus.. The Royal Orthopaedic, Kalamazoo, The Black Horse and the bridge to name a few, but the best sight of all was The Austin and the island were the bus turned towards Rubery :)
Occasionally our Uncle would take us up to the Lickeys as a treat or we would walk down the village and fetch "proper" Lardy Cake to have with a lovely cup of tea made from leaves and in a teapot..Nan's tea was the only tea I would drink, I've haven't touched the stuff since she sadly passed away.
Grandad used to work at The QE, two of my Uncles worked at the Austin and Moms first job was in The Chemist at the top of the village..her cousin worked in the one at the bottom end.
Here is a photo the Chemist in about 1915 and one of Mom at The Chemist, circa 1955
View attachment 78775View attachment 78464
The 144 midland red all the way to the Malvern Hills, the bus depot just up from the Silver Blades Ice Rink, Rose and Crown pub worked across the street from it parked my car in their car park worked at Owen's GarageAustin dealer later to become AMR Motors Datsun/Nissan dealer now long gone building got torn down my time there early 70's

International Co-operative Day is an annual celebration of the co-operative movement observed on the first Saturday in July since 1923 by the International Co-operative Alliance. taken from Wikipedia .....The photo in question looks like it was taken in the 1920's just by looking at the head wear of some of the girls.....biggest question now , is where was it taken ?....
Imteresting picture. Did Birmingham police have spikes on their helmets, if so, when?

The giveaway signs should be the 3 small windows on the pub and the ornate support (next to the M of Mitchells).
I have looked through all the pictures I can find of Aston pubs and the only 2 that come anywhere near being a match are:

The Royal Oak at Pritchett Street

and

The White Horse on Victoria Street

Insufficient detail on the photos to pick out the ornate support though. Very intriguing.

Is this going to be another 'where is this No. 8 bus' ?

The giveaway signs should be the 3 small windows on the pub and the ornate support (next to the M of Mitchells).
I have looked through all the pictures I can find of Aston pubs and the only 2 that come anywhere near being a match are:

The Royal Oak at Pritchett Street

and

The White Horse on Victoria Street

Insufficient detail on the photos to pick out the ornate support though. Very intriguing.

Is this going to be another 'where is this No. 8 bus' ?
The White Horse is an Atkinson House

Welcome, I hope you find something of interest here.
Dartmouth Auto Castings is mentioned in these two threads:

Ray T

The pub on the corner of Montpelier Street was the Cottage of Content the shop on the other corner was a grocers shop the Bakery was on the corner of Long Street. The Railway a Davenports house was further up Kyrwicks Lane. The barber next to the old bakery premises was R Winnet (Ronnie) I think as I never used him, the chip shop was "Ickies" a W.Hickman who had the shop as long as I can remember he must have retired, packed it in or died in the early 70's because after then it had new owners.
Ray T

The pub on the corner of Montpelier Street was the Cottage of Content the shop on the other corner was a grocers shop the Bakery was on the corner of Long Street. The Railway a Davenports house was further up Kyrwicks Lane. The barber next to the old bakery premises was R Winnet (Ronnie) I think as I never used him, the chip shop was "Ickies" a W.Hickman who had the shop as long as I can remember he must have retired, packed it in or died in the early 70's because after then it had new owners.

Hi Lyn, Just gone through all the old Pic's again re visiting a lot of old memories of the old Days, I left in 1970 moved too
Devon then onto Cornwall in1977 still here but the old heart stings give me a pull now and then.... Still really proud to be borne and bred in BRUM PETE EXPAT

Hi Lyn, Just gone through all the old Pic's again re visiting a lot of old memories of the old Days, I left in 1970 moved too
Devon then onto Cornwall in1977 still here but the old heart stings give me a pull now and then.... Still really proud to be borne and bred in BRUM PETE EXPAT

hi pete hope you are well..good to see you posting again and you know the old saying...you can take the lad out of brum but cant take brum out of the lad

lyn

Back